Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four

Started by daf, June 01, 2012, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: Dead kate moss on June 03, 2012, 05:33:30 PM
Still regularly referred to as 'Queen Of Rock Suzi Quatro' by the tabloids well into the nineties, probably even now.

Not that I'm knocking her, very fond of her two hits.

Going along with all this is the least you could do.  It is her birthday after all.  And without her, there would have been no Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. 

phantom_power

I have missed most of the 1977 ones due to a shit TV but the 1976 ones were very enjoyable. Strange to see Paul Nicholas pop up every now and again looking like a massive speed freak

non capisco

That Mr. Punch thing is haunting my every waking moment. The chorus is on an infinite loop in the background of my thoughts. I wonder if Joy Sarney still hears it in her head to this day.

...Uh-uh, oh no you don't, NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY....

thepuffpastryhangman

Not sure if this the right thread, but tonight's Disco editon featured a brilliant turn from The Jacksons. A live Blame It On The Boogie. (Until then only Macfaden and Whitehead had been convincing.)
Micky J especially, is wow TV. But everyone on stage is on it.  Best thing on the series so far.

kaprisky

That's Sounds of the 70s 2. BBC shifted it from Monday, presumably because of the Jubilee.

v00n

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on June 03, 2012, 11:07:29 AM
but there have been to Suzi Quatro songs in recent weeks that I cannot recall. I reckon the brain must have some kind of banal filter that kicks in as we get older

'Tear Me Apart' perchance?

That and 'Rip Her To Shreds' by Blondie can't have helped the Yorkshire Ripper's mindset at the time.

daf

Another 'new wave' band (as Kid Jensen might describe them)
making their first appearace on tonights show :

(spoilered if you want to keep it a surprise)

26-5-77: Presenter: Dave Lee Travis

Spoiler alert
(19) BLUE – I'm Gonna Capture Your Heart
(NEW) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Sam
(8) PIERO UMILIANI – Mah Na Mah Na (danced to by Legs & Co) ®
(NEW) FRANKIE MILLER'S FULL HOUSE – Be Good To Yourself
(4) KENNY ROGERS – Lucille (video)
(NEW) LIVERPOOL EXPRESS – Dreamin'
(20) BRYAN FERRY – Tokyo Joe (danced to by Legs & Co)
(36) THE STRANGLERS – Go Buddy Go
(NEW) MARIE MIRIAM – The Bird And The Child
(28) ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA – Telephone Line (video)
(NEW) BRENDON – Rock Me
(1) ROD STEWART – The First Cut Is The Deepest ®
(15) LIVERPOOL FC – We Can Do It (and credits)
[close]

I presume this is the right one -
Radio Times seems to be describing last weeks show with the Jam.

daf

Well I enjoyed that.
Spoiler alert
'The Stranglers 'Go Buddy Go'
[close]
being the highlight for me by a mile.

Still a lot of 'Creme Brulee' type bands on (which I enjoy too - as they're usually airbrushed out of the TOTP2 shows, so are completely unfamiliar to me.)

Three songs cut from the early version - including Legs and Co's magnificent 'interpretation' of 
Spoiler alert
'Mah Na Mah Na'
[close]

Full show at 12:55 - 1:30 a.m. tonight.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: daf on June 14, 2012, 09:02:10 PM
Well I enjoyed that.
Spoiler alert
'The Stranglers 'Go Buddy Go'
[close]
being the highlight for me by a mile.

I had never noticed before, but it seems that they were not allowed to sing the line' Got myself peed' JJ substituted it with 'Got myself some speed' which tickled me.
Obviously the powers that be did not realise that this could be more controversial than the original line.
Also nice touch with the lack of strings on the guitar (which of course JJ had swapped with Hugh)

I am sure there is another time that JJ had actual string on his bass.

daf

It is 'speed' originally, isn't it?

Maybe they convinced them it refered to riding Motorbikes (like 'got me some wheels') rather than drugs?

