Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis at Glasto.

Started by TraceyQ, June 25, 2004, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetaKarraTene

Bah.  After 2 days of fairly even coverage, they spoilt it a bit yesterday by only showing the whole of the Muse set and select bits from other performances from Sunday and then a compilation bit from the previous 2 days that we'd all ready seen.  I must have seen Everyday Is Like Sunday and Chime about 3 times within an hour.  And there was no coverage of My Morning Jacket, British Sea Power or BRMC.

As for Muse, they always give it everything, but they appeared to be straddling the line between OTT and overblown last night and occassionally fell into the latter, especially with the lenghty jamming and thinking that anyone needed to hear Muscle Museum.  I've seen them play a brilliant hour-long set without any of the theatrics, and they were so much better for it, so God knows why they still carry on with it.

As for what little I saw of the rest, I enjoyed Supegrass, Morrissey and stellastarr* the most.  Ordinary Boys were doing well until Phil Jupitus joined them, and I liked the acoustic songs from Neil Hannon, Razorlight and The Zutons.

A good festival in all.  And we all ready know that U2 are playing next year and that there's no Glastonbury in 2006.

boki

Quote from: "Goldentony"is aphex twin playing the saturday? i fucking hope they show some coverage of him

its the only thing im arsed about out of this years glastonbury

From what I can gather, he didn't bother turning up (again).  Wasn't it just supposed to be a DJ set anyway?  Doubt they'd show any of that even if he could've been arsed.

mayer

not read through this thread yet (bad form i know), just got back home today,

i thought oasis were fantastic, most of my mates (and all of the press it seems) thought otherwise.

"going through the motions" has been said a lot. bollocks. i've seen oasis doing that (LCC in 2002). at glastonbury they were rude, diffident and arrogant, but mesmerising with it i thought.

mayer

OK, read the thread now.... my proper Glastonbury post....

it were grand!

band of the weekend... Love. i saw three-quarters of the set last year... it was nice. this time round i was squealing like a girl and nearly in tears because of how brilliant it was. i told my mate "even though they wont bloody play the best song ever, i'll let them off cos they're so fucking good"... then Arthur Lee tells us we've got one more number..... "A House Is Not A Motel", with a harmonica solo!

like i said up there, i liked Oasis, most others didn't. i caught Hugh Cornwall doing "Peaches" between the two, which was nice.

The Others were better than i've seen them before, Franz were disappointing from a distance though. The Rapture were fucking great mind, though i did get sunburned for the first time in over a decade whilst i was watching them.

Stewart Lee... fucking brilliant! poor fucker had the power cut from one and a half minutes in. carried on till it came back near the end with a torch and megaphone, unfazed and victorious.

The Killers and HOTS were both fantastic, though Sam from the latter was very moody about something or other. Chikinki were rubbish.

Paul McCartney was fab. its been mentioned, but the pyrotechnics in "Live And Let Die" had all those at the Pyramid coming in their pants.

The Zutons were ok, but need some more good songs, Belle and Sebastian have loads of them them coming out of their adorable pores.

Morrissey was being a contrary bastard... playing the full "Hate List" tape.... opening with "Daddy's Voice" a song so new it aint on the LP, slowing down IBEH, and cutting some songs out of the set before "Everyday...." (the set was under-time and he told the band which song to play, yelping "'Subway" [Train]", which segues into "Everyday" , which he never usually does...) he was still really good for the time he was there mind.

Razorlight were dull, Orbital were the perfect way to end the thing... inflatable dalek popping about during "Dr Who Theme", "Satan" and "Chime" getting the whole other stage crowd jiving.

edit: James Brown, was well, James Brown

but as you know, glastonbury aint just about the tunes... it was a really great weekend, and it's a bloody shame that we're at the maximum time period away from another glastonbury now. see you all next year!

imitationleather

Quote from: "mayer"The Others were better than i've seen them before

Once again I get it right and you get it wrong. Shall I preorder you Thee Unstrung's debut single now and save you the bother?

