Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:19:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street (fresh thread)

Started by Sam, June 18, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

All been a bit bollocks recently - Phelan crap has gone too far and for far too long. Nice bit of dialogue between Norris and Vic Reeves tonight though.

Serge

I stopped watching it years ago - in fact, even my dad, who will watch any old crap, has stopped watching it, and he's been watching it since it bleeding began! He also buys one of those weekly TV listings magazines that isn't the Radio or TV Times, and practically every week the front page has a story about Phelan murdering someone, hitting someone, robbing someone, attacking someone, etc, so even though I don't watch it, I'm sick to death of bloody Phelan as well.

doppelkorn

I should have started again when Vic came on, but I didn't realise it was already being shown.

I stopped when the London Olympics happened. 5 years Corrie sober now...

I should get on the ITV repeats, so I should Lisbeth.

Brundle-Fly

The last time I saw Phelan on Coronation Street he'd been clumped over the head with a block of wood by Gary Windass. Did he survive then?

Gulftastic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 23, 2017, 01:33:33 PM
The last time I saw Phelan on Coronation Street he'd been clumped over the head with a block of wood by Gary Windass. Did he survive then?

Oh, you don't know the fucking half of it. He came back and was part of scam involving half the street. They all lost a lot of money, but it's barely mentioned now. Since then, he's  survived being hit by a car and being smacked over the head with an iron bar with barely a scratch. He's watched as Les Dennis slowly died without lifting a finger to help, then bashed Les's psuedo son with a laptop. Everyone thought he'd killed the 'son' (Andy) and we didn't see him for 6 months or so. Andy turned out to have been chained up in a basement all that time, with Phelan feeding him and presumably washing him and slopping out his shit bucket.
There was an episode where Phelan decided to move Andy to another location. He unchained him and walked him to his builder's van. Andy struggled to walk. He locked Andy in the back. Off they went. Suddenly, a crash!! Andy manages to kick open the back doors (despite being barely able to walk) and, seeing Phelan unconscious on the steering wheel ran off, only to be stalked and caught by Phelan who had set the whole thing up, including presumably learning to stunt drive for the occasion.
Whilst all his schenanigans have gone on, the amount of times he is in the right place at the right time to overhear something that helps him is beyond ridiculous. Even by soap standards. There's plenty of background gurning as he appears.
Recently, the lad playing his apprenctice fell off a ladder and was in a coma. Phelan somehow managed to sneak into his hospital room and using what I assume to be telepathy, whispered to the lad that 'Anna pushed you off the ladder...', which the lad duly repeated upon waking.
They have given a character actual super powers.

Sorry this is long, but I love Corrie and this plot is ruining it for me. It's X-Pac heat for me now. I just want it to fucking end.

Emma Raducanu

Yeh, I thought phelan was a really good villain and well played by whoever it is but the ridiculousness just goes on and on. Only surprised he hasn't found the time to marry Gail or buy the rovers.

You need to forget about current day Corrie and tune in to the classic eighties period being repeated on itv3 every day. It's great, for me an imperial phase (essentially the Corrie of my childhood). Hilda Ogden! Terry and Curly! Percy Sugden! Alan Bradley! Derek Wilton has just turned up! Alec Gilroy as grubby chain-smoking former showbiz agent turned grubby chain-smoking backstreet club owner! Prime Mike Baldwin in factory boss pomp getting it on with Ken's 21 year old daughter! Lots of bits where Bet/Rita/Audrey/Hilda talk wistfully about how shit life is!

Malcy

I didn't think this forum did soap threads.

The Phelan stuff is good. The rest is utter bollocks. Mind you, Vic Reeves put in a stellar performance a couple of weeks ago and the whole scene he was in had h with no dialogue. He stole the whole thing with a look. Priceless.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 23, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
You need to forget about current day Corrie and tune in to the classic eighties period being repeated on itv3 every day. It's great, for me an imperial phase (essentially the Corrie of my childhood). Hilda Ogden! Terry and Curly! Percy Sugden! Alan Bradley! Derek Wilton has just turned up! Alec Gilroy as grubby chain-smoking former showbiz agent turned grubby chain-smoking backstreet club owner! Prime Mike Baldwin in factory boss pomp getting it on with Ken's 21 year old daughter! Lots of bits where Bet/Rita/Audrey/Hilda talk wistfully about how shit life is!

I agree. The old stuff is a joy to rewatch. Great characters and cracking dialogue. None of it is rushed. And murders were few and far between.

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 23, 2017, 08:24:03 PM
I agree. The old stuff is a joy to rewatch. Great characters and cracking dialogue. None of it is rushed. And murders were few and far between.

