Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad season 5 (July 15th)

Started by alan nagsworth, June 11, 2012, 07:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 18, 2012, 10:00:26 PM
There are quite a lot of new promo pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/0x1yM

Slight casting spoiler in that link:
Spoiler alert
Mike is back! Mike is back! Mike is BAAAAAAAAACK!
[close]

kitsofan34

"Vince feels that now we have too much story," Cranston says, laughing. "We could actually go beyond those 16 episodes."

From the LA Times. Urgh, no thanks.

Artemis

Oh dear, I hope they can iron that out. There's a danger of introducing too many new elements in a final season, that can smother the original storylines and stop them from reaching a neater and more natural conclusion (see: Lost). As much as I love this show, I wouldn't want them to have to round things off in a feature length special.

Old Nehamkin

kitsofan34

I still can't believe
Spoiler alert
Gus adjusting his tie with half his face blown off
[close]
.Such a shitty idea and completely different in tone to the entire programme.

Crabwalk

Yup. I love the show but that moment is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on television. A complete misjudgement that places all subsequent drama in a comic book universe. I hope the 5th series quickly re-establishes a credible milieu. Yes, I said milieu bitches.

Oh God, I really hope they don't fuck this up. 

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but Season 4 had such a perfect end to it, and the thought of them dragging this out for another 16 episodes unnecessarily just for the sake of it concerns me.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there's been talk of a Breaking Bad film after Season 5.  This probably ties in with Cranston's quote about Gilligan having "too much story".

Please, no!

kitsofan34

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on July 01, 2012, 10:46:57 PM

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but Season 4 had such a perfect end to it, and the thought of them dragging this out for another 16 episodes unnecessarily just for the sake of it concerns me.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there's been talk of a Breaking Bad film after Season 5.  This probably ties in with Cranston's quote about Gilligan having "too much story".

Please, no!

I posted about it four posts above your comment :(

Old Nehamkin

I dunno, to me the ending of season 4 feels more like the calm before the storm. The narrative arc of the series- as stated by Gilligan and co. from pretty much the beginning- is meant  to be Walt's transformation from a likable protagonist into a complete villain. It'd feel like a cop-out if the show ended without taking that premise to its conclusion.

Also there are still a number of huge dramatic pay-offs that the show's been building up but hasn't cashed in on yet, most obviously Hank finding out that Walt is Heisenberg. Not to mention Walt's cancer.

As for Gus's tie thing, it certainly stretches believability[nb]Although from what little I understand about these things, the body can do some pretty bizarre things in a state of shock. Aren't there stories about soldiers being partly blown up and continuing to walk around normally for a brief period? Disclaimer: I may well be completely wrong about this.[/nb], but this show's never exactly been The Wire in terms of realism; It was a deservedly theatrical demise for a larger-than-life villain, I can allow them a little dramatic liscence if it makes for as memorable a moment as that.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 01, 2012, 10:50:03 PM
I posted about it four posts above your comment :(

Oh yeah, so you did!
Check out this dunce.

thugler

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 01, 2012, 10:30:54 PM
I still can't believe [nb]Gus adjusting his tie with half his face blown off[/nb]. Such a shitty idea and completely different in tone to the entire programme.

Totally disagree, it's always had a bit of a comic book style about it and plenty of other crazy things have happened over the series. The exploding tortoise with a head strapped to it for example.

dr_christian_troy

For a man who hides in plain sight running a chain of chicken restaurants, it seemed entirely appropriate that the owner would get so far without his head before truly dying....

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 01, 2012, 11:21:49 PM
As for Gus's tie thing, it certainly stretches believability[nb]Although from what little I understand about these things, the body can do some pretty bizarre things in a state of shock. Aren't there stories about soldiers being partly blown up and continuing to walk around normally for a brief period? Disclaimer: I may well be completely wrong about this.[/nb]
They showed that sort of thing happening in the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, didn't they? Gus' death was an iconic moment. Certainly not a shark jump, as far as I'm concerned.

If the show had been cancelled suddenly, season four would have been a fairly satisfying conclusion (we've seen that Walt is capable and ruthless enough to defeat all opposition, and can infer that he'll become the new kingpin) but as noted there's still lots left to wrap up. For instance, will Jesse find out about Walt letting Jane die?

social rhinoceros

Currently watching S3. This is amazing!!  I could watch this back to back but I'm trying to drip feed them!!!!!

Gus's death scene is the fastest my heart has beaten in my life. Far from being a shark jump, and as much as I recognise the ridiculousness of it, it is that moment - from the most tense moment in television history  to the sudden shock of "OH SHIT, NO FUCKING WAY DID HE SURVIVE THAT SHIT" to the "FUCK ME, HIS FACE IS FUCKING GONE, HE'S DEAD, FUCKING YES" that sums up what is so incredible about this show. It's a ridiculous show, as well as being the most gripping drama I've ever seen (and that includes Sopranos and The Wire).