:smug:

fanny splendid

There's this band, doing the festival circuit in a parallel universe. Their name is Oasis, and they're actually quite good.

lazyhour

Quote from: "fanny splendid"There's this band, doing the festival circuit in a parallel universe. Their name is Oasis, and they're actually quite good.

Nah, it's David Devant & His Spirit Wife playing the festival circuit in the parallel universe.  Oasis are playing the Scout huts.

king mob

Quote from: "fanny splendid"There's this band, doing the festival circuit in a parallel universe. Their name is Oasis, and they're actually quite good.

Oasis were truely awful on Friday night but a large number of the crowd treated it like some really bad karaoke band& drowned out the dreadfullness of Liams voice & the apathy of the rest of the bunch of losers on stage.

At one point they would have been the band of the weekend but the songs dont hold up & maybe its time to quietly fade away.

Macca suprised me by being good, i was very reluctant to watch him but being stuck in the mud made it the best choice for the Saturday veiwing but opening with Jet is a bit of a piss take.

Morrissey was upsettingly poor & really didnt want to be there, played a few good songs but felt he was wasting time.

Muse were great, big fuck off noise &  a great live stage show , the best closing act on the Pyramid since Bowie in 2000.

Black Eyed Peas, oh fucks sake, managed to hear about 20 minutes while walking past to get to the tent, utter rubbish.

PJ Harvey, still looking and sounding great.

Goldfrapp, nice & pervy so i suppose they never showed up on the BBC2 coverage so they could fit more Colin & Edith in.

Scissor Sisters, played 2 sets on the Pyramid & in the Dance tent & were the band of the weekend understanding that if people come to a festival they want to enjoy themselves without being bored.

On the whole the bill was bland but enough quality shone through & i wish i'd seen Love, Chicks On Speed & loads more.

MonkeyDrummer

It was my first time at Glastonbury and while I absolutely loved the weekend and had an amazing time, on the whole I found the Glasto-crowd to be quite subdued. But I do have to bear in mind that a rabid-Glasgow Barrowlands
crowd who've payed to see a gig just won't compare with a half-arsed crowd at Glastonbury who are probably all stoned anyway.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "king mob"Goldfrapp, nice & pervy so i suppose they never showed up on the BBC2 coverage so they could fit more Colin & Edith in

Oh no, us home stayers were lucky on that one. We got to see in full tele-visual glory, her and her backing singers prancing around with horse tails.

I can't stop thinking about that...

The full set was on the BBCi watch again service, too.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "king mob"Macca suprised me by being good.
Heheheh. Did the sun come out or go in?

He didn't sound all that good with a TV mix. Sometimes as flat as Liam. Supergrass did though - I doubt the so-called Libertines would have come close to that (ooh, contentious). Franz Ferdinand: oh do shut up, damn hype machine - as Mark Radcliffe rightly said, Television lite.

It's really not right that we get so much of it on telly and radio now, etc, etc.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Franz Ferdinand: oh do shut up, damn hype machine - as Mark Radcliffe rightly said, Television lite.

But I like Franz Ferdinand :-(. Quite Cardiacs-y in places sometimes you know.

TraceyQ

Television lite would be Razorlight, my angel. I have no arguments with The 'Franz, they started a band to "make music girls would dance to" and I'll admit, they did it alright. A fuzzed guitar and a Blondie drumbeat and they're all on the floor.

Almost Yearly

Mm, my main point was "oh do shut up, hype machine" - their rendition of Take Me Out was scattergunned all over the meeja. Would've been far better to actually be there and only see/hear it the once. It was a good single, yes, thanks, I get it.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Television lite would be Razorlight, my angel.
Don't know. Sadly, they seemed to have missed Penzance off their touring schedule.

imitationleather

Lucky you. I went to see Razorlight live a while ago and I've never been the same since.

Part of me died on that night. I don't know if it was the songs' completely and utter blandless, the fact that they all looked like a load of public schoolboys who were trying to go for the "rock and roll" look or that I could see in a few months time everyone was going to be talking about them as the new saviours of rock music. Whatever it was, part of me went away and it's never coming back.

(I really don't like Razorlight, by the way.)

TraceyQ

Ah, they're harmless. They just seem to be doing it 'cos they can, though.  

