Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four

Started by daf, June 01, 2012, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camp Tramp

Quote from: buzby on June 08, 2018, 10:53:56 PM
Jennifer Rush

Strangely enough a guy I know echoed your hate on Twitter, plenty agreed with him.

daf

Quote from: buzby on June 08, 2018, 10:53:56 PM
Rush with her (. . .)  naff 80's costumes and glitter hairspray

Those 80s fashions were brutal - she had only just turned 25 at this point!

TWENTY FIVE!

Gulftastic

Quote from: kalowski on June 07, 2018, 11:04:19 PM
Oh yes. I've been listening to this, and the whole Single Life album, a lot recently. I love Larry Blackmon.

I loved their TOTP 'Single Life' appearance. They were obviously having a ball.

non capisco

The Far Corporation's Led Zeppelin cover confused me a bit. They seemed to have a superfluous frontman who never actually did anything. He kept waving his mic stand at the crowd in a "here we go, I'm about to start singing, 1-2-3-4.." fashion but then either a guitar solo or a load of backing singers came in. Then when it was finally time for some singing....some other little bloke comes out and does it! What was the deal with the first guy? He was laughing all the way to the bank for doing naff all!

daf

Full 9 minute version from German TV -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO066OFUuNQ

It was a Frank 'Boney M' Farian project apparently, and there's three of 'Africa' Hit-makers Toto in there somewhere!
QuoteSome of the musicians Farian assembled included vocalist Robin McAuley, vocalist Henry Gorman, drummer Simon Phillips and three members of Toto: vocalist Bobby Kimball, keyboardist David Paich, and guitarist Steve Lukather.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Corporation

daf

14 November 1985: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(24) JIMMY CARR & THE CARNATIONS – Lost Weekend
Kooks
(10) EURYTHMICS & ARETHA FRANKLIN – Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves (video)
Suffragette City
(11) KING – The Taste Of Your Tears
Oh! You Pretty Things
(12) TALKING HEADS – Road To Nowhere (video)
Young Americans

- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(25) MADNESS – Uncle Sam
(22) DIRE STRAITS – Brothers In Arms
(9) QUEEN – One Vision

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(1) FEARGAL SHARKEY – A Good Heart
The Laughing Gnome
(31) BRYAN ADAMS & TINA TURNER – It's Only Love (audience dancing / credits)
Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/753efde17c94e3ef2783bca42af1071d20180609213022/7b093d

wosl

Quote from: buzby on June 08, 2018, 10:53:56 PMNick Rhodes kicking a Fairlight down the stairs

A decade in chart pop summed up.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: daf on June 09, 2018, 03:13:14 PM
Those 80s fashions were brutal - she had only just turned 25 at this point!

TWENTY FIVE!

Jennifer Rush in 1985 is a jaded suburban mum navigating the inevitable decline of her unremarkable middle aged marriage. Teenaged kids driving her senseless, increasingly pot bellied husband who never even looks at her anymore. A growing penchant for Tia Maria every night. And still two years younger than Madonna.

Quote from: Natnar on June 12, 2018, 10:17:45 AM
Best video ever!!!

Yes, apparently Donald Sutherland did it for free because they couldn't sort out a work visa for him in time.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2018, 02:31:00 PM
It's definitely one of my 20 favourite albums of all time. So there.

This comment is several months old at this point, but I simply must agree with it (w/r/t Cupid & Psyche 85).

Jockice

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 15, 2018, 05:20:54 AM
This comment is several months old at this point, but I simply must agree with it (w/r/t Cupid & Psyche 85).

Thank you!

daf

Love old Lady Di - top bloke!

daf

21 November 1985: Presenters: Paul 'Casual Jumpers' Jordan & Janice Long

(24) MADNESS – Uncle Sam
Coming down the Shaft
(2) WHAM! – I'm Your Man (video)
15 Shades of Grey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157660761615906

(18) DEE C. LEE – See The Day
Gloopy Honk
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23) WHITNEY HOUSTON – Saving All My Love For You
(19) DIONNE WARWICK & FRIENDS – That's What Friends Are For
(14) LIONEL RICHIE – Say You Say Me

(12) DOUG E. FRESH & THE GET FRESH CREW – The Show
Dum-bee-dum-bee-dum - Inspector Gadget - Dum-bee-dum-bee-dum . . . Woo Hoo!
(1) FEARGAL SHARKEY – A Good Heart (video)
Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'
(28) MIDGE URE - That Certain Smile (audience dancing / credits)
Live Nick Cotton Update!!

steveh

Am I alone in having no memory whatsoever of Paul Jordan?

Dr Rock

Quote from: steveh on June 16, 2018, 08:54:01 AM

Had a Radio One afternoon slot in 1985 but was gone by 86. Probably a dark story attached.

Sebastian Cobb

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2018, 11:57:39 PM
Fuckin' love Doug E Fresh.

