Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis at Glasto.

Started by TraceyQ, June 25, 2004, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TraceyQ

I don't quite believe I'm thinking this but they are pretty fucking good.

It's Zac Starkey that's done that, that is. He's really driving the band and Liam has obviously been taking his vocal training very seriously.

Are you joking?

This is fucking dreadful, and Liam is singing out of tune.

If you're a fan of Oasis it's good enough. But this is no different to how they've always been.

TraceyQ

Didnt you think "Bring It On Down" was fantastic? Starkey put so much punk energy into it.

Yes, he is flat though.

Ok, Fantastic band, then.

What have you got a laptopop something-your on the net while watching a gig?? And they wonder why the atmosphere has gone at the football..

mr rou-rou

sounds like Frank Sidebottom doing an impression of Liam, I can just hear someone singing with a headcold.

his throat must wreck afterwards though, its a rough voice he has.

it looks pretty when they pan back to show all the sparkly lights of the site and the stage

come on England

Rooney

etc

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Frank `The Mountain` Hill"What have you got a laptopop something-your on the net while watching a gig?? And they wonder why the atmosphere has gone at the football..

It's on BBC three at the moment.

Neil

Now on BBC2 for us gippos.  I note that Liam Gallagher still hasn't mastered that whole singing-in-different-pitches thing.

fanny splendid

It's all I expected it to be.

Spiritualized coming up...

imitationleather

Oh gawd, this is terrible. I'm quite a bit of an Oasis fan (a guilty pleasure), so it's not just like I'm some disgruntled Damon Albarn lover who wants to take a pop.

Liam's singing is diabolical, nothing more than incoherent growling. They're just going through the motions, aren't they? To be honest, I've not really paid much attention to the drumming because Liam's warbling is all I can hear.

As for the rest of the festival, I've been watching BBC3 and it's all been pretty wank. Loads of boring acoustic bands who nearly became successful in 2000 but now don't even rouse interest in Radio 2 listeners.

It's all about the atmosphere though, innit?

Neil

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Spiritualized coming up...

Ooh smashing, that should be fab.  

Have Oasis really got Ringo's son on drums now?  Oh, dear.

Probably another good opportunity to pimp the festival I'm going to this year:

http://www.northseajazz.nl

Incredible food, great music, legal marijuana, not in a fucking field, not run by a yokel farmer... oh yes, it should be a good weekend.

Neil

Oh fucksake.  "Here's some Spearhead", they finally cut to Michael Franti and co just as they're finishing a song, then straight back to the studio, "Here's more Oasis!"  FUCK OFF.

Still, at least I don't have to see Colin and Edith.  The cunts.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Neil"Oh fucksake.  "Here's some Spearhead", they finally cut to Michael Franti and co just as they're finishing a song, then straight back to the studio, "Here's more Oasis!"  FUCK OFF.

I was just about to say the same.

I think having to watch another oasis song is the push i need to go out and buy a digi-box.

imitationleather

Blummin' eck, I've just finished having an epileptic fit after they showed The Chemical Brothers.

The kids these days love a bit of strobe lighting, don't they?

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"sounds like Frank Sidebottom doing an impression of Liam

Couldn't have put that better myself, spot on.  What makes it worse is the ever-cretinous Colin and Fucking Edith on BBC3 raving on about them as if it's The Who live at Leeds!  "He's such a great frontman!" "They're not afraid to play the hits are they?"  Of course not you stupid dozy bint, they're headlining Glastonbury, they're gonna play Little James are they?!  Duh!  

This Starkey fella's good though, innee?  And 'My Generation' is still ace.

Edit: is that the old hammond player out of Kula Shaker?  I'm bloody sure it is...

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "Neil"Still, at least I don't have to see Colin and Edith.  The cunts.

I hope they burn in hell for eternity, the pair of them.  They were even worse last year when they were wearing matching 'The Thrills' t-shirts.

Twats twats twats twats twats.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"This Starkey fella's good though, innee?

It must come from the mother's side of the family...

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "imitationleather"
It must come from the mother's side of the family...

Who is his mother anyway, is it her out of The Spy Who Loved Me?  She was married to Ringo for a while.

Regular John

The Chemical Bros look like awkward nerds, which is the way it should be!

fanny splendid

They look bloody great, and why can't we have five Arthur Lee songs?

Fantastic!

Fuck me! Goldfrapp! Girls with tails!

