Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four

Started by daf, June 01, 2012, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

I can't believe there's not a thread for this.

I'm hooked on these.

This years highlight so far :
Jimmy Savile's 'Twin Brother' Percy introducing
a young Adam Buxton's flat as a pancake rendition of "We'll gather lilacs" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocoJLH9paTw

You wont get that on TOTP2!

GoochDogHigh5s

It just highlights what a bunch cunts those DJs were back then
How shit Flick Corby was as a choreographer
They did not know how to pick a hit. Most of the stuff they play never got in the top 20
They ignored punk until it was no longer possible to do so. The edition this week was the first to have anything like a punk act (The Jam) and Kid (Cunt0 Jenson called it New Wave.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: daf on June 01, 2012, 04:17:04 PM
I can't believe there's not a thread for this.

I'm hooked on these.

This years highlight so far :
Jimmy Savile's 'Twin Brother' Percy introducing
a young Adam Buxton's flat as a pancake rendition of "We'll gather lilacs" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocoJLH9paTw

You wont get that on TOTP2!

Amazingly it was a massive hit! He also wrote the Eastenders theme tune.

George Oscar Bluth II

Legs and Co's dance to Hotel California was the most insane thing I've seen on TV this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaL4c7bk05c

Basically they were dressed as matadors with comedy moustaches on. Obviously

It was the most insane thing I'd seen on TV until a few weeks ago when there was this unfathomably awful song where a woman was duetting with Punch from Punch and Judy.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 01, 2012, 06:44:08 PM
It was the most insane thing I'd seen on TV until a few weeks ago when there was this unfathomably awful song where a woman was duetting with Punch from Punch and Judy.

"Ah, ah, oh no you don't NAUGHTY NAUGHT NAUGHTY! That aint the way to do it... Oh no it aint / yes it is / no it isn't / yes it is / oh what a PITTTTTTTY!"

Seeing this on BBC4 filled in a 33 year memory hole and I remembered every word.

George Oscar Bluth II

Human beings, presumably ones with ears, paid money for that record and listened to it in their own time.

Wow.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 01, 2012, 07:15:40 PM
Human beings, presumably ones with ears, paid money for that record and listened to it in their own time.

Wow.

Just for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMPth4LlO2M&feature=player_embedded

daf

I love Kid Jensen's (mostly) rhyming intros - so far we've had :

"Another half hour of super sound and view for you" (view? Vision surely!)

"It's your weekly shot of rhythm and rock"

"Time to come alive with some hit music and jive!"

"Time to bop with the best in rock and pop"

Also, he is determined  to coin the new catchphrase of "Goodbye and . . . Good Love!" whether we like it or not.
Though I suspect  he may be losing confidence in it, as this week he only used the "Good Love!" bit!

Like the occasional real time election coverage (1970, 1974, 1979) on BBC Parliament, I find these a fascinating glimpse into the past - warts and all.

mcbpete

I saw that too ! Stuck in my head for hours (and has now taken a visit back in there again)

GoochDogHigh5s

Yeah What the fuck was that. I was 15 at the time and really into music and I would have thought I'd remember such shite.
There must be a youtube clip somewhere. If we could remember what it was called

Edit Thanks Absorb the anus burn

mcbpete

Oops! Wrong Planet

I know it's ostensibly a joke song about Mr Punch but wow, that middle eight:
QuoteHe's been in trouble with the law for grievous bodily harm / But I believe his temper's just for show

Never actually covered by Aretha Franklin, fact fans.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on June 01, 2012, 05:34:54 PM
They did not know how to pick a hit. Most of the stuff they play never got in the top 20

I think there were a lot of dodgy deals going on. And if the DJs did actually like their 'record of the week,' all I can say is OMG FFS LOL ETC.

Another treat is how deathly bored the audience often look. Genuinely suicidal if it's Lynsey De Paul or someone.

Gulftastic

I love the 1977 totp.

The Jam this week heralded the start of New Wave breaking through. I loved the performance with  two members of the studio audience pogo-ing like good 'uns, whilst the rest just shuffled about.

rudi

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on June 01, 2012, 07:17:17 PM
Just for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMPth4LlO2M&feature=player_embedded

Wow; I've never heard that. I thought there were no 70s hits I hadn't encountered.

Truly awful, she can't dance and even her three cock mouth is edged by disturbing lips. Thanks, I think...

23 Daves

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 01, 2012, 07:15:40 PM

Wow.

I blogged about the record a year or so ago, and it got a few comments but was generally on the receiving end of the disinterest it deserved.  Following the rebroadcast on TOTP recently, however, the stats for my blog took a mighty leap as about a thousand people eventually surfed in from Google to find out more about this wonderful artist.  I wasn't even watching the show at the time, but I automatically sussed that they must have featured her. 

