Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis Thread - 2012

Started by rjd2, May 31, 2012, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

French is on and Wimbledon and Olympics to follow so maybe a thread is deserved even its just me wittering away.

Anyways its been a fun few days, Serena lost a demented game against Razzano where the French lady needed 30 minutes to serve it out. The good news it throws the women side wide open as  their is numerous potential winners. Sadly the odious Sharpova is favorite now. I wouldn't be to confident however, Azarenka, Kvitova, Aggy, Na Li and Kerber are all genuine contenders.

Not as many runners in the men's side sadly. Novak, Federer, Berdych, Verdasco and Del Potro have all been put in the first half while Rafa's main obstacles to another final are Ferrer a man who he beats on a weekly basis on clay, Almagro another Spaniard who he hammers, Gasquet and erm Andy Murray.

Speaking of whom, Murray had a surreal game against Jarko Niemenen, Murray was barely able to walk for 2 sets and Jarko bottled it. Murray did get better obviously but really is it worth getting injured in a Slam where he has zero chance to win?

Also Isner lost in a six hour match tonight, final set 18-16! Crazy match.

Anyways anyone else watching?

BlodwynPig

Yes, but slowly losing interest as the French women players tumble out as per usual.

rjd2

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 31, 2012, 10:50:01 PM
Yes, but slowly losing interest as the French women players tumble out as per usual.

Surely the lovely Kerber, Goerges to name just two will keep you interested?

Mr_Simnock

"Murray did get better obviously but really is it worth getting injured in a Slam where he has zero chance to win"

Well the money and vital ranking points plus there egos always ensure they bend over backwards to continue until retirement forces them out. For example if Murray was to pull out during his third round match he will take a 47,000 Euro cheque but if he limps on and risks more injury but wins and goes on to pull out in the fourth round he will get 80,000 Euros to help get over his loss (boo hoo). I am expecting Radwanska in the Womens final this time, her form has been amazing of late and also this being her best year on clay. my two peneth.

rjd2

Radwanska has to get past Azarenka to reach the final and sadly Aggie has been totally destroyed in their last few encounters. I also like a twit forgot about Li and Stosur when discussing possible female winners. Very open this year isn't it?

Mr_Simnock

Well she has beaten Azarenka 3 times in her career ( I know she has lost lots of times ) but in her current form I think she could do it again now, she is just growing a lot as a player at the mo.

Famous Mortimer

I've been leaving it on while I've been unpacking the stuff at my new house, and I've enjoyed quite a lot of the matches. I'm disappointed I won't get to ogle Serena Williams until the next tournament, but there's the big four men to watch, and they all seem to be playing really well (well, apart from Murray, obviously, hope he's alright).

BlodwynPig

Last French lady out :(

Stop posing and play tennis....tut, honestly!

rjd2

Lovely Aggy is out, lost to Kuznetsova in straight sets, always going to be a tricky encounter when you consider Kuznetsova's class and the fact she leads the head to head.

Famous Mortimer

The thing I've enjoyed the most, I think, is Jim Courier's commentary. He's a complete natural at it (or he trained hard after stopping as a player, I suppose) and has the benefit of being a recent world no.1, and can talk with a great deal of knowledge about the games, training, tactics and so on. I would be very happy if the BBC hired him to commentate on Wimbledon (although it's probably going to be McEnroe again).

rjd2

Azarenka was defeated today by the always entertaining and very attractive Cibulkova. Understandably Sharapova is clear favorite but from a betting viewpoint she is 6/4 and that is not attractive at all. She still will have to beat Wozniacki slayer Kanepi and probably Li or Kvitova to reach the final. In the other half its very open, winner of Errani v Kerber plays Stosur or Cibulkova in the semi finals. Very difficult to call those games.

Novak recovered from 2 sets down against the underrated Seppi while Federer needed 4 against Goffin. Federer has dropped sets so far on paper against mediocre opposition but Mahut and today Goffin were fantastic.

Tomorrow Murray v Gasquet is pick of the matches, always memorable games when they play.Del Potro always finishes his match with Berdych, Potty is 2-1 up.

I am hoping Monaco will make give Nadal his first real challenge here but I remember their previous clay match in the Davis cup and it was a bloodbath so its unlikely.

rjd2

Quote from: rjd2 on June 03, 2012, 10:34:03 PM

I am hoping Monaco will make give Nadal his first real challenge here but I remember their previous clay match in the Davis cup and it was a bloodbath so its unlikely.

Monaco got 2 games, that's a result that should terrify everyone, Monaco is pretty close to top ten so a mug he isn't.

Murray about to go 2-1 up against Gasquet who played superbly to win the win the first set but after losing a close 2nd has been killed in the 3rd.

selectivememory

Glad to see Tsonga through, I'd imagine he should produce a great match up in the QF with Djokovich. Murray looks good too for a QF, good turnaround from him today, although Gasquet has faded badly. But Nadal indeed looks like the smart choice for the tournament, surely Djokovich is the only one who has a chance of defeating him on clay at the moment.