JJ used to ride bikes, I think. So it might have had a subtle double meaning in reality. 
(although the song seems to be set in a party, so it probably IS about the drug after all!)

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: daf on June 17, 2012, 03:25:03 PM
It is 'speed' originally, isn't it?

Maybe they convinced them it refered to riding Motorbikes (like 'got me some wheels') rather than drugs?

JJ used to ride bikes, I think. So it might have had a subtle double meaning in reality. 
(although the song seems to be set in a party, so it probably IS about the drug after all!)
Shit! You are right. I always thought it was peed as in pissed (which would have made sense). In my defence (albeit a pretty weak one that would not stand up in court). He mumbles it on the studio version and sung it clearer on TOTP

Maybe I should start a new thread Songs you have been singing wrong for the last 35 years

Dead kate moss

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on June 17, 2012, 04:33:43 PM
Maybe I should start a new thread Songs you have been singing wrong for the last 35 years

I know we've had such threads, but just thought I'd mention that it just turned out that Mrs DKM, not knowing what a rhododendron was, always thought Bryan Ferry was singing 'Rodent, dem drums' in Do The Strand.

daf

I have always heard this line :

'Cos when their eloquence escapes me"
in the Police song  "De doo doo doo, de da da dah" as :
"when that Ala-kunsus scares me"

Whatever an 'Ala-kunsus' is (I imagine a cross between a Rhinosceros and the Yeti from Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who).

Franky I prefer my line, and I'm sticking with it - facts be damned!

Quote from: daf on June 14, 2012, 10:04:13 AM
Another 'new wave' band (as Kid Jensen might describe them)

I can remember the term "New Wave" being widely used, not just a Kid Jerkin invention. My memory is that it was a term used to encompass stuff which was clearly not full blown Punk but nevertheless was new, energetic, and part of the scene. Stuff like The Fall, Talking Heads, Squeeze, The Undertones, The Slits, Gang of Four, Joy Division, Magazine, Elvis Costello, XTC - these were all referred to as New Wave by the NME and Melody Maker.

It's interesting because the term was pooh-poohed on Punk Britannia by Lydon, who used The Police as an example of why New Wave was shit. The Police came in at the tail end of New Wave and I would class them as what at the time was known as "power pop".

By the way, re. Punk Britannia, did anyone see how well Viv Albertine has worn? Wow she's looking good. The exact opposite of Mark E Smith and Vini Reilly!

daf

Quote from: dead_johnny_walker on June 17, 2012, 09:54:33 PM
I can remember the term "New Wave" being widely used, not just a Kid Jerkin invention.

It's interesting because the term was pooh-poohed on Punk Britannia by Lydon, who used The Police as an example
of why New Wave was shit. The Police came in at the tail end of New Wave and I would class them as what at the
time was known as "power pop".

Oh, I know - It was just a reference to when Kid 'Dave' Jensen introduced The Jam as in the forefront
of a movement called 'New wave' when they were on . I think the clip was also in the 'Punk Britannia'
documentary - ridiculing his use of 'new wave' - implying he should have said 'Punk' .

Of course, Ideally he'd have called them 'Mod' - though I dont think there was much of a 'movement'
till 1979 with the film of Quadrophenia coming out. So I'd say 'Kid' was right in the sense of choosing the
movement - The Jam were closer to New Wave than Punk at least.

It's funny how even the 'New Wave' band don't like the term (Costello and XTC at least) and try and distance themselves
from it, but it's just a handy term for the 60's based melodic guitar pop of the time - in the same way as 'Indie'
was in the 80's and 'Britpop' became in the 90's. 

It doesn't matter what you call something - the 'thing' itself imposes itself on to the word - like when they tried to
'de-toxify' the Nuclear power station 'Windscale' by re-naming it 'Sellafield' - All that did was to poison the word 'Sellafield'!

Anyway, 'uncool' as they may be now, I'd rather listen to the Police than the 'cool' Public Image Limited any day.

There, I've said it!