As for the repeats, my parents often plonked me down in front of the television while TOTP was on from 1976 onwards, so what's frightening is the bits I can actually remember, the long-repressed memories which are now coming back to the fore.  But to me at the time, most of these tunes seemed in some way wonderful, whereas watching again now it is indeed staggering how much pure schlock worked its way on to the show.  Difficult times for them though, I think - the big stars and the American hit-makers were often out of the country, nobody was really making videos yet, and so you often ended up with half the show being filled with material not many people really cared about, or people who had "one hit wonder" stamped all over their record contracts.  The early eighties were the Pops glory years for me, the late seventies shows are devoid of atmosphere or excitement in comparison.  (I know a lot of people found those eighties Top of the Pops balloons and the false party atmosphere aggravating, but it did beat the rather clinical presentation the show had in the late seventies). 

daf

Another chance to see the full uncut version tonight  on BBC4 at midnight - 12:40a.m. :

Suzi Quatro – Roxy Roller
Heatwave – Too Hot To Handle (Video)
Linda Lewis – The Moon And I
Bay City Rollers – It's A Game
Carol Bayer Sager – You're Moving Out Today
Joe Tex – Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)
The Trammps – Disco Inferno  (Legs & Co)
Tony Etoria – I Can Prove It (He looked terrified)
** Joy Sarney – Naughty Naughty Naughty ** (!!!)
The Jacksons – Show You The Way To Go (Live in studio)
Van McCoy – The Shuffle (Legs & Co)
The Jam – In The City
Rod Stewart – The First Cut Is The Deepest

Serge

Dead kate moss

No, it was Joe Tex. Disco Tex never stopped bumping with big fat women.

edit - Oh, great ignore this too.

El Unicornio, mang

That Naughty Naughty song actually has a good melody/chord structure, sadly it's wasted by the lyrics and the Punch bits.

Goldentony

I said elsewhere that it was really amusing to see that through most of this show's run so far they've barely been able to get even the most ten bob hairy arsed pub rock wank on the show for a performance, and then all of a sudden they get the Jackson 5 live in the studio out of nowhere

Uncle TechTip

So Joe Tex was not accompanied by the Sex-O-Lettes? I thought exactly the same thing too.

Seeing The Jam has made it worth sitting through over a year's worth of dreadful rubbish like Simon May and Linda Lewis and Demis Roussos and the Bay City Rollers and Mister Big. So much energy in that performance, it was incredible. Worth underlining that Weller was nineteen. Nineteen-year-old pop stars today are never of the self-penned guitarist kind.

The Sex Pistols normally take all the attention of 1977, yet with The Jam and in a few weeks Donna Summer, there are two songs which ultimately shape the way two different kinds of pop music will sound in a couple of decades. Suddenly, TOTP got interesting.

SteveDave

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 02, 2012, 07:37:42 PM
Nineteen-year-old pop stars today are never of the self-penned guitarist kind.

I've just checked & Ed fucking Sheeran is 19. These people.

KLG-7A

thepuffpastryhangman

(Usual disclaimer - I've not seen it yet) But you must be talking about In The City, he was 18 when it (the single) was released and still 5 days short of 19 when the album came out. Maybe he was 19 in that clip? He definitely had something once. Shame he's ended up pushing Gallagher's
dodgy fashion lines in The Sunday Times these days.

I caught Bruce Foxton's plectrum after one gig. I was pretty chuffed. Jumped up and
snatched it at full stretch in a manner Joe Hart can only dream of.

EDIT - Having checked '"it reached #40 in May 1977" Weller's birthday being May 25th (one day after Zimmy), so chances are he was 18. (Assuming it's In The City you're on about. Only by days but 18 sounds even more impressive!)

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 02, 2012, 11:39:41 AM

As for the repeats, my parents often plonked me down in front of the television while TOTP was on from 1976 onwards, so what's frightening is the bits I can actually remember, the long-repressed memories which are now coming back to the fore..
What surprises me, is the amount of stuff that they have been showing that I cannot remember. Believe me I am a geek of enormous proportions when it comes to music and I can remember where I purchased every record I got in the 70's. Of course everyone with an interest in music would watch TOTP it did not matter what music you were into. You never knew who might appear as it was not advertised at the time pre show. I am sure I would have watched the current episode as Deep Purple had the Smoke on The Water EP  in the top 30. So there was a chance it would be on there(it was not).
Yet there is so much shit (even by famous artists at the time) that I do not remember. FFS I even remember Our Kid 'You Just Might See Me Cry' but there have been to Suzi Quatro songs in recent weeks that I cannot recall. I reckon the brain must have some kind of banal filter that kicks in as we get older

And this from someone who [nb]I was young for fucks sake[/nb] bought Disco Duck

23 Daves

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on June 03, 2012, 11:07:29 AM
there have been to Suzi Quatro songs in recent weeks that I cannot recall.

I'm with you on that one - I'm staggered by the amount of stuff of hers I really can't remember, despite her being a prominent female rock star (one of the only female rock stars) during that period.  A lot of it is rather middling fare, though, but I've developed an odd, late-flowering crush on her, so that makes up for the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other factor.  I still couldn't hum the last Quatro number they featured on there if you asked me to, but I can remember what she was wearing. Hmmm....

Meanwhile, talking of "prominent female rock stars", I wouldn't have needed to be told that Joy Sarney featured again last night, as the stats for my blog have once again spiked.  Really, BBC4 should just give up showing all other programmes and just show that one clip on a loop instead.  The British public never seem to tire of it.  It should be the new national anthem. 

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 03, 2012, 01:41:16 PM
I'm with you on that one - I'm staggered by the amount of stuff of hers I really can't remember, despite her being a prominent female rock star (one of the only female rock stars) during that period.  A lot of it is rather middling fare, though, but I've developed an odd, late-flowering crush on her, so that makes up for the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other factor.  I still couldn't hum the last Quatro number they featured on there if you asked me to, but I can remember what she was wearing. Hmmm....

Coincidently. It's Suzi's birthday today

Dead kate moss

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 03, 2012, 01:41:16 PMher being a prominent female rock star

Still regularly referred to as 'Queen Of Rock Suzi Quatro' by the tabloids well into the nineties, probably even now.

Not that I'm knocking her, very fond of her two hits.