You're beautiful.

TTT

Has anyone found any downloads of any of the glastonbury tv/radio coverage? I was there so couldnt tape it myself.

I've found these ones so far

Morrissey Set MPEGS

.[XviD.MP3]-avi.torrent]Supergrass Set Xvid

Muse Set DVD

Oasis Set DVD

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "mayer"
The Killers and HOTS were both fantastic, though Sam from the latter was very moody about something or other.
They said that they weren't given the chance to do a sound check and they had loads of problems with the moniters, especially at the end when they couldn't hear anything.  Also, I've seen them live a few times and he does get a bit temperamental

Quote from: "everyone"Mass hate of Razorlight
I'll just sit in the corner by myself then...

Dr David V

There's Goldfrapp and PJ Harvey stuff here.

king mob

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Quote from: "king mob"Macca suprised me by being good.
Heheheh. Did the sun come out or go in?

He didn't sound all that good with a TV mix. Sometimes as flat as Liam. Supergrass did though - I doubt the so-called Libertines would have come close to that (ooh, contentious). Franz Ferdinand: oh do shut up, damn hype machine - as Mark Radcliffe rightly said, Television lite.

It's really not right that we get so much of it on telly and radio now, etc, etc.

The sun went away & the rain came down in sheets, damn that Beatle.

Supergrass were a welcome suprise instead of the overhyped Libertines who would have just blown it on the Pyramid stage.

What bothers me is not that they show too much of it but they only seem to show the main stages & have munters like Colin & Edith to spout shite about the multiple other stages.

hencole

Supergrass played such a tight set. They're aacoustic numbers were amazing. Anyone know of Orbital downloads as that was the musical highlight as far as I'm concerned.

hencole

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"It was my first time at Glastonbury and while I absolutely loved the weekend and had an amazing time, on the whole I found the Glasto-crowd to be quite subdued.

Totally agree particluarly at the pyrimid stage. For both Supergrass and James Brown I was the ONLY person  dancing as far as I could see. Bunch of miserable fuckers most of them. Standing there trying not to get there feet muddy.

falafel

Must agree, it was most subdued out there. Felt a little self conscious dancing in a crowd of gawping, standing people, I tell you.

Orbital was the absolute zenith of the festival for me, a truly astonishing set that surpassed all expectations. And, as I have said before, Belle and Sebastian were lovely.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "hencole"Supergrass played such a tight set. They're aacoustic numbers were amazing. Anyone know of Orbital downloads as that was the musical highlight as far as I'm concerned.

http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2047/orbital.doctor.who.theme.live.at.glastonbury.27062004.[fellip_nectar].[XviD.MP3]-avi.torrent

Orbital doing the Dr Who theme (torrent)

king mob

Quote from: "hencole"
Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"It was my first time at Glastonbury and while I absolutely loved the weekend and had an amazing time, on the whole I found the Glasto-crowd to be quite subdued.

Totally agree particluarly at the pyrimid stage. For both Supergrass and James Brown I was the ONLY person  dancing as far as I could see. Bunch of miserable fuckers most of them. Standing there trying not to get there feet muddy.

There were a large group of people who didnt have a clue what having fun was about, standing there being appreciative is just so boring...

You might like this pic of Macca's set.

Oooooohhhh, purty.

hencole

Saw that on the glasto forums. Picture of the festival if you ask me.

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "hencole"..... Picture of the festival if you ask me.

Yeah.... I couldn't tell at first but then I noticed the pyramid stage and realized it must be.

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "sore bottom mum"

Yeah.... I couldn't tell at first but then I noticed the pyramid stage and realized it must be.

Fuck me, I got all emotional looking at that. Must be on the final hours of my comedown now, surely.  Pity it's the wrong shape for a wallpaper

TraceyQ

So they blew the Beatle up at the end then, yeah?

king mob

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"
Quote from: "sore bottom mum"

Fuck me, I got all emotional looking at that. Must be on the final hours of my comedown now, surely.  Pity it's the wrong shape for a wallpaper

Theres a load of pics being turned into wallpapers, i'll post the link when they're ready.