Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,455
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: The Alternative Comedy Experience

Started by CaledonianGonzo, June 07, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

What's this got to do with a TV programme that doesn't contain any Stewart Lee stand-up?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Paaaaul on August 16, 2013, 04:09:51 PM
What's this got to do with a TV programme that doesn't contain any Stewart Lee stand-up?

Shhh. He's having an episode. Just let him get on with it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on August 16, 2013, 03:11:57 PM
Oh, here we go again. "You don't like Stewart Lee because you don't understand him blah blah fuckedy blah".

I understand him. I swear to God I understand him PERFECTLY. I just do not find him remotely funny.
I would sooner have a testicular cyst removed without anaesthetic than listen to this smug bastard.

It's just whenever you try and actually explain why it involves slagging off people who aren't Stewart Lee.

Quote from: Thomas on August 16, 2013, 03:20:26 PM
Must be lonely to dismiss swathes of people based on one thing they enjoy.

This has pretty much been his online calling card since 2006.

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on August 16, 2013, 03:32:09 PM
The irony is, he bollocks other comedians for using writers, yet he used my "shit haired cunt" line and I didn't even get paid for it.

How much did you pay Mike Reid?

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Quote from: Barry Horowitz on August 16, 2013, 04:33:38 PM
How much did you pay Mike Reid?

Unlimited goes on the 'Get Up Three Coons' Cocks - Win A Fortune' fruit machine.

paolozzi

I have two decent seats to sell for Stewart Lee's Much-A-Stew About Nothing On Wed 2 Oct 08:00 at Butterworth Hall, Warwick Arts Centre. Can't make it anymore because I'm moving away. PM if you're interested.

Didn't know where to put this. Delete if you don't care much for this sort of thing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Stewart Lee stole my line "suck my piss you prince of tits".

Is this guy still going? He's had his moment in the sun now fuck off.

Queneau

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on August 16, 2013, 03:42:15 PM
Look, if you want to waste your lives on someone who couldn't even make a hyena laugh

It is believed that a Hyena's laugh is actually a sign of frustration, so if he's that shit he'd have no problem making a hyena laugh.

Stewart Lee is funny. You're not. Maybe that's the real problem for you.

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on August 16, 2013, 03:32:09 PM
The irony is, he bollocks other comedians for using writers, yet he used my "shit haired cunt" line and I didn't even get paid for it.

I bet your ego got a sense of pay-off that was worth thousands of pounds when he did that!

hummingofevil

Was the 'resides at the apex of all that is wank' not one of your's?

I loved that insult.

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 24, 2013, 05:59:28 PM
Was the 'resides at the apex of all that is wank' not one of your's?

I loved that insult.

A link to that one, and lots of other classics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1p9KAW2tuE

Small Man Big Horse

Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I never saw any of the second series as I didn't have comedy central and they weren't posted online as far as I know, but someone's just posted a link to them on Reddit, and the first series is there too for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/notapanelshow/comments/ak66u1/the_alternative_comedy_experience_s01s02/

ProvanFan

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on August 16, 2013, 03:42:15 PM
Look, if you want to waste your lives on someone who couldn't even make a hyena laugh

Hyenas just don't understand his comedy, they prefer a good roast.

easytarget

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 07, 2012, 08:27:30 PM
Robin Ince... Can anyone enlighten me as to why some folks hate him so?

I can do it using no words :

Twed

This is what clinched it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdocQHsPCNM

I'm a pacifist, but if he tilted his head at me I'd have to cream him.

Small Man Big Horse

I was just an innocent pony when I asked that question above, now I fully understand why. And that video is definitely part of the reason.

Captain Z

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 07, 2012, 08:27:30 PM
Robin Ince... Can anyone enlighten me as to why some folks hate him so?

It was that song and performance with Miley Cyrus wasn't it?

Puce Moment

Anyone going to the Wolverhampton event with the Nightingales this Saturday?

Sebastian Cobb

Watching this got me onto Tony Law, David Kay and Elanor Tiernan.

magval

Same here, Maeve Higgins too, whose first book I really enjoyed.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 28, 2019, 03:21:54 PM
I was just an innocent pony when I asked that question above, now I fully understand why. And that video is definitely part of the reason.

