Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phones phones phones

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 03, 2012, 06:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcbpete

Quote from: Replies From View on June 11, 2012, 06:58:49 PM
All these stupid names for different operating systems.

I liked it when it was 3, 3.1, 3.11 for Workgroups, 95, 98, 2000.  And I don't know when the Windows numbers kicked back in, but 7, 8... yep, get it.

I have an oldish Macbook Pro and the operating system is called Leopard.  Then came Snow Leopard and now they're on Lion, or something.  Just... why?  What's the hierarchy and why can't they make the progression clearer?

So now with Android phones it's IceColdSandwich, which I presume is a progression from IceCreamSandwich which I heard some bores talking about on youtube a while back.  It's all silly and very rubbish.
They're just code names for the Android OS releases (Ice Cream Sandwich being Android OS 4.0). I mean Microsoft has done the same for ages with Chicago (Windows 95), Memphis (Windows 98), Whistler (Windows XP), Longhorn (Windows Vista), and Blackcomb/Vienna (Windows 7).  IceColdSandwich is an unofficial custom rom made using the Android 4.x code base.

KLG-7A

Why do all the ROMs think they're improving matters by using a custom theme with the aesthetics of a lame-o 13 year old hacker's site?

mcbpete

Possibly because many of them have been cobbled together by 'lame-o 13 year old hackers'. There are some nice ones out there though like the Miui one -

Mildly Diverting

*Moved to more relevant thread*

Famous Mortimer

I might switch to Miui. It will hopefully satisfy my desire for change. Maybe a new case.

VegaLA

Quote from: Replies From View on June 07, 2012, 09:57:35 AM
I've often wondered briefly whether companies code lifespans into computer devices.  It would be pretty easy to do, I'd imagine, but also it seems a bit nuts to suggest it.

And here we are. Contract has expired just the other week and I got a 'Phone Temperature is hot, please turn off phone to cool down' message for the first time ever. Well I never.

If this is Verizons doing then they have done themselves no favours, their new Plans which are compulsory to switch to if you upgrade your phone leave a lot to be desired, and the fact that T-Mobile and Sprint get the S3 before them isn't swaying me to stick around. Word on the web is that many current customers are pissed at their new plans.

Will be talking to other carriers later today. Shame too as their service/coverage is better than the other 3 options.

Famous Mortimer

I went briefly to Miui, couldn't figure out how to delete the annoying system usage apps from the front screen, so ditched it and went for Cyanogenmod. I like it, but it doesn't seem like there's tons of different stuff to do with it.

VegaLA

I went and got myself a Sammy Galaxy S3. Unfortunatly the US is weeks behind Asia and Europe so I dont expect to get the beast until the second week of next month at the earliest! I pre-ordered mainly due to the shitty plans that Verizon are forcing on new subscribers (hahahahha...not bloody likely) or existing customers whose accounts expire after 28Th of this month. They are dropping the Unlimited data feature so I acted fast to hang onto that. Where i'll be another 2 years from now god knows but I hope they backtrack by then. I should really hang onto the S3 for longer than two years though, but thats what I said about the Droid X.

The Masked Unit

I like the look of them new windows 8 phones. Am I mental?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: The Masked Unit on June 23, 2012, 12:07:53 AM

I'm with you. It looks very slick, wouldn't be surprised if it takes off.

Cagey Joe

The screen broke on my HTC Desire a month after I'd cancelled my insurance. I took a low catch playing cricket and heard the screen crunch against my keys. Wicked! I thought I was covered with my bank account but I never registered the phone for insurance, in fact. Respec'! T-Mobile have been pretty good about it, though, and said I can have an early upgrade without buying out the contract or accruing additional charges. Incomprehensible!

I went for the HTC One S. Has anyone used one? Heard anything? I used my mate's One X, liked it, but it's just too big. I'm hoping the One S is a similar deal but more manageable size.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Masked Unit on June 23, 2012, 12:07:53 AM
I quite liked the old interface they had, so I may go that way in future. What's the decent-est handset with Windows on it?

I think after 2 years of using this phone, it's boiled down to the things I use it for every day. Listening to podcasts, taking photos, twitter and Facebook...if I'm not going to exploit the ridiculous power of the phone I have, I might as well get something else.