Mr_Simnock

Well pop went my prediction didn't it with Radwanska, oh well. Its been interesting in the womens half, well for me anyway. Na Li dropping out to the world 142 Shvedova and Sharapova scraping through. Wonder who could win it this year. I was worried after the first set with Murray but he seems to be remembering how to play tennis again now he is looking like he will wrap up that match shortly.

biggytitbo

Murray ruthlessly swatting notorious metal midget Gasquet aside here.

rjd2

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 04, 2012, 07:07:43 PM
Murray ruthlessly swatting notorious metal midget Gasquet aside here.

Not much resistance from Gasquet in the last 2 sets really. It's going to be totally different against Ferrer who has been playing very good all year especially in his last few games and may just be to relentless for Murray. Other 3 quarters

Nadal v Almagro

Almagro is talented but Nadal has battered him on this surface before, I'd expect a little more of a challenge from Almagro than what he got from Monaco but Nadal should go through in 3.

Federer v Del Potro

Federer has beaten Potty non stop all year but I was impressed with Del Potro against Berdych. Might be an upset here if Del potro can get of to a good start. They played before in the 2009 semi final and Del Potro lost in five in a game which he should have won.

Djokovic v Tsonga

Crowd will help Tsonga but surely Novak is the better clay courter?

selectivememory

Ah, I love Tsonga when he plays like he is at the moment. He keeps it up this match could go on for quite some time.

rjd2

Aye when in the zone, he is amazing to watch. Still expect Novak to come through.

I am switching between that and Del Potro and Federer, Federer has been very erratic all game, if Del Potro can take the 2nd set, it could be grim for Federer.

Both are fun matches though.

rjd2

Del Potro 2-0 up, a real test of Federer right now. I want Del Potro to go through, firstly for financial reasons and I have no interest in seeing Nadal batter Federer in another final here.

selectivememory

Yeah, I find Federer unbearably smug so always enjoy seeing him lose, I'd love to see any of Djokovic/Murray/Tsonga win the tournament, but realistically only Djokovic or maybe Del Potro have any chance against Nadal on clay. Still, Tsonga keeping the quality up at the moment, but he needs this third set badly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tsonga on top - two sets to 1 up- crowd loving it. Does he have the bottle, the consistency to do this?

rjd2

Del Potro getting battered now, he is no mental midget so hopefully he can compose himself and make a probable fifth set difficult for Federer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They reckon Del Potro's knee (I think) has gone, so Federer might get out of jail here.

buntyman

Federer has the match won now, the Djokovic match is where it's at. Strange seeing such high quality sporting entertainment on ITV4.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So, the old chestnut has come up that Federer hasn't won his slams against the best, and in particular Djokovic and Nadal. May as well let the stats do the talking-

QuoteWinner    2003    Wimbledon (1)    Grass    Australia Mark Philippoussis    7–6(7–5), 6–2, 7–6(7–3)
Winner    2004    Australian Open (1)    Hard    Russia Marat Safin    7–6(7–3), 6–4, 6–2
Winner    2004    Wimbledon (2)    Grass    United States Andy Roddick    4–6, 7–5, 7–6(7–3), 6–4
Winner    2004    US Open (1)    Hard    Australia Lleyton Hewitt    6–0, 7–6(7–3), 6–0
Winner    2005    Wimbledon (3)    Grass    United States Andy Roddick    6–2, 7–6(7–2), 6–4
Winner    2005    US Open (2)    Hard    United States Andre Agassi    6–3, 2–6, 7–6(7–1), 6–1
Winner    2006    Australian Open (2)    Hard    Cyprus Marcos Baghdatis    5–7, 7–5, 6–0, 6–2
Runner-up    2006    French Open (1)    Clay    Spain Rafael Nadal    6–1, 1–6, 4–6, 6–7(4–7)
Winner    2006    Wimbledon (4)    Grass    Spain Rafael Nadal    6–0, 7–6(7–5), 6–7(2–7), 6–3
Winner    2006    US Open (3)    Hard    United States Andy Roddick    6–2, 4–6, 7–5, 6–1
Winner    2007    Australian Open (3)    Hard    Chile Fernando González    7–6(7–2), 6–4, 6–4
Runner-up    2007    French Open (2)    Clay    Spain Rafael Nadal    3–6, 6–4, 3–6, 4–6
Winner    2007    Wimbledon (5)    Grass    Spain Rafael Nadal    7–6(9–7), 4–6, 7–6(7–3), 2–6, 6–2
Winner    2007    US Open (4)    Hard    Serbia Novak Djokovic    7–6(7–4), 7–6(7–2), 6–4
Runner-up    2008    French Open (3)    Clay    Spain Rafael Nadal    1–6, 3–6, 0–6
Runner-up    2008    Wimbledon (1)    Grass    Spain Rafael Nadal    4–6, 4–6, 7–6(7–5), 7–6(10–8), 7–9
Winner    2008    US Open (5)    Hard    United Kingdom Andy Murray    6–2, 7–5, 6–2
Runner-up    2009    Australian Open (1)    Hard    Spain Rafael Nadal    5–7, 6–3, 6–7(3–7), 6–3, 2–6
Winner    2009    French Open (1)    Clay    Sweden Robin Söderling    6–1, 7–6(7–1), 6–4
Winner    2009    Wimbledon (6)    Grass    United States Andy Roddick    5–7, 7–6(8–6), 7–6(7–5), 3–6, 16–14
Runner-up    2009    US Open (1)    Hard    Argentina Juan Martín del Potro    6–3, 6–7(5–7), 6–4, 6–7(4–7), 2–6
Winner    2010    Australian Open (4)    Hard    United Kingdom Andy Murray    6–3, 6–4, 7–6(13–11)
Runner-up    2011    French Open (4)    Clay    Spain Rafael Nadal    5–7, 6–7(3–7), 7–5, 1–6

