Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street (fresh thread)

Started by Sam, June 18, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

What's happened to the Corry threads? The general, plainly titled "Cornation Street" hasn't been posted in for over a year and "Favourite Moments from..." is a bit misleading.

We need a catch all thread which can stay on the front page and be posted in somehwhat regularly...

Does anyone actually keep bang up to date with it? I assume with all the TV out there and big hard drives most people have a backlog to watch. I'm about 20 episodes behind: Leslie's just died and Tommy's decided the best course of action in his life is to deceive his girlfriend, give his Dad 9 grand and choose to be in debt to a loan shark.

Somebody better post who knows what's going on at the moment, then I'll come back in when I've caught up.

Gulftastic

I am up to date.

At the moment, Tina has forgiven Tommy, despite his almost ridiculous stupidity. She set a trap and got the drug dealer arrested and sent dahn. As this is Corrie, that is the end of it, despite him seeming to have a number of associates who would probably be happy to do nasty things to Tina.

Leanne has persuaded Peter that he is not the best Dad in the world, and Curly Simon has gone to live with her.

Sunita is frothing at the gash for Karl, even though he wants to cool it down a bit. Dev's pain is great as it's leading to some epic over-acting.

Tyrone's bird chinned him with a ladle, then slammed him into a door. More to come on that, I think.

Eva's tits remain epic.

doppelkorn

I'm up to date give or take an episode or two.

There's some good stuff still to come this summer as Roy and Mary get friendly. I get all the spoilers off the blogs, me.

doppelkorn

They have six people living at the Rovers currently: Stella, Carl, Leanne, Simon, Eva and Sunita.

pk1yen

I'm up to date except for yesterday's. How does anyone who doesn't watch on the internet possibly keep up to date? The scheduling seems to completely spaz out every month or so, with absolutely no prior warning. And I can't set foot on the official ITV Corrie page to see when it's on, because it's absolutely plastered with spoilers.

I've never understood why anyone would actively seek out spoilers for a show that consists entirely of plot. Why the hell would people ruin their favourite programmes for themselves? Magazines are full of them, the websites are full of them -- daytime TV is full of them. I don't understand. Last time I checked the site, when the scheduling went odd, it had a full-page "FRANK IS GOING TO BE KILLED" headline about two weeks before it happened. Fuckers.

The little paragraph blurb under the ITV Player usually has loads of spoilers as well -- I have to actively block it from my view when I'm loading it.

Jackson K Pollock

I agree, it's absolutely insane.

This was the precis for yesterday's episode on the TV Guide app on my phone (I've spoilered it for people who aren't yet up-to-date):

Spoiler alert
Eva spots a wad of banknotes sticking out of Karl's pocket and overhears Sunita telling him she is not going to keep his grubby little secrets any more. Peter and Leanne discuss a few ground rules regarding Simon, while Jason eagerly prepares for his date. Tracy and Beth are horrified to see No 13 on the market, but get little change from Steve, who remains adamant about selling it.
[close]

All they needed to add was
Spoiler alert
Audrey and Nigel Havers stand around the bar and make a joke about it being Alison Moyet's birthday
[close]
and I wouldn't need to tune in at all!

And that's one of the less detailed episode descriptions I've seen...

The Masked Unit

When I'm selecting Corrie on the EPG or from the PVR's library, I have to look away/half close my eyes to avoid the fucking descriptions. Agree that it's completely insane that they leak stories weeks or months ahead of them happening, but I suppose the logic is that they need to attract fair weather (field) viewers.  Fuck 'em I say - they don't deserve the street.

doppelkorn

I like how they've replaced everything Rosie brought to the soap with Eva and her talents.

Madison

I feel like Abed in Community over the Sunita and Carl storyline - no idea what we're supposed to be feeling about it. Is he a cunt? A jack the lad cheeky charlie? Do we want him and Sunita to get together, or is she a obstacle to his happiness and stealing money from the ever sighing thingy from Eastenders? Are we meant to fancy him and his insouciant polo shirts?

Corrie have a habit of introducing these slightly frightening alpha males who I assume are there to do a murder, only for me to find out after a month or so they're the inside soap hunk of the month and the nations women have gone total fizzy knickers over them. Women are weird.

doppelkorn

Dev's weird. His agent managed to argue for a clause that when he's not doing a serious storyline he's allowed, once every two weeks, to order a drink at the Rovers "in the manner of Bobcat Goldthwaite." He used to be allowed to sarcastically refuse a request for money from Amber "in the manner of Bobcat Goldthwaite" as well but they wrote her out.

The Masked Unit

MuteBanana

Alan Halsall who plays Tyrone has become a favourite of mine.

Molly's funeral I think is where I stood up and noticed him. He's been around for over a decade and just been plodding along. I think Corrie is excellent at building up communities and legacies for the future. They have a good base of young characters that have been around for ages that can take the show on for another 30 years.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: MuteBanana on June 24, 2012, 09:23:01 PM
Alan Halsall who plays Tyrone has become a favourite of mine.

Molly's funeral I think is where I stood up and noticed him. He's been around for over a decade and just been plodding along. I think Corrie is excellent at building up communities and legacies for the future. They have a good base of young characters that have been around for ages that can take the show on for another 30 years.

It's interesting how they've gradually turned Steve MacDonald into a full blown comedy character in the past ten years. He is sort of replacing Jack Duckworth's role except with multiple wives.
The thing I did find ridiculous was Rosie not coming home when her Mum was at death's door after her attack and similarly, when Audrey had her cardiac arrest. I know the actress has left the show (mores the pity) but they didn't have any explanation for her absence. Surely, her reality show would be over by now. Why haven't we heard what happened?

