Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phones phones phones

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 03, 2012, 06:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetToStun

Quote from: kenneth trousers on August 09, 2012, 11:23:45 AMIt's £60 cheaper than anywhere in the UK.
What to do, what to do?

Hows the phone anyway after 6 weeks, would you still recommend it? How bad is the camera?

I've had mine for eight months now and it's just great. The display is fantastic, everything works properly and the camera's pretty good too. It upgraded itself to Jellybean a few weeks ago and that's gone completely smoothly, too. I'd still heartily recommend one to anyone. That's a good price, too - it was tons more than that when it first came out (I think I saw something like £750 to buy SIM-free somewhere or other).

Utter Shit

I think it was you that recommended it to me, SetToStun - if so, thanks very much :)

Utter Shit

It's impossible to do a smiley nowadays and not feel like you're being sarcastic.

Right, just ordered it. 7 to 10 days of shitting my pants now.
Thanks StS and US by the way.

SetToStun

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 09, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
I think it was you that recommended it to me, SetToStun - if so, thanks very much :)

I believe you're right - and you're very welcome :-)

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 09, 2012, 11:40:36 AM
It's impossible to do a smiley nowadays and not feel like you're being sarcastic.

Nah - you're OK.

Quote from: kenneth trousers on August 09, 2012, 12:36:55 PM
Right, just ordered it. 7 to 10 days of shitting my pants now.
Thanks StS and US by the way.

I sincerely believe you won't regret it - best of luck.

Just to keep all my fans up to date. I cancelled my order with YesAsia, apparently they don't cover the customs charges (VAT) on courier delivered items. Also I've done some reading and Samsung UK won't honour the warranty of any phone bought outside the EU.
I've now ordered a EU spec one from a seller on Ebay for £295.

Steven

My T-Mobile contract is up very soon so I was thinking of switching to Giff-Gaff, but I've heard apparently it's a nightmare trying to end the contract with T-Mobile as they won't take no for an answer regarding renewing the contract.

I suppose I'll just have to try and get my PAC number and switch over and cancel any standing orders and keep my fingers crossed.

It was a £25 a month 24 month contract with a Samsung Galaxy S, the phone I'm still pretty happy with as I've manually been updating the software and the newer smartphones don't seem to do much more than be a bit faster. Coupled with that the deals T-Mobile have offered are cack, Samsung Galaxy S III Marble White 16G £29 + £33 a month for 24 months, Iphone 4S 16GB Black £49 phone cost + £36 a month for24 months etc. I could probably get a better deal if I spoke to one of the operators but frankly I'm happy with the phone I have and don't fancy another two year contract for a bit of extra CPU-power. Would rather wait for a game-changer.

Anybody know how easy it is to switch to something like Giff-Gaff? Are T-Mobile a nightmare to get off? Who killed Cock-Robin?

small_world

My T-mobile contract is also up (in 5 days actually) and I now have a work phone.
However, I'd still like to keep my number.
Is there any way I can leave T-mobile and transfer my existing number on to a pay as you go sim, or is there some other way to keep it safe?

Steven

Quote from: small_world on August 12, 2012, 05:22:38 PM
My T-mobile contract is also up (in 5 days actually) and I now have a work phone.
However, I'd still like to keep my number.
Is there any way I can leave T-mobile and transfer my existing number on to a pay as you go sim, or is there some other way to keep it safe?

To keep the same number you need to ask them for your PAC code, and give this to your new operator. But I think T-Moble might charge for this, and I think you need to have to get it working on the other operator within 30 days of getting it.

MojoJojo

I also have finished my t-mobile contract.

I would be very, very surprised if they charge for the PAC code - it would probably be illegal. Or they would all do it. They probably make it annoying though.

Replies From View

If you've been with them a while they'll probably try not to give you your PAC code, and attempt to divert you several times towards various deals on phones or contracts that they can muster.  These corporations work on the assumption that a customer gained is a customer for life because we're too lazy to move on.

I've never heard of a company charging for a PAC code, though.

MojoJojo

The whole giving out PAC codes to allow people to transfer your number is a legally mandated requirement - the networks wouldn't do it otherwise. All the networks will give you a bit of a runaround, some worse than others, but I think charging for the PAC would be illegal or they would all be doing it.

Steven

Just from googling around I've seen various people reporting being charged for their PAC code, also being charged for the time between their contract ending and their new service installing their PAC code. I don't know the legalities but if you just google T-mobile and PAC code you'll see it being mentioned, as well as a few other providers.

Came across this though, might be useful: http://www.paccodes.co.uk/networks/tm

MojoJojo

Quote from: Steven on August 12, 2012, 08:35:43 PM
Just from googling around I've seen various people reporting being charged for their PAC code, also being charged for the time between their contract ending and their new service installing their PAC code. I don't know the legalities but if you just google T-mobile and PAC code you'll see it being mentioned, as well as a few other providers.
Looking through the first page of UK google results, the only thing that comes close is someone who was still in contract. You'll have to pay in that case.
Came across this though, might be useful: http://www.paccodes.co.uk/networks/tm

No, that's a bollocks site. You chose the network you're on and who you want to move to, and then they put those into a page - "Call <current network> customer support to get your PAC code. Then give it to <new provider> when you sign up."

It does confirm that network operators have to give the PAC code in 2 days or give a reason why not.

small_world

Thanks for that.
But....
I will be using the work phone for the forseeable, probably a couple of years.
But I really like my number. So would like to keep it as a back up if I get my own phone at any point.
So can I put it on to something that's free to keep???

MojoJojo

Yeah, just switch to a Pay As You Go. GiffGaff are cheap.

Although if that's all you want, you should be able to get t-mobile to switch you to a PAYG contract. Although they'll probably throw offers and deals at you to try and stop you.

Milo

Just double-check that the PAYG people don't do anything daft like delete accounts that don't get used for long periods first.

Steven

I see. So the reports of people getting charged for the PAC basically are trying to break their contract, hence having to pay for it.

Switching to Giff Gaff, this may help: http://support2.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/599/~/how-do-i-keep-my-mobile-number%3F

The Masked Unit

Speaking of GiffGaff, I took the decision to get out of the contract cycle at least until a phone comes out that does something new and essential, rather than upgrading just because the latest models are faster than my S1.

The problem is, I'm sat here trying to unlock my handset using Galaxy_S Unlock and busybox and they're simply not working, and the instructions are next to useless, being in terribly broken English.

Does anyone have any tips? I need to get it sorted tonight as my contract ends/phone goes dead at midnight. Thanks.

Steven

Isn't there an Unlockopedia on the giff gaff website for things like Android?

I didn't seem to need to unlock anything, as I've installed hundreds of different roms on my S1 from the XDA i9000 forum. I just had to put the giff gaff sim in and activate it. Maybe you should try just rooting the phone and installing one of the newer Jellybean roms, worked for me.

The Masked Unit