Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why does the world hate Alien 3?

Started by Blumf, June 12, 2012, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Just watched the extended cut, and really enjoyed it. It adds some good scenes that successfully flesh out the film, and Paul McGann's story-arc is much more interesting here than in the shorter edit.

Killing off Newt and Hicks was harsh, certainly, but it stops the third film becoming a straight rehash of the second, and amps up the tension of Ripley being alone with a load of rapists and murderers. She's as much an alien in that enviroment as the creature she brings with her, and the threats come from all angles

The scene with Ripley being scanned and finding the alien queen inside her is one of the best moments in the whole series, for me. Weaver's acting there is, as a previous poster noted, absolutely brilliant, and hugely lifts the stakes as it glides into the final act

I also really liked the alien suddenly jumping out from the lead, at the end. You know it's coming, but it never fails to make me jump! The way the creature is eventually destroyed is inspired too, and a nice change from the two previous films

So, yup, count me in as another fan. And I'd also now highly recommend the longer-cut DVD or BluRay, as it improved the film a great deal for me. The more leisurely paced version sits far better alongside the first two films

Never seen Resurrection. Have never felt the need, seeing as this film wraps up the story so well. The idea of bringing Ripley back as a clone doesn't sit right with me at all either. SOD IT IN THE EARS

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Dead kate moss on June 25, 2012, 01:39:10 AM
The problem is that Fincher cannot make the Aliens and their attacks scary.

this hits the nail on the head pretty hard.

Ginyard

The dumb thing was killing Charles Dance's Doc at the end of the first act. He played the part of the inmate doctor perfectly. You never quite know what his angle is. The second he's gone the film opens its jaws, whimpers through plastic vampire teeth and squirts jam.

OK, so the scan scene is very decent, just about capturing the impromptu feel of the original Alien thanks to 85 fumbling about with the equipment, but that's about it. The rest is dull. Alien Resurrection might point at 11 Oclock on the shitometer but I find it infinitely more entertaining and enjoyable.