Author Topic: Stewart Lee: The Alternative Comedy Experience  (Read 44300 times)

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
Re: Stewart Lee: The Alternative Comedy Experience
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
Which war?

« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »

WW2.

I liked him on panel shows and he's good on ACE, seems like a reasonable guy with reasonable views pointing out what was funny about the UK. But live, everything seemed needlessly provocative and turned up to the max. Maybe he was going through a "I need to do this one thing I do really well even more" stage. But the show felt so forced I went off him slightly.

« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
I've not seen Christie in a full-length show but thought whatever it is she does didn't work very well in the short bursts of this alternative comedy thing.

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »
Legge and Foot

These two need to crack on with a double-act.

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »
They could call themselves, 'Paul and Michael'.

« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »
Long, Legge, and Foot.

Long sits on Legge's shoulders while Foot regards them and says "blimey, that's not one of my seven styles of comedy!"

« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
Stew's liner notes from series 1 DVD as promised. Didn't bother with the headshots at the back of the booklet.

« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2019, 12:06:12 AM »
Stew's liner notes from series 1 DVD as promised. Didn't bother with the headshots at the back of the booklet.

None of those images are loading here.

« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2019, 07:30:18 AM »
I've just had look on my phone, logged out, and can see them OK. Maybe it's your browser?

Edit: Checked my work computer, where there seems to be limited filtering in place, so it doesn't show up here. So that's likely to be something to do with it. Most people's avatars don't load on my work PC and the Last Post That Made You Guffaw thread's unreadable.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:22:20 AM by magval »

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
It's weird, I read them last night (and thank you for posting them, it was interesting stuff) but can't see them now and I'm on the same laptop.

« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
I've hosted them on Google Photos, which might be it, as that's blocked under 'personal storage and backup' at work for me and might cause issues with other folks on here.

I'll see about whacking them into a PDF or something, if anyone still wants to read it PM me sure.

« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
FWIW, they're showing up as stop signs rather than broken links, which suggests it's a permissions issue. As SMBH saw them last night, perhaps the shareable links had a short expiry period?

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #402 on: February 01, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
They're blocked here (stop sign), on my computer at home. Maybe you've exceeded an upload limitation.

WW2.

I know.

« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
Second attempt at posting the liner notes.

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Ta.

« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »

Interesting about Boothby Graffoe, Stew chides him for his "christmas cracker" comedy and then venerates the folk/poet tradition that he comes from.

Who is Graffoe? I've seen him do the Bill Hicks' cigarette carton warnings bit on tv, and wondered why he'd rip that almost signature routine off. Enjoyed his radio work somewhat. Robin Ince mentioned recently Graffoe's mocking remarks almost made him quit when he was starting out. That's about all I got.   

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2019, 05:28:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, magval.

I'm assuming that the two absent comics Stew is referring to, the ones who inevitably turned him down, are Kitson and Sadowitz.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
Interesting about Boothby Graffoe, Stew chides him for his "christmas cracker" comedy and then venerates the folk/poet tradition that he comes from.

Who is Graffoe? I've seen him do the Bill Hicks' cigarette carton warnings bit on tv, and wondered why he'd rip that almost signature routine off. Enjoyed his radio work somewhat. Robin Ince mentioned recently Graffoe's mocking remarks almost made him quit when he was starting out. That's about all I got.

I saw Graffoe in the 90s when he played the student union bar I worked at and remember that for a while he was touted as the next big thing, only to have a pretty bland and nothing-y career.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, magval.

I'm assuming that the two absent comics Stew is referring to, the ones who inevitably turned him down, are Kitson and Sadowitz.

I assumed the same. Pretty sure we’re right with Kitson but on seconds thoughts, why on earth would they think Comedy Central would broadcast a Jerry Sadowitz routine? And if not, why ask?

« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »
I thought he'd ask Sayle to be on. Didn't Alexei come out of retirement (or novelist status) and tour a full hour of stand up this decade?

I saw Graffoe in the 90s when he played the student union bar I worked at and remember that for a while he was touted as the next big thing, only to have a pretty bland and nothing-y career.

Was he good in the 90s? It's possible he and Hicks came up with the cigarette bit independently, but unlikely (I mention it again because surely someone else must have seen him do it).

I was a bit anti-ACE from watching it, but after reading Lee's notes and seeing what he was trying to do...well, yeah, it's preferable to another panel show isn't it.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:27 PM »
Was he good in the 90s? It's possible he and Hicks came up with the cigarette bit independently, but unlikely (I mention it again because surely someone else must have seen him do it).

I thought he was at the time but I hadn't seen much stand up back then, and I don't know if I'd be impressed by his set now that I've seen a ridiculous amount. It's been mentioned a couple of times lately but I'm really getting frustrated that the Big Brother for Comedians series Kings Of Comedy isn't online anywhere as he was in it and I know he did do some of his material on the show.

« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
Big Brother for Comedians series Kings Of Comedy isn't online anywhere as he was in it and I know he did do some of his material on the show.

Didn't see it myself, but I remember people at the time talking about Boothby walking off this show as either an act of self-sabotage or he just wasn't into competing.

« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2019, 03:07:54 PM »
I saw Boothby supporting Barenaked Ladies on their last couple of tours.
All good fun.

Captain Z

• Oh yeah my cholesterol's going down
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
Just started watching Series 2 episode 1 and the footage of Paul Foot is identical to that used in an episode of series 1. Surprised that didn't get spotted.

« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2019, 08:19:01 PM »
Is it the same footage right enough? I presumed he'd just performed it twice.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »

Oh my, Graffoe's a name that hasn't come into my consciousness since the early days of Notbbc (circa 2000-01). From memory he had a bit of a following among said nascent internet comedy community although I struggled to understand the appeal.

I've not heard of anything he's done since then

Mark Steels Stockbroker

• Lost in the former West
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:09 PM »
Those liner notes make it clear why Brexit has to happen.

« Reply #417 on: February 11, 2019, 02:25:29 AM »

Yeah, I remember, it would have been the 1998 Edinburgh Fringe, Graffoe definitely had buzz about him, probably more than S. Lee, as a solo act, had that summer.