I saw him compete a science/comedy show, and all I remember is him being defensive about being in Toronto. I think the unvocalized criticism was "who are you, and what are you doing here?" and he was getting his excuses in early. I'm British(/Canadian) so I knew who he was, but not sure anyone else did. We were all only there to see Chris Hadfield play his guitar anyway.

Seems well-intentioned and nice enough, but I can see how he rubs people the wrong way.

NoSleep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 27, 2019, 02:47:15 PM
Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I never saw any of the second series as I didn't have comedy central and they weren't posted online as far as I know, but someone's just posted a link to them on Reddit, and the first series is there too for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/notapanelshow/comments/ak66u1/the_alternative_comedy_experience_s01s02/

Just downloaded the 1st series and it appears to be only eps 2, 7 & 9. I think it's something to do with the way Google is zipping it up.

rasta-spouse

I've been watching these, and they do confirm that if you go and see most of Lee's recommendations you will have a terrible evening.

NoSleep

Are they his recommendations or just representative of the circuit at the time?

magval

The booklet included with series 1 clarifies much about how the series was put together.

Youse want I should scan it?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on January 31, 2019, 10:20:43 AM
Are they his recommendations or just representative of the circuit at the time?

In the Mustard interview he said:

QuoteHow did you whittle down the shortlist of acts, and was there much compromise with the broadcaster?

There was the odd compromise, more so in the first series. Comedy Central just didn't get it, because they're a commercially-driven channel who just want recognisable names. Plus, there were two or three people that I would have liked to have on that just don't do television. But it was pretty good, I mean 95 percent there.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on January 31, 2019, 09:35:25 AM
I've been watching these, and they do confirm that if you go and see most of Lee's recommendations you will have a terrible evening.

I really disagree with that, there's the odd act I'm not a fan of (I never did get the fuss about David O'Doherty), but it's a show which featured Tony Law, Simon Munnery, Bridget Christie, Josie Long, Paul Foot, Michael Legge, Henning Wehn, Eleanor Tiernan, Kevin Eldon, Fern Brady, Sam Simmons, Trevor Lock and John Hegley, all of whom I've really enjoyed seeing live.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: magval on January 31, 2019, 10:34:27 AM
The booklet included with series 1 clarifies much about how the series was put together.

Youse want I should scan it?

Please do.

QuoteI really disagree with that, there's the odd act I'm not a fan of (I never did get the fuss about David O'Doherty), but it's a show which featured Tony Law, Simon Munnery, Bridget Christie, Josie Long, Paul Foot, Michael Legge, Henning Wehn, Eleanor Tiernan, Kevin Eldon, Fern Brady, Sam Simmons, Trevor Lock and John Hegley, all of whom I've really enjoyed seeing live.

There's definitely some great comics on Lee's ACE, don't get me wrong. But they're the ones we already knew were great. Munnery, Law and Christie are legit brilliant (not that the heavily edited ACE shows this).

What I mean is the up and coming comics Lee recommends that you wouldn't know about unless you were in the scene.   

I binged the show and the phrase that Lee most likes to use with an act is "it feels like a mistake has happened". He uses it with a lot of the post-JosieLong types who have thin material and coast on inept skittishness. And his recommendations on podcasts or newsletters do seem 8/10 times to be people who don't seem to know what they're doing (or, y'know, are acting like that). In a clip show that's fine and maybe a bit refreshing. But for a whole hour... I'm out.

Just to clarify, Josie Long's alright - she's become quite competent in recent years...but her uninformed political stuff is hard to take. Eldon solo standup - not into it - too wacky, but dig his radio solo stuff. Legge (listened to his most recent set on bandcamp the other day), Foot, and Lock all have the makings of something great but haven't got there yet imho.  I went to a Henning Wehn gig a while ago, and the entire thing was a German guy baiting British people about the war. Like almost every single remark. I knew that sort of thing crops up when he does panel shows, but an entire hour of it was a bit tedious and button-pushing.