Totally. There was a scene a few weeks ago done virtually all in voice-over with Hilda going to her husband Stan's grave which was not only far braver than anything they would do now but a million times more affecting.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 23, 2017, 02:55:02 PM
Oh, you don't know the fucking half of it. He came back and was part of scam involving half the street. They all lost a lot of money, but it's barely mentioned now. Since then, he's  survived being hit by a car and being smacked over the head with an iron bar with barely a scratch. He's watched as Les Dennis slowly died without lifting a finger to help, then bashed Les's psuedo son with a laptop. Everyone thought he'd killed the 'son' (Andy) and we didn't see him for 6 months or so. Andy turned out to have been chained up in a basement all that time, with Phelan feeding him and presumably washing him and slopping out his shit bucket.
There was an episode where Phelan decided to move Andy to another location. He unchained him and walked him to his builder's van. Andy struggled to walk. He locked Andy in the back. Off they went. Suddenly, a crash!! Andy manages to kick open the back doors (despite being barely able to walk) and, seeing Phelan unconscious on the steering wheel ran off, only to be stalked and caught by Phelan who had set the whole thing up, including presumably learning to stunt drive for the occasion.
Whilst all his schenanigans have gone on, the amount of times he is in the right place at the right time to overhear something that helps him is beyond ridiculous. Even by soap standards. There's plenty of background gurning as he appears.
Recently, the lad playing his apprenctice fell off a ladder and was in a coma. Phelan somehow managed to sneak into his hospital room and using what I assume to be telepathy, whispered to the lad that 'Anna pushed you off the ladder...', which the lad duly repeated upon waking.
They have given a character actual super powers.

Fuck me! All this because Owen stole Phelan's motorbike three years ago?

Brundle-Fly

Just been wading through this thread again. Christ, I miss the old show it was.

This ep should have been when I signed off. Still has me in bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMy_dUgGKJU

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 22, 2017, 09:24:30 PM
ITV 3 have been showing episodes from the 1980s recently. The quality of characters and dialogue absolutely wipes the floor with today's offering.

That said. The two sexiest lesbians of all time in tonight's episode kissing. 'Things' are looking up

Malcy

Quote from: DolphinFace on December 04, 2017, 10:10:01 PM
That said. The two sexiest lesbians of all time in tonight's episode kissing. 'Things' are looking up

Been the only thing worth watching in it recently.

Malcy

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 05, 2017, 11:43:22 AM
I'll say.

That was the exact image that was in my mind when I replied. Pops up a lot since that scene.Luke should have sent Alya to check the pub while he sneaked a look instead of disturbing them. Mind you I've seen the actress who plays Kate in a leaked video and she ain't so lesbian in that!

Brundle-Fly

Speaking as someone who has worked in catering, that food prep area is remarkably gleaming and spotless even by health and safety standards. Is it a new truck?

Malcy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 05, 2017, 12:34:35 PM
Speaking as someone who has worked in catering, that food prep area is remarkably gleaming and spotless even by health and safety standards. Is it a new truck?

I can honestly say I didn't even noticed the cooker until now...

Brundle-Fly

But I will say,  they're not wearing hair snoods which is a big no-no with the hygiene inspectors. Otherwise 10/10.

Gulftastic

I'm still loving Old Corrie on ITV 3. As well as my usual game of 'spot the titles' in the Kabin video library, today a Robotech model kit was to be seen.

This one:

Also, with regard to the picture of the lesbians, I'n disappointed that I didn't think of the 'Van Dyke' gag at the time.

Malcy

Gulftastic

Tonight's horrendous episodes saw the conclusion of a plot involving one character who'd been pretending to be a Marine Biologist. For years. To his wife. Of years.

Dr Syntax Head

So what's psycho young lad's problem? I've missed some episodes

Gulftastic

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 02, 2018, 08:41:00 PM

He's been messed around a bit in his life, so the writers have decided to turn him into a monster. They'd introduce a gang of toughs for him to hang around with. As with all such things on Corrie, they are laughably bad.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 02, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
He's been messed around a bit in his life, so the writers have decided to turn him into a monster. They'd introduce a gang of toughs for him to hang around with. As with all such things on Corrie, they are laughably bad.

I saw a scene of him getting freaked out about a sex session with his girlfriend and then a long drawn out scene of him crying in pure anguish. I was guessing a Black Mirror style peado angle. They like to do that them soaps.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 02, 2018, 09:36:44 PM
I saw a scene of him getting freaked out about a sex session with his girlfriend and then a long drawn out scene of him crying in pure anguish. I was guessing a Black Mirror style peado angle. They like to do that them soaps.

I think we might be talking about two different characters. I don't remember Simon having a sex session.

Malcy

I can't understand the praise Corrie has been getting recently. The Phelan stuff has been top notch but the rest is laughably bad. Fucking horrendous. Cringe, poorly written outdated cliche dialogue and rehashed and far fetched storylines.

People always say EE is depressing but out of all the soaps it's the least. And Corrie is going to be a depression fest next week with a death.

I'd rather Phelan takes them all hostage in the knicker factory when he reappears and blows them all up. Bar the totty. Especially Sarah, Rosie & Kate. Keep them and give them a post apocalyptic lesbian sex drama set on the remains of the street. Yeah that would redeem it.

jobotic

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 02, 2018, 09:41:06 PM
I think we might be talking about two different characters. I don't remember Simon having a sex session.

Yeah that's David isn't it?

So who's going to die? There's plenty I'd happily see go. It's probably the vicar isn't it? Or David will kill that rapist. Or Phelan will kill everyone then, hopefully, himself. He was good but it should have all finished months ago.

I used to like Sean but he's hardly in it these days.

neardark

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 02, 2018, 08:41:00 PM

Got raped.