Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: The Alternative Comedy Experience

Started by CaledonianGonzo, June 07, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

rasta-spouse

WW2.

I liked him on panel shows and he's good on ACE, seems like a reasonable guy with reasonable views pointing out what was funny about the UK. But live, everything seemed needlessly provocative and turned up to the max. Maybe he was going through a "I need to do this one thing I do really well even more" stage. But the show felt so forced I went off him slightly.

Sebastian Cobb

I've not seen Christie in a full-length show but thought whatever it is she does didn't work very well in the short bursts of this alternative comedy thing.

momatt

momatt

They could call themselves, 'Paul and Michael'.

rasta-spouse

Long, Legge, and Foot.

Long sits on Legge's shoulders while Foot regards them and says "blimey, that's not one of my seven styles of comedy!"

magval

Stew's liner notes from series 1 DVD as promised. Didn't bother with the headshots at the back of the booklet.

olliebean

Quote from: magval on January 31, 2019, 09:00:00 PM
Stew's liner notes from series 1 DVD as promised. Didn't bother with the headshots at the back of the booklet.

None of those images are loading here.

magval

I've just had look on my phone, logged out, and can see them OK. Maybe it's your browser?

Edit: Checked my work computer, where there seems to be limited filtering in place, so it doesn't show up here. So that's likely to be something to do with it. Most people's avatars don't load on my work PC and the Last Post That Made You Guffaw thread's unreadable.

Small Man Big Horse

It's weird, I read them last night (and thank you for posting them, it was interesting stuff) but can't see them now and I'm on the same laptop.

magval

I've hosted them on Google Photos, which might be it, as that's blocked under 'personal storage and backup' at work for me and might cause issues with other folks on here.

I'll see about whacking them into a PDF or something, if anyone still wants to read it PM me sure.

olliebean

FWIW, they're showing up as stop signs rather than broken links, which suggests it's a permissions issue. As SMBH saw them last night, perhaps the shareable links had a short expiry period?

NoSleep

They're blocked here (stop sign), on my computer at home. Maybe you've exceeded an upload limitation.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on January 31, 2019, 01:41:56 PM
WW2.

I know.

magval

NoSleep

rasta-spouse

Interesting about Boothby Graffoe, Stew chides him for his "christmas cracker" comedy and then venerates the folk/poet tradition that he comes from.

Who is Graffoe? I've seen him do the Bill Hicks' cigarette carton warnings bit on tv, and wondered why he'd rip that almost signature routine off. Enjoyed his radio work somewhat. Robin Ince mentioned recently Graffoe's mocking remarks almost made him quit when he was starting out. That's about all I got.   

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thanks for sharing that, magval.

I'm assuming that the two absent comics Stew is referring to, the ones who inevitably turned him down, are Kitson and Sadowitz.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 05:21:23 PM
Interesting about Boothby Graffoe, Stew chides him for his "christmas cracker" comedy and then venerates the folk/poet tradition that he comes from.

Who is Graffoe? I've seen him do the Bill Hicks' cigarette carton warnings bit on tv, and wondered why he'd rip that almost signature routine off. Enjoyed his radio work somewhat. Robin Ince mentioned recently Graffoe's mocking remarks almost made him quit when he was starting out. That's about all I got.

I saw Graffoe in the 90s when he played the student union bar I worked at and remember that for a while he was touted as the next big thing, only to have a pretty bland and nothing-y career.

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2019, 05:28:42 PM
Thanks for sharing that, magval.

I'm assuming that the two absent comics Stew is referring to, the ones who inevitably turned him down, are Kitson and Sadowitz.

I assumed the same. Pretty sure we're right with Kitson but on seconds thoughts, why on earth would they think Comedy Central would broadcast a Jerry Sadowitz routine? And if not, why ask?

rasta-spouse

I thought he'd ask Sayle to be on. Didn't Alexei come out of retirement (or novelist status) and tour a full hour of stand up this decade?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 02, 2019, 06:40:46 PM
I saw Graffoe in the 90s when he played the student union bar I worked at and remember that for a while he was touted as the next big thing, only to have a pretty bland and nothing-y career.

Was he good in the 90s? It's possible he and Hicks came up with the cigarette bit independently, but unlikely (I mention it again because surely someone else must have seen him do it).

I was a bit anti-ACE from watching it, but after reading Lee's notes and seeing what he was trying to do...well, yeah, it's preferable to another panel show isn't it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
Was he good in the 90s? It's possible he and Hicks came up with the cigarette bit independently, but unlikely (I mention it again because surely someone else must have seen him do it).

I thought he was at the time but I hadn't seen much stand up back then, and I don't know if I'd be impressed by his set now that I've seen a ridiculous amount. It's been mentioned a couple of times lately but I'm really getting frustrated that the Big Brother for Comedians series Kings Of Comedy isn't online anywhere as he was in it and I know he did do some of his material on the show.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 02, 2019, 10:50:27 PM
Big Brother for Comedians series Kings Of Comedy isn't online anywhere as he was in it and I know he did do some of his material on the show.

Didn't see it myself, but I remember people at the time talking about Boothby walking off this show as either an act of self-sabotage or he just wasn't into competing.

DrGreggles

I saw Boothby supporting Barenaked Ladies on their last couple of tours.
All good fun.

Captain Z

Just started watching Series 2 episode 1 and the footage of Paul Foot is identical to that used in an episode of series 1. Surprised that didn't get spotted.

magval

Is it the same footage right enough? I presumed he'd just performed it twice.

Phil_A

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 05:21:23 PM

Oh my, Graffoe's a name that hasn't come into my consciousness since the early days of Notbbc (circa 2000-01). From memory he had a bit of a following among said nascent internet comedy community although I struggled to understand the appeal.

I've not heard of anything he's done since then

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Those liner notes make it clear why Brexit has to happen.

JCR

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 02, 2019, 06:40:46 PM

Yeah, I remember, it would have been the 1998 Edinburgh Fringe, Graffoe definitely had buzz about him, probably more than S. Lee, as a solo act, had that summer.