Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis at Glasto.

Started by TraceyQ, June 25, 2004, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Can you imagine Colin Fucking Murray doing Peel's job in 2035?

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if Peel was shunted off upstairs and his late-night slot given to Murray so he can utilise his twin skills of playing records by NME bands beginning with 'The' and saying 'fuck'.

Horrifying thought, though.

Goldentony

is aphex twin playing the saturday? i fucking hope they show some coverage of him

its the only thing im arsed about out of this years glastonbury

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"
Nah, John Peel is worth an infinite number of Ediths.  He should be cloned for the sake of future generations.  Can you imagine Colin Fucking Murray doing Peel's job in 2035?

Oh yes, he's as imperious as ever on the radio and I thank him for introducing me to loads of great music.  I just feel as though he's stuck in 'Grumpy Old Men' mode whenever I see him on the TV.  Although I've no doubt that I'll be like that when I'm 60 and reminiscing about the good old days.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"I just feel as though he's stuck in 'Grumpy Old Men' mode whenever I see him on the TV.  Although I've no doubt that I'll be like that when I'm 60 and reminiscing about the good old days.

That's one of the things I like most about him, he's not jumping up and down raving about how great so-and-so were.  Those two morons (I won't mention their names again) who were presenting Oasis last night haven't got a critical bone in their body - at least Peel is honest.  Jo Whiley is just as bad, the shoeless witch.

Joy Nktonga

Is Yearly at Glasto? I'm sure there was a close-up of him at the start of the Scissor Sisters bit on' telly. They were good (for the 2 tracks they showed) as expected really. Top "costumes" too.

chand

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"
Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"I just feel as though he's stuck in 'Grumpy Old Men' mode whenever I see him on the TV.  Although I've no doubt that I'll be like that when I'm 60 and reminiscing about the good old days.

That's one of the things I like most about him, he's not jumping up and down raving about how great so-and-so were.  Those two morons (I won't mention their names again) who were presenting Oasis last night haven't got a critical bone in their body - at least Peel is honest.  Jo Whiley is just as bad, the shoeless witch.

I like Mark Radcliffe, but it was hilarious last night when he and The Whiley were speculating about whether Liam and Noel were talking to each other, and 5 minutes later Noel Gallagher joined and them and began slagging off media wankers who speculate about whether Liam and Noel are talking to each other.

What did happen to Phill Jupitus, incidentally?

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "chand"What did happen to Phill Jupitus, incidentally?

He came on about 20 minutes late with The Laverne and it seemed that they'd had a few to drink, since they were talking more nonsense than usual.

kidsick5000

Always preferred it when Channel4 started this whole televised glastonbury thing

Dr David V

Oh fucking hell, I've just seen Jamie cunting Cullum do a cover of Radiohead's High and Dry. Burn, heathen.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "kidsick5000"Always preferred it when Channel4 started this whole televised glastonbury thing

Yup. I remember Radcliffe and Riley introducing it from a caravan one year, with whole sets from disparate acts broadcast and people like G Love and Special Sauce doing really good acoustiic sets.

Neil

Woah...those fireworks being launched in time with that bit of Live And Let Die was awesome!  Fucking pain in the arse I have to watch this in black & white.  Wish I could have been there.

Joy Nktonga

The pyrotechincs in a rocking Live and Let Die were great, weren't they. BBC2 have/are given a whole load of time to Macca's set, and I'm enjoying it a lot - a whole load more than all the Oasis stuff from last night. I didn't think I was looking forward to McCartney's stuff but he's really good.

edit to add: And the beard on his man-mountain of a drummer keeps leaking!

Neil

Yeah, the Macca set was awesome, thank fuck they gave it plenty of time after all that Oasis pish last night.  Helter-skelter and Sgt Pepper were brilliant, I was jumping around in a state of high excitement.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Last night was brilliant. I'm so happy they stuck with Macca for so long. The highlight for me was probably Sgt Pepper (it turned into The End as well didn't it), Live and Let Die was class too as well as I Saw Her Standing There and Helter Skelter. What the hell, it was all great. Who's headlining tonight then? They'll have trouble bettering yesterdays show.

Neil

I got a Helter Skelter GuitarPro tab so I'm going to have fun learning that today, looks like a piece of piss.  Here's the show info for 7-8

QuoteTime: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long).
When: Sunday 27th June on BBC 2

Jo Whiley and John Peel take a late Sunday tea on the third day of this year's Glastonbury Festival, with sets from James Brown, Amy Winehouse, and US art rockers Television.

Cor!  I'm listening to the coverage on Radio 1 now, ugh Vernon Kaye was on and now it's that screeching haridan Edith Bowman.  She just said, "Get in, back of the net."  Here's whats on later tonight:

QuoteTime: 23:10 to 02:00 (2 hours and 50 minutes long).
When: Sunday 27th June on BBC 2

Mark Radcliffe, Jo Whiley, John Peel, Lauren Laverne and Phill Jupitus see out this year's festival with sets from Muse, Morrissey, Bonnie Raitt, Delays, Orbital, Supergrass and Ozomatli. They'll also looking back at some of the musical highlights of the weekend.

BetaKarraTene

Ooh.  I thought I was in for a bad night when I turned on the TV and witnessed That Jazz Bloke Whose Name Shall Not Be Uttered followed by Zero 7 (surely Sia should have locked the dressing room door and gone on by herself)  Also, Keane appeared to suffer from muddy sound (no pun intended) but the crowd looked like they were having fun.

Despite that, I really enjoyed last night.  Lots of good bits.  Scissor Sisters were suitably camp, Tim Booth, Starsailor, Hope Of The States did well despite sound problems.  That unsigned band that won the competition sounded darned fine too although I can't remember their name.