EDIT: the HTC Titan looks cheap (the Titan 2 doesn't, and is a US exclusive anyway) and the Nokia Lumia 900 looks awesome. I don't know...I guess now the idea is implanted in my head, get ready for a thread bump in a few weeks where I complain about Windows Mobile.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
I quite liked the old interface they had, so I may go that way in future. What's the decent-est handset with Windows on it?

A word of warning. Wait for the new handsets to come out around October, because the handsets out at the moment are not getting updated to Windows Phone 8.

Famous Mortimer

I was considering getting an HTC Titan now, selling my Desire HD, and messing about with Windows 7 for a bit. If I like it, I can always splurge on a high-end handset towards the end of the year. Or maybe I'll completely change my mind in a day or two.

Artemis

I wouldn't suggest it's a good time to buy a phone just yet. By the end of the third quarter we should have a couple of new models to choose from, not least the new iPhone.

Subtle Mocking

Yeah, around Autumn is probably the best time. Even if you like the S3 or the One X, they'll be much more affordable by then.

Hobes

I've been keeping an eye on the Carphone Warehouse's deal of the week. This week its the HTC Wildfire S 24month contract with 250mins, 5000 texts and 500mb of data for £7.50 per month.

I'd prefer a better model, but for the price it seems a good deal.

Subtle Mocking

24 months though. And it's a model that won't get updated again.

falafel

My boyfriend's had one for a year now and it frustrates quite a bit. If you got one now it might infuriate you by next summer...

Subtle Mocking

Plus, HTCs aren't the most reliable of phones. Great phones, unquestionably, but they don't age too well.

Replies From View

Quote from: Artemis on June 23, 2012, 03:43:52 PM
not least the new iPhone.

We can start guessing now what problems will be bundled with the iPhone 5 to make the 5S worth waiting for.

As a little aside, I believe Steve Jobs had some involvement in what will be the next iPhone.  It's presumably the one after that - the iPhone 6 rather than the 5S - that'll be considered the first post-Jobs model.

I'm thinking as well that the iPhone 5 will be called "The New iPhone" to go with them naming the iPad 3 "The New iPad".  That's the kind of bollocks.

Cagey Joe

That HTC One S is a fucking ripper. I've put MIUI on it (which I had on the Desire) and it's an absolute treat. Rapid, intuitive, I love it.

SetToStun

I'm still very happy to recommend the Galaxy Nexus - lack of hardware keyboard aside I genuinely do think it's the best mobile I've owned to date. Part of this may be down to the OS, admittedly, but I've also never had a 'phone before that works so quickly - and that includes data access on HSPA[nb]Or whatever it's called this week.[/nb]. The GPS is ace, especially combined with the built-in Google Navigate (which has a lovely, up-to-date list of pubs for when you get stuck somewhere), but then I'm easily impressed, I suppose. Anyway, in short, if you're in the market for a smart 'phone, find someone with a Nexus and have a look. Here endeth the advert.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on June 23, 2012, 03:51:27 PM
Yeah, around Autumn is probably the best time. Even if you like the S3 or the One X, they'll be much more affordable by then.
My contract's up then (August / September - ish) so I'll see what's on offer. If it's something excellent, I'll stay with them, if not, it's off to GiffGaff I go.

I bought the HTC Titan (I'd already bid for one before a few people recommended against it) and it's just lovely-looking. I think Windows Mobile is really nice to look at, and for the things it turns out I spend most of my time doing on a mobile, it's right on the money. Not for everyone, presumably, but I'm happy with it.

Steven

Samsung put out decent hardware, but their grasp of software and customer care is piss-poor. Thank fuck for at-home developers. I managed to get Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy S almost straight after Google released it, despite Samsung taking 6+ months to get the job done themselves.

They really need to step it up, since Apple has put a legal embargo on their sales of the S3 in the states due to copyrighting frivolous shit like 'slide to unlock'. They say you will have to wait until October for Android 4.1 Jellybean - this means it will be December/January/Never for you to get the latest software for this 'new' device.

