Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street (fresh thread)

Started by Sam, June 18, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

I was certain that there was once a storyline where Mavis had an accident with a running machine, but the internet seemed to lead me to think I had imagined it.

But this beauty of a website http://www.corrie.net/updates/wtn/1995.html reveals I was true, when she fell from the Mile Muncher. It's a 'uniquely' written in-depth synopsis that could trump Mallory, complete with personal interjections and reactions to the smallest of situations. For example

QuoteOutside, Jack has arrived and doesn't want to go up a ladder but Vera lashes him unmercifully with her tongue. During this conversation, Vera expresses how she's really taken a shine to Trish, reminds her of herself as a young woman. Trish comes back and says the man has already lent his ladder out to someone else. Now what? Jack decides the only thing for it is to break the window in the door which he does. Jamie shows up and very vocally recognizes Jack as the man his dad thumped in their flat that time. Vera's lips tighten at this news. Oops i think Trish has just lost that friend LOL!

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on July 24, 2012, 02:27:26 PM

FAKE EDIT: As terrible as the new Ryan is, getting him to limbo-dance to show that he was faking his back injury was absolutely top-drawer, classic sitcom-style escalation, and had me laughing harder than probably any televised UK comedy this year.

That whole scene with Eva using her massive....trust issues, to trick the silly boy into confessing his deception was marvellous.

As is Eva, to be honest.

Brundle-Fly

I liked Roy's passive aggressive gesturing arms for Mary to leave the cafe. He's great, David Neilson.

Sam

Where do people park their cars? When someone has to pull up for an establishing shot, they park on the street, yet at most other times the street is strangely empty! It would be bumper to bumper in any small terraced street in the land. Round the back there's barely enough room to swing a becarpeted corpse!

What happens to the debt problems? Karl and Stella have been dick shrinkingly in debt recently but so have Steve, Dev, Ches and probably more. Nary a mention is made and yet there they are buying exorbitant bottled beer, cafe lunches, chips and kebabs, taxis back and forward etc. How in shitting Ahmed does Chesney's market stall earnings cover things, I wonder to myself whilst loooking out of windows and such.

Where do they all sleep? Eileen housed half the street at one point, in a tiny shoe box house.

Where are the kids? Sometimes characters are present in situations where the babysitting arrangements are just not implicit enough for my liking.

These and many other questions swirl around my being like a haze of midges. Please add any other concerns.

Gulftastic

My main concern is that Katy appears to be getting even better looking as time goes on, whilst Chesney becomes more and more Albert Steptoe. They make even Tina and fucking Graham seem plausible.

MuteBanana

She is ridiculous. Fitter than Michelle Keegan.

Glad Dev has got rid of moaning Sunita. I'd rather see him perusing toy catalogues and sucking on lollipops.

finnquark

My two main concerns are -

How is such a small knicker factory financially viable?

Why does Dev always have a packet of Garibaldi biscuits on hand under the till?

MuteBanana

No idea. How many knickers can be made in an hour?

They flirted with expanding I think when they branched out into printing t-shirts and selling them online. It's funny how such a skilled job ends up being doable by anyone that should happen to need a job.

doppelkorn

I've voiced this one before but when someone goes to one of the four or five local businesses for a job, the owner/manager is always able to have them start tonight,

"Great! When can I start?"

"How about tonight?!??!?"

If that person hadn't come and asked for the job, how were they planning to cover that shift?

Another mark against the profitability of the factory is the fact that Carla gives them all hundreds of hours a year each off to deal with many personal hardships.

MuteBanana

And they hit the pub each lunch time.

Even if you can handle your ale, I can't see anyone in Carla's position tolerating that. You just wouldn't risk some crazy stitching ending up going out.

Steve McDonald the other night, with his Conway Twitty date hair to impress Michelle. Love that man.

Brundle-Fly

There was Tracy and Ryan dialogue tonight that slipped in the "Funny how?" scene from Goodfellas .   

Looking forward to seeing them kidnapped, held in a boot of a Streetcar cab and then repeatedly stabbed by Steve MacDonald on Thursday's ep, followed by supper at the Barlows.

doppelkorn

I've not watched it in about 6 weeks. My longest time off in about 3 years and it's all due to new twat Ryan and Carla's new twat brother. Are they gone yet and if not when are they going?

The Masked Unit

Y'see, I don't mind Carla's brother so much despite him annoying me initially. Ryan on the other hand; Whaddac Hunt.

Dev shoulda decked than whiney Manc cunt Carl t'other night, but the man's got to much class for that. Sinita could do with being shown the back of his hand and all.

Morrison Lard

Coro's hit a low at the moment for me. Some really shit characters and storylines.

I know there's an inevitable predictability about soaps most of the times, but that storyline involving
Carl becoming Delboy and buying those smoke alarms, which *shock horror* ended up being faulty, was pure shite.
I wish he'd he just piss off with his fictitious mates, Tez and Deggzy.

And then there's that wide-gobbed "drug addict" bad boy who took all of 5 minutes to be assimilated into the cobbles.
He's not even Michelle's kid? Are we supposed to have forgotten this minor detail. Where the frig is the real one?

That convict-cum-knicker expert is a grade A wanker too.

Finally, if Tina and Tommy aren't friends with Tyrone and Lion-O anymore, why don't they tell them to
whistle for their fucking money? They aren't legally bound to repay it.

