Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblewrong 2012

Started by copylight, June 14, 2012, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copylight

I see the gates are open so I might as well ask the question, who the fuck is up for this?

Cohaagen

Lyndon

I'll play, but I'm going to keep calling it Niggermong out of principle.

copylight

Right then. That's me in too.

"Come on, the rest of you cunts"

Cerys

Repentia

Womblewringers, assemble!

Artemis

gmoney

Ferro Carril

It's a shame that it takes a kerfuffle over millionaire comedian Ricky Gervais's use of the word 'mong' for people to consider the impact of the word but ultimately, a good decision.

Viero_Berlotti

Gonna have to bow out this year, too much on at work and home. Will try and make a return next year if it's still going.

baptist

I'm in - and out in the first round no doubt in true blue British style.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Cerys

I always assumed that 'mong' in this context was an amalgamation of 'montage' and 'wrong'.

Yes, I'm just that naive.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Cerys on June 15, 2012, 11:51:05 AM
I always assumed that 'mong' in this context was an amalgamation of 'montage' and 'wrong'.

I don't think it was ever meant to be gratuitously offensive. In one respect, it changed form being a noun to a verb, and as a verb 'to mong' in the context of this forum, developed into something that was far removed from it's original derogatory meaning, having positive connotations i.e, 'excellent monging'.

So there's probably more of a debate to be had here about changing meanings in language than there was regarding Gervais's use of the word.

Still, it's probably best to change it as to people who aren't aware of the idiosyncratic language use of a niche website like this could interpret it the wrong way.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on June 15, 2012, 11:51:05 AM

I thought it was something to do with mongering[nb]What does a monger monger?[/nb].

sirhenry

Quote from: NoSleep on June 15, 2012, 12:37:24 PM
[nb]What does a monger monger?[/nb].
mon·ger  [muhng-ger, mong-]
noun
1. a person who is involved with something in a petty or contemptible way

or not.

NoSleep

Quote1. a person who is involved with something in a petty or contemptible way

Perfect!

BlodwynPig

Nuclear Optimism

Ey, I'm like Rosa Parks me.

Zetetic

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on June 15, 2012, 12:36:27 PM
I don't think it was ever meant to be gratuitously offensive. In one respect, it changed form being a noun to a verb, and as a verb 'to mong' in the context of this forum, developed into something that was far removed from it's original derogatory meaning, having positive connotations i.e, 'excellent monging'.

So there's probably more of a debate to be had here about changing meanings in language than there was regarding Gervais's use of the word.
Neil outlined the route here in the other thread; if it's not clear from that post, it's usage here has come via "monged" (a simple adjective) rather than directly from "a mong".

Noodle Lizard

EDIT:  Not arsed.

Big Jack McBastard

I'm in, don't hold with this name changing lark though, what are we? Ricky Gervais' unheard conscience?

alan nagsworth

I'm in, absolutely.

I guess it's probably far too late to reach a proper decision about doing a Wimblemong Olympics this year then? I think it was too much to formulate on such a big forum, to be fair, and unless any one person actively came up with something infallibly ace on their own, it could never really work like this wonderully tried and tested formula does year in, year out.

Unless anyone thinks we should at least integrate some kind of rough Olympics theme to the whole proceedings this year?

NoSleep

A relay event? Like a normal match but with multiple entrants, and maybe twice round.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I'm on hols[nb]most likely spent discovering smugglers or being racist[/nb] the 30th to the 7th and won't have internet. Is this ok?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on June 21, 2012, 10:10:21 PM
I'm on hols the 30th to the 7th and won't have internet. Is this ok?

Not if you want to use the internet, it's not. Otherwise, it should be fine.

sirhenry

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on June 21, 2012, 10:10:21 PM
I'm on hols the 30th to the 7th and won't have internet. Is this ok?
Yes, we'll feed it for you while you're away.
Again.

Jemble Fred

Oh, fucking fuck, this all seems a bit sudden. Any idea when the first move has to be made by? I may end up defaulting, just have so much to do.