Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: The Alternative Comedy Experience

Started by CaledonianGonzo, June 07, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

QuoteComedy Central has announced the commission of The Alternative Comedy Experience, a new TV programme showcasing stand-up talent.

Stewart Lee will host the 12-part series, which has been designed to promote 'cult' comedians who perform regularly on the stand-up circuit but are rarely seen on television.

Aside from a showcase of acts' stand-up and sketch material, Lee will also conduct interviews with each comedian so the audience can learn more about them and their inspirations.

The 30-minute episodes will be recorded at The Stand comedy club in Edinburgh during a single week July, for broadcast on the digital subscription channel later in the year.

Although the line-up has not yet been announced by the network, BroadcastNow reports that Simon Munnery, Robin Ince, Phil Nichol and Maeve Higgins will be amongst the acts the series focuses on.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000835/stewart_lee_the_alternative_comedy_experience/

Should be fun!

KLG-7A

QuoteAlthough the line-up has not yet been announced by the network, BroadcastNow reports that Simon Munnery, Robin Ince, Phil Nichol and Maeve Higgins will be amongst the acts the series focuses on.
So mostly established comedians who are friends of Stew, then? It sounded very promising to me until the names were mentioned.

I hate Robin fucking Ince.

Small Man Big Horse

I wouldn't have thought that Phil Nichol is particularly alternative, I saw him this year and he was on good form but it's hardly 'cult' comedy. I don't want to complain though as it sounds like a great idea, and with 12 episodes it should hopefully give airtime to lesser known but better comics as well.

I have absolutely no issue with Robin Ince, oddly. The only time I've seen him was at Glastonbury 2005 when he read excerpts from Sid Little's autobiography and took the piss out of them, which wasn't exactly groundbreaking stuff but did make me laugh a fair bit. Can anyone enlighten me as to why some folks hate him so?

KLG-7A

He's a horrible little sneering monkey, thinking that he's blowing minds when he's just playing to the gallery in the easiest way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1kJJ-5Bg4

Ince there, putting forward the brilliant observations that theists believe in deities and putting on a voice which is probably best described as working class southerner so we know that religious people are stupid and didn't you go to university? I like books.

He's a friend of Gervais.

KLG-7A

Clicked this video in the related videos. First thing I clicked. He's doing the same thing again almost immediately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1164ohAEA&feature=related

He is a hateful man, and a shit comedian to boot. "Being over 30 means you're getting older! Hahaha."

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 08:33:31 PM
Ince there, putting forward the brilliant observations that theists believe in deities and putting on a voice which is probably best described as working class southerner so we know that religious people are stupid and didn't you go to university? I like books.

Didn't Bill Hicks do that?

I'm no fan of Ince though, he's a boring man.

KLG-7A

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 07, 2012, 08:44:08 PM
Didn't Bill Hicks do that?
Is it even worth comparing Hicks' stories that develop and have intricacies, jokes and showmanship with Ince saying "a magic man done it" to a group of people who would only be there if they know and like him already?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 08:47:14 PM
Is it even worth comparing Hicks' stories that develop and have intricacies, jokes and showmanship with Ince saying "a magic man done it" to a group of people who would only be there if they know and like him already?

Not really, but since your criticism was "putting forward the brilliant observations that theists believe in deities and putting on a voice which is probably best described as working class southerner so we know that religious people are stupid", the exact same thing could be said about Hicks routines, so I guess it's not a bad thing in and of itself.

KLG-7A

You're confusing Hicks relating conversations he actually had with his peers in a largely classless society with Ince adopting a working class accent[nb]that doesn't even fit the material; is Romford the first place that comes to mind when somebody mentions creationism?[/nb] so that his audience of middle class graduates can identify his strawman as a stupid person.

Ooh, that Robin Ince, he's just marvelous! He's a left-winger, just like us. He doesn't actually say anything particularly liberal, but he has the right clothes.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 09:13:48 PM
You're confusing Hicks relating conversations he actually had with his peers in a largely classless society with Ince adopting a working class accent[nb]that doesn't even fit the material; is Romford the first place that comes to mind when somebody mentions creationism?

Is America a classless society?  Huh.

Anyway, I don't really care.  I'm no fan of Ince either.

KLG-7A

Yes. "Largely", "comparatively", "for all intents and purposes", whatever makes you fuck off with it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 08:33:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1kJJ-5Bg4

(plus the other one).

Erm, yeah, that's fair enough. Having watched both of those I can't say I'm anything close to being a fan any longer, the first was irritating and patronising, and the second just a bit weak. There was the odd okay joke, but most of it felt quite predictable.

Mini

Well I love Robin Ince, the stuff he does now is mainly about science and philosophy, which is hardly hack.

KLG-7A

Well I love Ricky Gervais, the stuff he does now is mainly about science and philosophy, which is hardly hack.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 09:25:47 PM
Yes. "Largely", "comparatively", "for all intents and purposes", whatever makes you fuck off with it.

