Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shatner - covering Pulp song. (thats nice dear)

Started by My Giddy Aunt, June 25, 2004, 02:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Giddy Aunt

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1000012.html?menu=news.quirkies

William Shatner is reportedly recording a cover version of a Pulp song.
The Sun says the Star Trek actor is recording a cover of Common People.

Which leads me to wonder what other inappropriate song related bassoonery there might be on the cards?

Tim Henman covering 'Wave of Mutilation' by the Pixies, for example.

(actually thats crap but you get the idea. note to self: be better).

Alberon

I'm sure it'll be quite fun listening to it, but it's not the same when you know he's not being serious this time.

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: "Alberon"I'm sure it'll be quite fun listening to it, but it's not the same when you know he's not being serious this time.
I dont understand why he thinks people will care. But then perhaps he's just a fucking twat.

elderford

Regular John

The rap he does at the end of "Free Enterprise" is a fantastic parody of Julius Caesar so I expect the same from this!

Goldentony

he's also doing you could be mine by guns n roses apparently?

TotalNightmare

i would like to see 'the shat' perform MONEY...

"The... best things... in life are free... but... you can.. save it for... thebirdsandbees..."

WoShade

I'm prepared to endorse this abomination if the Family Guy team do the video.

TotalNightmare

As 'cute' as this idea is, the fact that one of my favourite musicians, Ben Folds, is producing this, makes me a little angry.

In a recent press interview, Mr Folds said he was delaying the release of his next solo album to concentrate on this Shatner album.

Maybe i am just impatient, but i have been waiting a long time to hear something new my Ben Folds. In the meantime, he has been releasing EPs that i don't want to buy as he is only going to re-release them all in one album... the one that he has now put back til next year.

I just hope, musically, Folds hasn't jumped the shark as from what i hear from the EPs there is some good old 'back to basics' music coming our way.

And Shatner OBVIOUSLY killed his wife... Discuss?

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"As 'cute' as this idea is, the fact that one of my favourite musicians, Ben Folds, is producing this, makes me a little angry.

Indeed, and Adrian Belew is playing guitar on this album... I'm just thinking why? Why take time out of the good stuff you're doing to do this piece of crap?

Probably pays well.

Goldentony

this is almost as good an idea as that joe pesci sings cabaret album

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Goldentony"this is almost as good an idea as that joe pesci sings cabaret album

i'd buy that for a dollar...

no, really, i fucking would.

Paaaaul

Ben Folds released an album called "Fear Of Pop" about 4 or 5 years ago, which I believe has a Shatner vocal on one of the tracks, so this is not a *new* fixation for Mr Folds.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Paaaaul"Ben Folds released an album called "Fear Of Pop" about 4 or 5 years ago, which I believe has a Shatner vocal on one of the tracks, so this is not a *new* fixation for Mr Folds.

Sadly, i am all too aware of this earlier collaboration. I have the album and over all i find it very enjoyable, even the Shatner track. But then, it is a novelty track on a novel album.

However, to invest even more time into this Shatner fixation instead on giving fans what they really want - a new Folds solo album - is annoying.

After Fear Of Pop, Folds went on TV with Shatner to do the track 'In Love' and i think this was what spurred him on to this other venture.

I'm sure it will be an interesting 'fancy' to indulge the ears in, but all i really want is to get my ears on some of the new original Ben Folds tracks that i have sampled (and blown my money) on his EPs...

Incidentally, Ben Folds version of Songs Of Love by Divine Comedy is pretty fantastic and commendable in its own right.

Goldentony

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
Quote from: "Goldentony"this is almost as good an idea as that joe pesci sings cabaret album

i'd buy that for a dollar...

no, really, i fucking would.

type joe pesci into amazin and it should be there

fuck it, ill do it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DCHN/qid=1088512553/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-1653945-1276428

Joy Nktonga

Just heard this on Xfm. It's not too shabby actually. Typical Shatner delivery; timing as expected and the impression that he feels it's rendition of Shakespeare , all flat and understated with occasional manic "actorly"* moments. All done over a slightly electro-punk backing with Joe Jackson joining in for the chorus. Amusing and definitely a novelty record, but might have some legs if handled well.

In related news, Ben Folds releases new covers EP on August 3rd, and begins a short tour on November 12th.

The above information was culled from and can be seen in greater detail at Xfm's website. You may wish to visit the link  to enhance your Shatner/Folds knowledge.

*I'm not suggesting all actors are like that, but it's that amateurish feel you get at am/dram productions.

Edit: Lauren Laverne has just said she'll be playing it on Xfm sometime between now and 7pm if anyone's intersted in hearing it. She referred to it as "Shatner's Bassoon".

El Unicornio, mang

Just heard it. Christ, it's awful, even by Shatner standards.