Plus points-
Roy, for being Roy. Ken hiring the microfiche reader.

doppelkorn

Ah what?!? I missed Ken hiring a microfiche reader? I bet I missed Steve and Lloyd maneuvering a large carpet down some stairs which resulted in Eileen's window being smashed in.[nb]I almost posted the "too silly to ever be in Corrie" idea of them cranking a hand operated railcar thing[nb]What are they called again?[/nb] down some tracks but that actually happened once[/nb]

Quote from: Morrison Lard on September 04, 2012, 12:54:50 PM
Plus points-
Roy, for being Roy. Ken hiring the microfiche reader.

The dim lad[nb]don't really watch this so not sure of his name - Eileen's son[/nb] exclaiming 'I thought all wine was French' the other night was quite a good line.

Also, that builder bloke.  Why does he always have a pristine, neatly ironed checked shirt on despite the fact that he's supposed to be working on grotty building sites every day?

finnquark

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 04, 2012, 01:04:22 PM
Also, that builder bloke.  Why does he always have a pristine, neatly ironed checked shirt on despite the fact that he's supposed to be working on grotty building sites every day?

I think he's constantly doing Jacamo adverts.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 04, 2012, 01:02:12 PM
Ah what?!? I missed Ken hiring a microfiche reader?
I think it was Friday's or possibly Monday's first episode.

Tracey said that Ken couldn't look after Amy cos he'd hired the microfiche reader for the afternoon.
My palms were moist in anticipation of the next scene and I was frozen in a brief state of euphoric ecstasy.

Then it cut to the fucking undercrackers factory.
Bastards.

Edit: Perhaps they'll do a DVD special of it. I live in hope.

Janie Jones

Agree it's at an all-time low.  I flounced when that Eastenders actress with the immobilised botox face moved into the Rovers with her family but I slunk back for the Carla/Peter/Leanne storyline.  I'm now gripped by the story around Tyrone and the terrifying but brilliant Kirsty who will henceforth be known in our house as Lion-O thanks to ML's post above.

Morrison Lard

Lion-O is a great character, that actress plays the part well.

Do we reckon that Audrey's fella, Nigel Havers character, is gonna turn out to be a wrong un again? Hope so.
Also, what happened to the tranny one from Butterflies who she was seeing?

I'd like to see Terry Ti-rone Duckworth make a comeback, the fella who plays him is a bad actor, but his character is the kind of bastard I enjoy watching.

Brundle-Fly

Bring back Candice! I forgot all about her until I saw a ten year old Corrie Workout DVD in a charity shop yesterday.

jonno

Quote from: Morrison Lard on September 04, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Do we reckon that Audrey's fella, Nigel Havers character, is gonna turn out to be a wrong un again? Hope so.

Hasn't he undergone soap redemption now? Seems that way. Anyway, the word on the street is that he gets run over and killed by a car soon.

doppelkorn

That was the word. They were going to kill him off cos he needed to do panto but now they're just giving him a break. I don't follow the blogs or owt.

Sam

Bah, you Corrie flouncers have the wrong approach. I can sit through all manner of dreck for the furtive joy of a Steve gurn or Norris dither. During the initial Roy vs Mary chess scenes, for example, I watched with silent tears of gladness streaming down my cheeks.

There's little mini plays to be savoured most weeks, of glorious execution. A while ago, when Tracey moved in with Emily, the scenes shot in the interior of her house were sublime.

The perfect episode would be some acutely observed and finely acted drama, like Peter's self-annihilation, intercut, and indeed undercut, with Norris complaining about a jarred sweet delivery. Throw in some Steve emasculation, Dev preposterous over-delivery and a dash of Ken buying Simon Finnegan's Wake for his birthday and you're away..

Brundle-Fly

I have to say, Natalie Gumede who plays Kirsty (Lion-O?) is doing fantastic work on this show. She subtly plays wickedness  in a way Tracy (twiddling her moustache) Barlow can only dream of.   

Madison

Thought that she's been a horrible actress until very recently, when they decided to make the character balls-to-the-wall insania. Its gone from upsetting to brilliant and reminiscent of a few years ago when Charlie was psychologically torturing Shelley in the Rovers til she got agrophobia and he ripped her earrings out. (remember that? Good times.) Also, a hugely pregnant supervillian cackling from her throne of chocolate feels like an original character - has this been done before? How do you take on a monster when the whole world sees her as a fragile ickle sacred vessel? No idea where this is going, which is always good from a soap.

But yeah - the street is definitely suffering from too many Jack the fucking Lads.. They seem to exist solely so the Sun TV mag have some 'page 7 hunks' they can shoot naked but for a strategically placed pint of Newton and Ridley. Do women really want hunks? Don't they just like seeing Chesney and Kurt dicking about?

finnquark

I spent a good hour trawling for Norris on youtube, with this being the finest clip I could find. Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frqXHQEMPo0

Morrison Lard

This one ain't bad either-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzjsONcCXI

Quote from: Maureen Lipman to NorrisYou walk in here, dressed like some sort of punk rocker!

MuteBanana

Quote from: Madison on September 04, 2012, 11:52:44 PM
How do you take on a monster when the whole world sees her as a fragile ickle sacred vessel?

I know she's pregnant, but she's also about 5 inches taller than Tyrone and a fully trained police officer. Chances are she's got a few moves up her sleeve. I always laugh when characters scoff at the idea she could be knocking him around.