Indeed. I remember singing it loads back in the day. When I first got on the internet nearly 20 years ago, it was one of the first tracks I downloaded from limewire.

daf

Bit of a rare performance here - the 'Michelle' bit had to be removed from all subsequent copies, as they didn't bother to sort out the rights.

buzby

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 16, 2018, 09:49:26 AM
Quote from: steveh on June 16, 2018, 08:54:01 AM
Had a Radio One afternoon slot in 1985 but was gone by 86. Probably a dark story attached.

He came from Radio City in Liverpool and went back there after his stint on R1. then moved to do the Breakfast show at Red Rose/Rock FM in Preston in the mid-90s. He eventually became the programme controller at City and Rock FM and their Magic oldies offshoots (as well as presenting a 60s show on Magic) until the lare-2000s. He presents a weekend 60s gold show on Smooth Lakeland and Sangrounder FM in Southport now - very Partridge-sque

Quote from: daf on June 17, 2018, 05:44:15 PM
Bit of a rare performance here - the 'Michelle' bit had to be removed from all subsequent copies, as they didn't bother to sort out the rights.
The BBC could presumably get away with it due to it being a live performance and their blanket needle time agreement.  Was that bit still in the repeats on Gold?

Dr Rock

Quote from: buzby on June 17, 2018, 11:12:48 PM
He came from Radio City in Liverpool and went back there after his stint on R1.

I reckon he saw something he shouldn't have.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Natnar on June 12, 2018, 10:17:45 AM
Best video ever!!!

Although she's strangely inept at running down that hill. She keeps falling on her arse. You'd think it'd be a doddle for her.

buzby

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 17, 2018, 11:18:56 PM
I reckon he saw something he shouldn't have.
He first appeared in July 85 as a swing jock, filling in for other presenters holidays, the lowest of the low in DJ terms. He briefly got a sunday afternoon and weekday afternoon slot around September-November handing over to Long, which is presumably why they were paired together for TOTP. His appearances got more sporadic from the beginning of 1986, and he last appeared in late April 86.

Either his ratings were poor, his face didn't fit (maybe Powell wanted him out as he was getting too chummy with Long?), he got fed up and went back home or he opened the wrong door one afternoon and witnessed one of Jim;ll's crimes (he does look a bit of a haunted man in his current photo).

Jockice

It's probably been noted somewhere on here but did 'Me' Mark Page ever present TOTP? Literally I can remember about him is that he had a moustache and described himself as an 'avid meat eater' in Smash Hits. Which was the inspiration for a group of young Welsh listeners later calling themselves the Manic Street Preachers. Possibly. I haven't checked.

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on June 18, 2018, 03:27:25 AM
It's probably been noted somewhere on here but did 'Me' Mark Page ever present TOTP? Literally I can remember about him is that he had a moustache and described himself as an 'avid meat eater' in Smash Hits. Which was the inspiration for a group of young Welsh listeners later calling themselves the Manic Street Preachers. Possibly. I haven't checked.
Not according to the Genome. He last appeared on Radio 1 in September 87, went into BFBS, then set up and appeared on Garrison FM for the Army before it was taken over by BFBS in 2013. He's been the  announcer and DJ at Middlesborough FC since 1994 and is currently campaigning OFCOM for a local radio licence for Teeside (he started at Radio Tees, which was bought by Metro Radio and it was merged into the Newcastle station by Bauer in 2013).

According to Chart Music's Simon Price, the Manics' name was shouted at Bradfield during an altercation  with a passer-by while he was busking in Cardiff. However, an anonymous poster to Band Names Explained says:
Quote from: Anonymous
A band member was walking along Queen St. Cardiff when a member of the public spotted the God Banner man and said 'It's a Manic Street Preacher', well that's how I remember saying it.

phantom_power

The Show is one of the greatest rap records of all time. Whenever anyone mentions a number of minutes I always mentally (and sometimes vocally) add "Doug E Fresh you're on" at the end

I was surprised at how much I liked Don#t Break My Heart by UB40. I had lumped it in with the other shit they were pumping out at the time (Red Red Wine, I Got You Babe) but it is much more like their earlier stuff. A great bassline and interestingly heavy atmosphere

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
I was surprised at how much I liked Don#t Break My Heart by UB40. I had lumped it in with the other shit they were pumping out at the time (Red Red Wine, I Got You Babe) but it is much more like their earlier stuff. A great bassline and interestingly heavy atmosphere

I like that one as well, it's quite haunting. And the airing of the video on the Breakers finally solved my internal 'what was that pop video set in a pub where the song starts skipping and the singer goes over and thumps the jukebox?' nagging question. My dad's mind was blown to smithereens by that one when the episode first aired.

batwings

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 02:44:05 PM

Bit of a Massive Attack vibe to the music, I feel.

non capisco

The verse melody is actually pretty similar to 'Protection'.