I'm glad I've kept hold of my original Galaxy S, the new versions are just snappier versions and not worth signing up a new contract for, certainly no game changer. And Developers on XDA are already started on getting Jellybean ported to the Galaxy S, a device Samsung basically gave up support for straight after release, such is their lack of giving a shit. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747042

Rag-tag bunches of home developers get all these problems sorted in no-time, which makes it even stupider that Samsung don't see it as a priority to keep their devices up to date software-wise.

And by the looks of it, Google's voice search facilities have surpassed Siri's at the moment, which was the only real reason to get the new Iphone, so there's a massive potential for customers migrating from Apple sl these Android companies really need to pull a finger out if they want to keep their customers. The fact is you have to invalidate your phones warranty by installing third party developed software just to keep up-to-date really is a stupid situation.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 29, 2012, 10:51:40 AM
I bought the HTC Titan (I'd already bid for one before a few people recommended against it) and it's just lovely-looking. I think Windows Mobile is really nice to look at, and for the things it turns out I spend most of my time doing on a mobile, it's right on the money. Not for everyone, presumably, but I'm happy with it.
After a week with it, I'm really liking Windows Mobile. So far, there's decent apps for the same stuff I was doing on the Android phone; and aside from the podcast thing not being great, I'm enjoying it. It's fun to use.

Quote from: SetToStun on June 27, 2012, 03:57:39 PM
I'm still very happy to recommend the Galaxy Nexus - lack of hardware keyboard aside I genuinely do think it's the best mobile I've owned to date. Part of this may be down to the OS, admittedly, but I've also never had a 'phone before that works so quickly - and that includes data access on HSPA[nb]Or whatever it's called this week.[/nb]. The GPS is ace, especially combined with the built-in Google Navigate (which has a lovely, up-to-date list of pubs for when you get stuck somewhere), but then I'm easily impressed, I suppose. Anyway, in short, if you're in the market for a smart 'phone, find someone with a Nexus and have a look. Here endeth the advert.

I'm getting twitchy. For some reason I need a new phone in my life.
I've seen the Galaxy Nexus for sale on YesAsia delivered for £266. Has anyone used YesAsia lately, would you trust them considering this product apparently has a no returns policy?
I ordered a DS 5 years ago and if I remember correctly they  were incredibly quick, ordered on the Sunday and it arrived on the Thursday.
This phone was c£600 in December so £266 is a steal right, working out (with my £10 per month GiffGaff sim only) at £32 per month on a 12 month contact?
Please, someone try and talk me out of it?

SetToStun

Do not get a Nexus if there is a "no returns" policy; there was - and may still be - an issue with the power supply in the handset, meaning a percentage of 'phones will just not charge, even if you change the battery. The first Nexus I had exhibited that fault and had to be changed. Actually, is a "no returns" policy even legal?

Utter Shit

I've not had the problem mentioned above, although due to my own clumsiness in dropping the phone while it was charging, to charge the phone I now have to put pressure on the bottom of the charger by wrapping the wire around or standing it on its base. I can't speak highly enough of the phone itself though - fantastic screen, practically loss-proof because it's so big, great OS...love it.

Ah, I think you can return defective items. This what it says underneath the product description,

"This product cannot be cancelled or returned after the order has been placed. For more details, please refer to our return policy."

Then here is the returns policy,

"DEFECTIVE ITEMS

If you receive a damaged or defective item, please email us the order number & the product condition within 14 days of delivery to obtain an authorization for returns. Unauthorized returns may be refused or disregarded.

Please note that unauthorized returns may be refused or disregarded.

If we authorize a return, we will provide you with an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number and instructions for sending the damaged or defective items to us.

These damaged/defective items must be returned to us securely packaged and wrapped.

After we received the product, we will examine and test the defective item(s).

If we find the defect described in your message, we will ship you a replacement for the defective item(s) via regular Air Mail ONLY. Otherwise, the original item will be shipped back to you.

Compensation for the shipping costs will be provided by the issue of either a coupon or a YesAsia credit to your account and will ONLY be offered if the package is returned by Regular Air Mail."
                                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
It's £60 cheaper than anywhere in the UK.
What to do, what to do?

Hows the phone anyway after 6 weeks, would you still recommend it? How bad is the camera?