As with a lot of the show, the music really makes it. I actually watched it a second time with some friends who hadn't seen it before and was more on edge knowing what was about to happen than I was when I first watched it. Stunning moment.

I mean COME ON: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJW9MUaQMyc&feature=related

Necrophagism

It really is the music. It makes everytime seem like the first time. July 16th? I have time to start again.

Mister Six

Quote from: thugler on July 01, 2012, 11:58:43 PM
Totally disagree, it's always had a bit of a comic book style about it and plenty of other crazy things have happened over the series. The exploding tortoise with a head strapped to it for example.

Or the murderous twins. Or Walt blowing up Tuco's HQ.

phes

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 01, 2012, 11:21:49 PM

Also there are still a number of huge dramatic pay-offs that the show's been building up but hasn't cashed in on yet, most obviously Hank finding out that Walt is Heisenberg. Not to mention Walt's cancer.

This whole thing started as a means to protect his family - I figure the death of an immediate family member is more likely than Walt. And I guess Hank's wife will find out before Hank, being as she wont want to turn her sister in.

Toast

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 02, 2012, 12:26:50 AM
For instance, will Jesse find out about Walt letting Jane die?

Walt would have to tell Jesse about that himself, I don't think anyone else knows about it. If Walt ever feels like getting himself killed this might be a good way to make it happen.

I think Walt's bigger problem is Jesse finding out about the poisoning, a few people must know about that, like Saul.

Artemis

I didn't think S4 had a perfect end to it - there's still a whole storyline left dangling (Hank vs Walt). It had a real Babylon 5 season 4 end to it, where they kind of loosely tied things up in case there wasn't going to be another season, but in a very unsatisfying way (I'm talking about the very end), and also not in a way that they would have done had they known there definitely was going to be another season.

Don't get me wrong - the last few episodes of season 4 were incredible, pretty much non-stop awesomeness from the pool scene right up until the finale, but the finale itself was a slight let-down, both for reasons above, and also the lingering shot of the plant, which was too obvious.

I have high hopes for season 5, and if I'm absolutely honest, I can't fucking wait.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Toast on July 02, 2012, 12:30:07 PM
Walt would have to tell Jesse about that himself, I don't think anyone else knows about it. If Walt ever feels like getting himself killed this might be a good way to make it happen.

I think Walt's bigger problem is Jesse finding out about the poisoning, a few people must know about that, like Saul.
I expect you're right. Perhaps Jesse could put two and two together and realise that Walt was in the house that night to get the money, but he couldn't know that it coincided with Jane carking it. Still, that scene was one of the most shocking I think I've ever seen in a telly show. Compared to that, making a kid ill seems almost trivial.

dr_christian_troy

Has anyone purchased any of the artwork from the ongoing www.breakinggifs.com? I managed to nab the Gus one, it's rather lovely indeed.

Ja'moke

The best scene from Season 4 was Walt under the floorboards laughing maniacally when he realised that a shit-storm was heading his way. The way the camera panned out, and hearing Skylar answer that phonecall with Walt going mental in the background. Chills!

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 06, 2012, 04:53:33 PM
Has anyone purchased any of the artwork from the ongoing www.breakinggifs.com? I managed to nab the Gus one, it's rather lovely indeed.

They all appear to be sold out. :(

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 07, 2012, 12:27:57 AM
They all appear to be sold out. :(

Based on the chart, there's a fair few more to come. I think I only managed nabbing the one I did because I kept an eye on it, refreshing the page etc. You know when another one is imminent when they mention a 'clue' on their twitter feed (breakinggifs)...

Old Nehamkin

Mister Six

Quote from: Artemis on July 02, 2012, 02:32:04 PMthe lingering shot of the plant, which was too obvious.

I've seen a few people say this and I find it a bit bizarre. Granted, some folks online had identified the plant inbetween episodes, but how were the writers and director supposed to get Walt's secret across to folks who hadn't seen those threads, or have degrees in botany?

buntyman

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 06, 2012, 04:53:33 PM

These look nice, that sunset one with the camper van and the Saul ones are my favourites. I might have to keep an eye on that site for some future releases. How regularly is a new one revealed?

Old Nehamkin

BritishHobo

I'm excited about the fact that
Spoiler alert
A, Saul is back, after all the rumours that season 4 would be his last (I know this isn't new news, it's been known for a while, but I'm glad all the same), and B, Mike appears to be fairly well-involved with Walt and Jesse
[close]
Should be really interesting to see how this all pans out.

chand

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2012, 05:15:08 PM
I've seen a few people say this and I find it a bit bizarre. Granted, some folks online had identified the plant inbetween episodes, but how were the writers and director supposed to get Walt's secret across to folks who hadn't seen those threads, or have degrees in botany?

It also helped tie up that bit of foreshadowing from the spinning gun scene. And it still left a number of questions unanswered about how he actually did it. It could maybe have been a subtler shot in some ways but I think the show leaves enough things ambiguous to be able to get away with the odd explicit confirmation.