El Unicornio, mang

Bah, i'm jealous! I hadn't realised how good music TV in Britain is until I moved here. The normal channels never cover anything musicwise unless it's Pop Idol related, and the music channels just play country, 'R%B' and rap and crap like Blink 182.

Hopefully some of it will get put up on suprnova, although it's not quite the same as spending a sunny weekend lounging about watching Glasto on telly.

I've still got 6 hours worth of the '96 (or was it '95?) one on video when Mark Radcliffe, Jo Whiley, Mark Lamarr presented it and Oasis headlined. It also had a pretty funny segment with Alan Parker Urban Warrior wandering about doing his schtick. It was at the height of the Britpop thing so there's plenty of Sleeper, Shed Seven, Pulp, etc too.

Not sure if there's any kind of 'musical movement' going on right now, this years Glasto lineup just seems like a collection of lots of good bands/artists from the past 40 years plus some new indie stuff like Snow Patrol.

Neil

Great, an interview with Noel, and then more fucking Oasis.  I think I'll just switch over to BB Live.

El Unicornio, mang

the BBC site has sets by

PJ Harvey
Goldfrapp
Elbow
Franz Ferdinand

available to watch here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/glastonbury/watch_listen.shtml

A Passing Turk Slipper

They may play a bit too much of certain groups (last year they kept fucking playing David Gray) but I still quite enjoy the BBC's Glastonbury coverage. I don't know what the general consensus is here but I think despite playing too much Oasis or whatever they do show a lot of great stuff as well. I remember last year them showing the Skatalites doing the Guns of the Navarone and it being great. And I quite like the whole presenting set up as well, especially getting Peel to do it.

yak

I'm really enjoying fabio and grooverider's set at the moment on Radio 1. Opening the set with Drumsound's odyssey seems to be the thing to do presently. I wish I could be there right now but I know in my heart of hearts I'd spend the rest of the weekend either pushing my way to the toilets through countless Franz Ferdinand fans or collapsed in a substanced induced haze. Guess I'll just have to wait for the global gathering on 31st july instead.

fanny splendid

More fucking oasis, and NO Spiritualized.

Bastards.

PJ Parvey was good, though.

TraceyQ

I got bored and went to bed in the end. I'm sorry I started this rubbish-ness of a thread.

(Zac Starkey is ace, though).

BetaKarraTene

So far, the TV coverage has been better than last year at least, mainly because they seem to realise that we actually want to see music rather than some non-descript poet blabbering on about the atmosphere.  There were still some infuriating decisions, like stopping live coverage of the end of Goldfrapps set to switch to Kings Of Leon, and after 2 songs switching back to where they had left off with Goldfrapp.  This happened about 6 times, and then they went back to the studio and talked to some bloke about the shops, and then they went to a pre-recorded set from The Rapture.  Argh.

Obviously I'm not there, so I can't really speak with any authority, but I enjoyed Franz, Goldfrapp and The Bees the most.  The Bees especially, because they had the whole set un-interrupted from the New Band tent on BBC3 via the red button.  I caught a good bit of Spiritualized too and they've got British Sea Power, The Killers and Hope Of The States tonight.

Best clangers of the night were Dick And Dom talking about group sex, and Edith Bowman saying of Zak Starkey on drums with Oasis, "They've even got a Beatles sibling playing with them."  Hmmm.

Despite that, I seem to be warming to her for some reason.  I'm probably going soft(er).  On the other hand, John Peels moany old granddad routine is starting to grate.  At least one helpful constant is that I still want to smack Phil Jupitus around the chops.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"Despite that, I seem to be warming to her for some reason.  I'm probably going soft(er).  On the other hand, John Peels moany old granddad routine is starting to grate.  At least one helpful constant is that I still want to smack Phil Jupitus around the chops.

Nah, John Peel is worth an infinite number of Ediths.  He should be cloned for the sake of future generations.  Can you imagine Colin Fucking Murray doing Peel's job in 2035?

mr rou-rou

Quote from: "fanny splendid"More fucking oasis, and NO Spiritualized.

Bastards.

PJ Parvey was good, though.

I'm just watching it thanks to that watch again weblink,

she's fucking great isn't she, I'm hoping she'll do a few more UK gigs as I've never seen her live,

a spot of pervery, but that skirt and her squatting down antics, in the first song of the set it looks like the cameraman got an eyeful which I hope was broadcast on TV and the big screens around the Pyramid stage, couldn't make it out here at home but I hope it was rock'n'roll muff action :) hahaha

PJ's got no knicks on PJ's got no knicks on