So he has beaten Nadal and Djokovic in a grand slam final- perhaps before they were both considered greats, but done nevertheless! Also beaten Andre Agassi, Safin (a major winner) and Roddick (another major winner) 3 times at Wimbledon, who like it or not was a strong contender at Wimbledon, and not mentally weak. Only 5 of those he's played against are not major winners.

And only lost to Nadal and Del Potro at that stage.

Let's check Nadal-

QuoteWinner    2005    French Open    Clay    Argentina Mariano Puerta    6–7(6–8), 6–3, 6–1, 7–5
Winner    2006    French Open (2)    Clay    Switzerland Roger Federer    1–6, 6–1, 6–4, 7–6(7–4)
Runner-up    2006    Wimbledon    Grass    Switzerland Roger Federer    0–6, 6–7(5–7), 7–6(7–2), 3–6
Winner    2007    French Open (3)    Clay    Switzerland Roger Federer    6–3, 4–6, 6–3, 6–4
Runner-up    2007    Wimbledon (2)    Grass    Switzerland Roger Federer    6–7(7–9), 6–4, 6–7(3–7), 6–2, 2–6
Winner    2008    French Open (4)    Clay    Switzerland Roger Federer    6–1, 6–3, 6–0
Winner    2008    Wimbledon    Grass    Switzerland Roger Federer    6–4, 6–4, 6–7(5–7), 6–7(8–10), 9–7
Winner    2009    Australian Open    Hard    Switzerland Roger Federer    7–5, 3–6, 7–6(7–3), 3–6, 6–2
Winner    2010    French Open (5)    Clay    Sweden Robin Söderling    6–4, 6–2, 6–4
Winner    2010    Wimbledon (2)    Grass    Czech Republic Tomáš Berdych    6–3, 7–5, 6–4
Winner    2010    US Open    Hard    Serbia Novak Djokovic    6–4, 5–7, 6–4, 6–2
Winner    2011    French Open (6)    Clay    Switzerland Roger Federer    7–5, 7–6(7–3), 5–7, 6–1
Runner-up    2011    Wimbledon (3)    Grass    Serbia Novak Djokovic    4–6, 1–6, 6–1, 3–6
Runner-up    2011    US Open    Hard    Serbia Novak Djokovic    2–6, 4–6, 7–6(7–3), 1–6
Runner-up    2012    Australian Open    Hard    Serbia Novak Djokovic    7–5, 4–6, 2–6, 7–6(7–5), 5–7

So massive dominance on clay, that amazing 2008, and then losing to the rising star Djokovic. Otherwise a similar range of players people lambast Federer for playing easy finals against.

Djokovic?

QuoteRunner-up    2007    US Open    Hard    Switzerland Roger Federer    6–7(4–7), 6–7(2–7), 4–6
Winner    2008    Australian Open    Hard    France Jo-Wilfried Tsonga    4–6, 6–4, 6–3, 7–6(7–2)
Runner-up    2010    US Open (2)    Hard    Spain Rafael Nadal    4–6, 7–5, 4–6, 2–6
Winner    2011    Australian Open (2)    Hard    United Kingdom Andy Murray    6–4, 6–2, 6–3
Winner    2011    Wimbledon    Grass    Spain Rafael Nadal    6–4, 6–1, 1–6, 6–3
Winner    2011    US Open    Hard    Spain Rafael Nadal    6–2, 6–4, 6–7(3–7), 6–1
Winner    2012    Australian Open (3)    Hard    Spain Rafael Nadal    5–7, 6–4, 6–2, 6–7(5–7), 7–5

Beaten Nadal at 3 slams, lost to Federer at the height of Federer's powers.

I think the conclusion you have to reach is that they are all peaking at different times, and historically there are a few overlaps where there are titanic battles.

It's fair to say Federer's dominance created a weakness whereby he was so used to not being challenged he found it more difficult when one came along, but his dominance was earned and deserved. Djokovic sometimes goes off his game during a match which is his weakness, but doesn't have any difficulties against pressure any more. Nadal just churns it out over and over and over, mentally stronger than anyone alive, but likewise that consistency level is like a watermark- it doesn't really change, and everyone knows what it takes to beat him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As if to emphasize the point, Djokovic saves 2 match points.

selectivememory

Well Djokovic just showcased some of the qualities that make him the best in the world at the moment.

buntyman

Yeah, he did brilliantly to save those match points, finishing the points quickly with blasted winners.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Another match point saved/thrown away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!