Janie Jones

Alan Halsall has improved loads, something definitely changed in the last year or so.  He's really good now.  They need to do the same for Kirk.

Interesting point about Steve MacDonald being a comedy character now.  I wonder if we'll see him get a serious storyline again? I don't mind, he's a great comic actor.   

How good was Peter Barlow channeling Robert De Niro in Cape Fear in the last episode.  When he sat down in The Bistro with Leanne and Nick, their discomfort with his bright demeanor and its underlying menace was palpable.  It's a credit to his charisma and acting skills that he managed to make his intimidation of the younger, taller, fitter, richer Nick, totally convincing.

The Masked Unit

This week's game of chess between Roy and Mary was a comedy masterclass. One of my favourites is Mary.

pk1yen

Quote from: The Masked Unit on July 13, 2012, 12:47:30 PM
This week's game of chess between Roy and Mary was a comedy masterclass. One of my favourites is Mary.

Roy jumping out of his skin when Hayley kissed him on the cheek mid-concentration had me in hysterics. Corrie is so good at doing odd characters.

The Masked Unit

I love learning little snippets of Mary's background, and thinking about how that formed her character.

Brundle-Fly

It's been a bit farcical of late. The rat in the pub was Fawlty Towers lite and they even dredged up the Carry On Cabby premise for LLoyd and Steve. Pitiful.

Having said that, I thought the break up scene between Sean and Marcus was very moving and well played. I wonder where they're going to take the Maria/ Marcus storyline? If they get them together, this might be the most controversial Corrie storyline in a long time, knowing the show's gay following.

Sam

Peter's continuous downward spiral has been magnificent. The writing is so well observed and the acting so consummate that it's raised to the level of high class drama, far above anything that ought to be in a soap...which is the reason Corrie is so great of course. They fall over when they try to do crime stuff, like the loan shark plot line, which was laughable, but they do families and the bleakness of relationships so well. 

What's so great about the Peter plot is the realism of someone stuck on a loop, alienating everyone, destroying what precious little he has, and digging himself deeper because lieing to himself is so easy. Leanne seems to have her shit together at first, but as things unravel, wants to have her cake and eat it, blowing her consistency in the rush to be a sanctimonious hypocrite. If anything she's far worse than Peter.

It's all lovely stuff - the tawdry and unpleasant side of people.

Also I could watch Norris talk about biscuits for hours.

And did anyone notice a really nice corpse when Steve put on a silly deep voice at the bar and the Tina actor lost it and could still be seen genuinely giggling in the back of the shot? It was like Curb!

MuteBanana

I didn't see that, was it on this week?

That reminds me of a scene a few weeks back when Steve flirted with Tina. It was so off the cuff and unexpected, you wonder how much leeway the director gives actors who know their characters to ad-lib.

I agree with what's been said about Peter. The actor was fantastic in all those scenes. "Me and Si are just having some breakfast." "Oh Si is it?"

Gulftastic

They are doing so well. Whatever Peter does, I still feel sympathy for him.

The Plunger

<Spoiler alert>

FUCKING WENDY CROZIER IS COMING BACK SOON.

MuteBanana

Wonder if she was one of the cast members Bill 'The Cock' Rocahe slept with.

Gulftastic

'Oops! I've dropped some piccalilli on your Bishop.'

Line of the month from Mary in tonight's.

Also, Steve Macdonald fantasy about Michelle. Good stuff.

doppelkorn

A bit old now but at the sports day Dev talking about someone doing their cruciate in and pointing to his neck was top understated comedy writing. You'd NEVER get that in EastEnders.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 16, 2012, 08:39:04 PM
'Oops! I've dropped some piccalilli on your Bishop.'

I actually preferred Roy's line from the earlier ep, which elicited a genuine guffaw from me:

(from memory) "There's no shame at being moved to tears by fine art, it shows a deep and sensitive soul... Would you like another cheese barm?"

Think I might have to watch that back again later to get the exact wording...

Gulftastic

The Roy/Mary scenes are excellent. They could lift the scenes out of the show and run them as a Play For Today.

I loved Peter's barmy plan last night. Get hold of a sailboat, wait for the Trade Winds, then sail the Atlantic with Carla and Simon. Seriously, Corrie, WTF??

doppelkorn

Who else thinks the new Ryan is just a cynical attmpt to inject some eye candy? I hate it when they do this.

"Oooh he's a bad boy, he's gonna ruffle some feathers. WATCH OUT WETHERFIELD!"

I'm not watching it until he fucks off again. Every proper fan likes Roy and Mary and the funnier, more incidental stuff but they keep reverting to these crap characters and storylines.

And Carla's new brother can't act. He needs to wipe that smirk of his face. I can't bear them parachuting dickheads in like this.

buttgammon

The other thing about Ryan is that he looked barely old enough to go to university when he left, whereas he now looks roughly the same age as his mum.

I don't see anything interesting happening with him, really, or Carla's brother (he inspires so much more than ennui in me that I can even be bothered to look up his name...). They'll probably both cause a bit of trouble and leave without making much of an impact.

Jackson K Pollock

Yup, the new Ryan is absolutely terrible. What I don't get about it, is that he's not just a new actor playing the same character, which I could sort of accept - he's playing an entirely different character.

I actually said to my sister after his debut that he looked like he'd walked straight off the set of Hollyoaks - only to be told that he had been in it last year.

Sadly, this might just be the most perceptive thing I've ever actually said in real life.

---

FAKE EDIT: As terrible as the new Ryan is, getting him to limbo-dance to show that he was faking his back injury was absolutely top-drawer, classic sitcom-style escalation, and had me laughing harder than probably any televised UK comedy this year.