Dead kate moss

I enjoyed the difference between Kid Jenson saying 'here's a great new sound called New Wave from The Jam!' to the later stoney-faced ' 'Here's Public Image Ltd with Death Disco.'

Dead kate moss

Though the latter was on Punk Britannia now that I remember.

daf

It was Mike Read from 1979 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWZepWteDM

As far as disco goes, it's no Earth Wind and Fire!

daf

This was the pre Silver Jubilee edition (7 June 1977) with the The Sex Pistols shown at number 11 in the chart rundown
(I was wondering if they'd leave them out completely)

2-6-77: Presenter: Noel Edmonds

(NEW) ELKIE BROOKS – Saved
(8) THE MUPPETS – Halfway Down The Stairs (video)
(NEW) THE FOUR SEASONS – Rhapsody
(5) VAN McCOY – The Shuffle (danced to by Legs & Co) ®
(15) HEATWAVE – Too Hot To Handle (video)
(NEW) TWIGGY – A Woman In Love
(13) BOZ SCAGGS – Lido Shuffle (video)
(NEW) JESSE GREEN – Come With Me
(7) MARVIN GAYE – Got To Give It Up (danced to by Legs & Co)
(NEW) HOT CHOCOLATE – So You Win Again
(17) CAROLE BAYER SAGER – You're Moving Out Today ®
(NEW) THE STRAWBS – Back In The Old Routine
(1) ROD STEWART – The First Cut Is The Deepest ®
(14) GENESIS – Match Of The Day (and credits)

The early showing cut out The Shuffle, Heatwave , Hot Chocolate, and the Boz Scaggs video -
which I thought was the best thing in it ( . . . well, besides Lulu doing the Shuffle, of course!)

Full version on 12:50a.m - 1:30a.m. Saturday.

daf

Time to dig out that Union Jack waistcoat and blow up a balloon -
it's the Silver Jubilee edition!

Don't miss (early edit permitting) the first of Bob Marley's
two live studio appearances (the next one is in 1978)

And will The Sex Pistols make number 1 ? . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9-6-77: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(NEW) OSIBISA – The Warrior
(13) ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA – Telephone Line (video)
(NEW) BERNI FLINT – Southern Comfort
(27) FRANKIE MILLER'S FULL HOUSE – Be Good To Yourself ®
(NEW) THE WURZELS – Farmer Bill's Cowman
(21) GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Baby Don't Change Your Mind (video)
(NEW) NEIL INNES – Silver Jubilee
(23) THE STRANGLERS – Go Buddy Go ®
(30) HONKY – Join The Party ®
(6) THE JACKSONS – Show You The Way To Go (danced to by Legs & Co)
(NEW) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Exodus
(1)
Spoiler alert
ROD STEWART – The First Cut Is The Deepest ®
[close]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

23 Daves

That was actually the first enjoyable Pops I think I've seen in months - rather than just consisting of a string of light entertainment dullards interspersed with the odd interesting performance, most of it had something to offer.  Well, OK, Neil Innes' "Silver Jubilee" song will always be cringeworthy, as Royalist sentiments combined with a sub-Paul Nicholas bouncy pop ditty will never make for grand records. Fortunately I was aware of that single before I watched the show otherwise I might have turned off out of embarrassment.  And Rod Stewart was creepily crap again... but beyond that, a wide variety of styles and ideas which the best episodes always were. 

daf

Also having ELP's "Fanfare for the common man'  played as the end credits music - on the
edition the Sex Pistols claimed to have got to number one, seems like a genius bit of
'up yours' from Auntie Beeb to the punks - sort of :
"You think you've won the war? Yeah, well, Prog's not dead - So take that, Suckers!!"

. . . or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

23 Daves

Quote from: daf on June 29, 2012, 03:52:59 PM
Also having ELP's "Fanfare for the common man'  played as the end credits music - on the
edition the Sex Pistols claimed to have got to number one, seems like a genius bit of
'up yours' from Auntie Beeb to the punks - sort of :
"You think you've won the war? Yeah, well, Prog's not dead - So take that, Suckers!!"