For me, the best bits were The Killers playing through a power cut, Basement Jaxx seemingly having all the black singers from South London on stage with them at some point, and Macca giving Oasis a lesson in how to headline.

The most cringeworthy moment was on BBC3 when that irritaiting red-haired bint was talking to Mark Radcliffe.  She started off the chat early on:

Radcliffe:          I saw Starsailor earlier.
Useless Bint:   I find them really dull.
Radcliffe:          Actually, they're my best friends.
Useless Bint:   Er............

Swiftly followed by:

Radcliffe:          Did you see Paul McCartney come in?
Useless Bint:   I don't care about Paul McCartney.
Radcliffe:          I've been hanging around with him and his brother and they're really decent blokes.
Useless Bint:   ..................................

You could see that Radcliffe was getting increasingly irate at having this dopey tart ridicule all his mates, and when she told him that they had to carry on talking for the next 20 minutes untill Zero 7 came on stage, he got visibly flustered that he was missing McCartney for this.  The producers got rid of him shortly after to talk to some fans instead.  It was both awful and brilliant to watch.

Anyway, tonight should be another cracker with The Cure, Supergrass, Delays, Belle And Sebastian, stellastarr*, Television, Morrissey, Muse and Orbital on.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Really looking forward to Supergrass tonight, I hope they play a lot of them and not just Alright a couple of times. Still think they should have made Macca headline tonight though rather than last night, Muse might be a bit of an anti-climax after yesterdays brilliant show.

monkhouse terror

Did they show any British Sea Power or Aphex last night does anyone know? I flicked between the New Bands tent and BBC3 but they only seemed to show Hope Of The States all the time.

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "monkhouse terror"Did they show any British Sea Power or Aphex last night does anyone know? I flicked between the New Bands tent and BBC3 but they only seemed to show Hope Of The States all the time.

I'm surprised you saw a lot of HOTS, because when I was watching, they only played 3 songs from their set the bastards.

British Sea Power should be on about now on the red button, but I think we're out of luck concerning Aphex Twin because they don't appear to have cameras in the dance tent tonight.

fbb bastard

did macca do the frog song then or what?.......what was the finishing song then....spies like us?.......temporary secretary?........or something really avant garde like hey fucking jude na na  na on for fucking ever?.......currently really hate the smug bastard at the moment after finally getting round to reading that uncut interview........complacent  prick

Joy Nktonga

The BBC2 coverage has only been on for 20 mins, but I'm not enjoying it as much as the last 2 nights. I was really looking forward to Morrissey, but they only showed 2 songs, and he didn't seem to be on top form. Bonnie Raitt (sp?), who I've never liked and now Muse, who are headlining tonight so there'll probably be loads from them. I hate Muse. Bollocks. Still, I'll watch through to the end like the last 2 nights, and hope they show some highlights from the day which hopefully I'll enjoy a lot more than sodding Muse.

butnut

What about Wagner? Are they going to play his stuff?

Neil

Shite, i missed Morrissey as I was watching the end of 48 Hours.  The rest of it has been pish so far (Muse for fucksake), but I assume they'll be showing some good highlights from about half past 12 till 2 in the morning.

Joy Nktonga

Morrissey wasn't as strong as I've seen before, and only the 2 tracks; Everyday is Like Sunday, and Irish Blood, English Heart. Hopefully they'll see fit to show some more. The end of the Orbital set was good ("Chime") and they seemed to enjoy their final ever show, as did the crowd. Looked dead pretty too. The lights and visuals that is, not the boys.

Almost Yearly

They came, they pressed Play one more time, they waved, they're gone.

The TV mix showed up McCartney's flat notes didn't it. Copying Oasis again, tsk. ;-)

What's so wrong with Muse? I'm not a big fan, but at least it's a show. Exciting.

Whiley the dappy tart going on and on about her legs.

Still jealous as fuck, mind, rain and all.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"The end of the Orbital set was good ("Chime") and they seemed to enjoy their final ever show, as did the crowd.

"Final ever show" eh? Hmmm...

So, what's T in the Park and the four other gigs they're playing in July? It appears the BBC have been lying again.

Joy Nktonga

Sorry IL, I wasn't aware that there were more shows coming up. Yes, the BBC were "bigging up" the last show ever business, but I've read and heard from severeal other places that this was to be their last live performance too. Just proves the old adage about not believing everything you read and hear I guess.

imitationleather

I'd heard about these other gigs a while ago but all the constant, "That's the last time you'll ever see them on stage" type chatter last night even made me doubt myself. I was thinking they must have cancelled at T in the Park or something because Laverne et al seemed to really be ramming the point home that Orbital were going off-stage and never coming back. But, a quick gander at the official site (http://www.loopz.co.uk) reveals the truth.

It's not like they're even keeping these other gigs a secret! Bloody hell, doesn't the media even try to research anymore?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "fbb bastard"did macca do the frog song then or what?.......what was the finishing song then....spies like us?.......temporary secretary?........or something really avant garde like hey fucking jude na na  na on for fucking ever?.......currently really hate the smug bastard at the moment after finally getting round to reading that uncut interview........complacent  prick

I do hope you're joking Bob. The ridiculous dyslexic nature of your post suggests as much. In which case, good joke, well done.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"Morrissey wasn't as strong as I've seen before, and only the 2 tracks; Everyday is Like Sunday, and Irish Blood, English Heart.

Yah...they also shows "First of the Gang to Die" which sounded ok. "Irish Blood..." was awful though -  the intro guitar didn't sound sharp and echoed instead (I blame that stand-in) and the song was far too slow.

I was also much annoyed at the BBC sound problems which prevented them from showing Television's performance, especially since I'm seeing them this Friday and wanted to see what they sound like now that they're all a lot older