Or "not". Not a classless society.

Mini

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 09:57:03 PM
Well I love Ricky Gervais, the stuff he does now is mainly about science and philosophy, which is hardly hack.

No the stuff he does is about disability and being famous and rich

KLG-7A

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 07, 2012, 11:10:03 PM
Or "not". Not a classless society.
Not having this argument, because it will mainly consist of defining class to mean what we need it to mean for our own individual arguments and pretending that I was suggesting there is no social hierarchy in the USA, when it's cockingly fuckobvious that I'm talking about cultural class and its associated hangups and not situational rich/poor class. See, I've redefined it already.
Quote from: Mini on June 07, 2012, 11:28:02 PM
No the stuff he does is about disability and being famous and rich
Heh. I was being a bit facetious, but it really seemed like you were saying that because of his subject matter he couldn't be shit, which is surely objectively wrong.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mini on June 07, 2012, 09:53:29 PM
Well I love Robin Ince, the stuff he does now is mainly about science and philosophy, which is hardly hack.
Any YouTube-able choice bits in your opinion?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 11:40:04 PMpretending that I was suggesting there is no social hierarchy in the USA, when it's cockingly fuckobvious that I'm talking about cultural class and its associated hangups

Yeah, I hear they don't have that either.

If it weren't for Robin Ince who would we have to tell us that The Daily Mail is a bit silly? That's right, thousands of other 'politically savvy' comics who aren't actually funny.

It sounded like the kind of thing I would normally salivate over until I saw the names mentioned. I don't like that Nichol chap either.

But as was said, six hours is a long time so hopefully there'll be plenty of good acts appearing.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I've never seen Robin Ince's act (seen him on NMTB, and heard him discussing Saturday Live on radio), but I'm at the point now where I don't want to see it, simply because I've heard so much negativity off my friends that either:

(a) they're right, and he'll be complete shit, or
(b) he'll be ok, and I'll have to accept that I have completely different sense of humour to my friends.

Both options involve more emotional trauma than I can bear, so it seems simpler to just never see Robin doing his job.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Anyone think that maybe SLee originally pitched the show as featuring more unknowns, but had to compromise and include some more established names? Just because these people are known in CaBland is no guarantee they mean anything in the rest of the universe.

Or maybe he just wanted to create a show that he could invite Jerry Sadowitz and Simon Munnery on to.

Maybe in a few years we'll be getting a controversial "burning bridges" routine giving "my side of the story about the A.C.E. debacle".

Dead kate moss

No mention of Richard Herring then? He pisses over Robin Ince (in a high-backed armchair I hear).

mr grole

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 11:40:04 PM

Pretty much everything you have said in this thread has been utter bollocks.

Mister Six

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 07, 2012, 08:18:00 PM
So mostly established comedians who are friends of Stew, then? It sounded very promising to me until the names were mentioned.

Established but hardly famous. And it's just common sense to have C- and B-listers like this lot dotted in among the genuine unknowns. They're hardly going to put out a press release with a list of names you've never heard of, are they? Because you've never heard of them.

Obviously if it's all people of Ince/Munnery level then it's a missed opportunity, but it's far too early to make judgements on the eventual quality of the show based on that report.

Crabwalk

Fingers crossed for a Tony Law appearance. Although part of me doesn't want to see the man behind the persona.

KLG-7A

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 08, 2012, 12:54:30 AM
Yeah, I hear they don't have that either.
I'm talking to an American right now who completely agrees, and has no concept of the social issues that relate to this. Would you like to patronise her too? You've made no point from a position of nowhere.

To reference somebody entrenched in both cultures and relevant to the board (being a comedian), Reginald D Hunter makes it fairly easy to understand, by claiming (in a stand-up, jokey fashion) that Britain has a class system so that we can discriminate people who look like us (something that highlights the difference between class war and segregation and a voice of experience claiming that the US doesn't have the same issues).

You really should understand this sort of thing. Didn't you pretend you were doing a Jack Whitehall impression in your comedy videos because you were ashamed of having quite a posh accent?
Quote from: mr grole on June 08, 2012, 08:13:17 AM
Pretty much everything you have said in this thread has been utter bollocks.
Thanks for your contribution.

Famous Mortimer

I watched Robin Ince in Manchester a few years ago and he was really really good. I also enjoyed his book a lot. I'd be happy to watch him do a long-ish bit of standup on the telly.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: CrabwalkFingers crossed for a Tony Law appearance. Although part of me doesn't want to see the man behind the persona.

There's a lengthy/awkward interview with Richard Herring on Law's first GFS DVD that indicates that Law's offstage demeanour isn't a million miles away from his onstage one.

Law's a likely candidate right enough, but I may shy away from it so as not to be served his upcoming Fringe show in bite-sized chunks.