. . . or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

A few people on Twitter also read something into the fact that they let a punk band (The Stranglers) follow Innes' pro-monarchy piffle. 

daf

Tonight's edition :

16-6-77: Presenter: David Jensen

(48) JOHN MILES – Slow Down
(23) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Sam ®
(20) HOT CHOCOLATE – So You Win Again
(NEW) ANDY GIBB – I Just Wanna Be Your Everything
(17) EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – Fanfare For The Common Man (video)
(NEW) GENE COTTON – Me And The Elephant
(21) QUEEN – Good Old Fashioned Loverboy
(44) ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS – Everybody Have A Good Time
(22) BO KIRKLAND & RUTH DAVIS – You're Gonna Get Next To Me (danced to by Legs & Co)
(NEW) THE FOSTER BROTHERS – Count Me Out
(7) THE MUPPETS – Halfway Down The Stairs (video)
(NEW) TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS – Anything That's Rock 'N' Roll
(1) KENNY ROGERS – Lucille (video)
(3) THE JACKSONS – Show You The Way To Go (and credits)

daf

This weeks show - on a day early for some reason :

23-6-77: Presenter: Jimmy Savile O.B.E.

(NEW) DAVE EDMUNDS – I Knew The Bride
(29) TONY ETORIA – I Can Prove It
(NEW) GARY GLITTER – A Little Boogie Woogie In The Back Of My Mind
(6) CAROLE BAYER SAGER – You're Moving Out Today ®
(NEW) BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Angelo
(16) THE STRANGLERS – Go Buddy Go ®
(NEW) JOHNNY NASH – That Woman
(22) ALESSI – Oh Lori (danced to by Legs & Co)
(NEW) PAUL NICHOLAS – Heaven On The 7th Floor
(1) THE JACKSONS – Show You The Way To Go (video)
(25) T-CONNECTION – Do What You Wanna Do (and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looking forward to Dave Edmunds, and I think Nick Lowe might be playing bass on this.
(Happy Birthday Nick Lowe!)

Uncle TechTip

The Wednesday move is for the duration of the Proms. And maybe beyond, which would stop it being dropped every month for the Sky At Night. It's nice they show it on a Thursday but not essential.

daf

Time to play the Noel Edmonds 'The Story of' Game :

Will Noel Tidybeard use one of the following introductions  . . .

'The story of the Good old Fashioned Loverboy' : 5/1
'The story of the Fanfare for the Common Man' : 100/1
'The story of the Two Worlds Drifting apart" : 3000/1

Place Your Bets Now!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
30-6-77: Presenter: Noel Edmonds

(29) JESSE GREEN – Come With Me
(21) T-CONNECTION – Do What You Wanna Do (video)
(24) JOHN MILES – Slow Down
(5) GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Baby Don't Change Your Mind (video)
(17) QUEEN – Good Old Fashioned Loverboy ®
(NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – When Two Worlds Drift Apart
(22) THE DETROIT EMERALDS – Feel The Need In Me (danced to by Legs & Co)
(3) EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – Fanfare For The Common Man (video)
(1) HOT CHOCOLATE – So You Win Again

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Should be no cuts to the early showing as we're in a run of 30 minute shows at the moment.

Gulftastic

I would join in the betting, but I don't like to be spoiled before I've seen the show. The surprising lines up are one of my joys of watching.

BTW, you forgot Boney M with 'Ma Baker' over  the credits.

daf

Oof - so close with
Spoiler alert
Cliff
[close]
's 'What happens when . . .'
I'm not paying out on that : it's 'The story of . . .' or nothing!

Sorry about spoiling the surprise Gulftastic - I'll spoiler them in future.

Nice to see someone else enjoying these shows - it is the highlight of my week!

23 Daves

I tend to prefer not to see the playlists before the show either, but I was running late home from work tonight and saw the above roll call of mediocrity and thought "Oh well, perhaps it doesn't matter that I'll miss it after all".  So thank you on this occasion.