Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:07:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Microsoft Surface

Started by Jamie Oliver is fat, June 19, 2012, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Oliver is fat

Windows on a tablet with a full multi-touch interface, USB support, not restricted to an app store, Windows enterprise network compatible, obligatory iPad-esque screen protector doubles up as a keyboard

On to a winner I think

Blumf

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 12:15:28 PM
Windows enterprise network compatible

I thought they weren't doing Active Directory on these things.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Blumf

Ah, not RT, in that case, yep I think it'll work for them.

KLG-7A

But because it's Microsoft no fucker will buy it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on June 19, 2012, 01:02:35 PM

Hopefully a decent competitor will give Apple a kick up the arrogant, proprietary arse socket, and back and forth they'll fight until all the stupid limitations on how we use their devices are but a hazy memory.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 19, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

Are you 12?

Quote from: Blumf on June 19, 2012, 01:02:35 PM

It runs Windows 8 Pro and RT, two different versions with slightly different hardware specs

Replies From View

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 01:26:35 PM
Are you 12?

I suspect that a person would need to be a minimum of 18 years old to appreciating the market dominance of anyone other than Apple.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Your post makes a whole load of assumptions about the thought that went into that post

Blumf

It runs Windows 8 Pro and RT, two different versions with slightly different hardware specs

Slightly? The RT version runs ARM, the Pro runs x86.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface_%28tablet%29

I'm going to put my neck out and say it'll be a success, mainly for the corp. IT integration, probably not so much for the consumer market.

Still don't think it's worth buggering up the desktop for though.

Jamie Oliver is fat

The schyzophrenic desktop is a disaster, and Paul Thurrott wrote an article saying, basically, enterprises should ignore Windows 8 for desktops. I can't see us loading it on a single desktop outside of IT tinkerers/testers

Having said that, a lot of our execs are buying fucking ipads, so it will be very easy for us to force them down the Microsoft Surface route now for those so we can stick AV and enforce corporate standards and join it to the domain

But I like the Metro UI for consumer-end as well, and lets face it, that's where MS are pitching this and targeting this UI change

I think the keyboard is a decent initial differnetiator with the iPad.

Plus, you can actually use all your USB cameras, phones, printers whatever with this device

I cannot personally fathom why anyone would want an iPad over a laptop or netbook for anything other than vanity reasons, but this could change my mind

jutl

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 12:15:28 PM
not restricted to an app store

I'm pretty sure that the ARM RT (iPad competitor) version is tied to Windows Store.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 01:57:58 PM
I cannot personally fathom why anyone would want an iPad over a laptop or netbook for anything other than vanity reasons, but this could change my mind

Decent portable PDF reader when running something like Adobe Reader.  Nothing else I've experienced comes close.  The kindle is great for amazon purchased ebooks, but less good, and often awful, for PDFs.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Replies From View on June 19, 2012, 02:26:07 PM
Decent portable PDF reader when running something like Adobe Reader.

500 quid PDF reader????

madhair60

I like it; I think it's good.

Slaaaaabs

Disappointed that it wasn't Courier back from the dead, but it certainly looks like a very nice piece of kit. At 10 inches and 1080p it could well replicate the intended Courier experience nicely.

The success of the Windows RT version is the one that is in the balance though, hopefully they've got a shitload of Metro app developers working away on tablet oriented apps.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 02:52:50 PM
500 quid PDF reader????

Cheaper than even a tiny percentage of the physical books and journals I've paid for in the last five years alone.  And I have PDFs outnumbering those many times over that I've obtained for free.

And if it's crucial for your line of work and/or lifestyle that you read so many books or journals, what's the problem?  People pay a lot more on cars with much the same justification.

Still Not George

I swear, if I have to read one more dipshit using the phrase "new paradigm" today I am going to embark on an Internet killing spree.

Replies From View

An extermination spree, one might say.

mobias

It's strange for them to angle it kind of halfway between a tablet and a laptop. If you're worried about the lack of function of a tablet you'll just buy a laptop and if you want the portability of a tablet you'll just buy a tablet. I don't really know where the Surface is supposed to fit into that equation. I suspect if they're being honest neither do Microsoft. There was an interning opinion piece in the Guardian saying that because MS are so worried about treading on the toes of their numerous hardware partners whatever hardware they do bring out besides the Xbox tends to be completely half baked and not really sure of where it's supposed to fit into the grand scheme of things.

Replies From View

It's possible to buy all sorts of keyboard cases for the iPad, and they do seem to be a popular accessory.  As long as they don't bulk out the package too much I can kind of understand it, since something is needed to protect the screen.

The winner will always be the one that swivels at the hinge, so you don't have to always have the keys facing outwards when you fold the keyboard back to access the screen.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: mobias on June 19, 2012, 03:58:24 PM
It's strange for them to angle it kind of halfway between a tablet and a laptop. If you're worried about the lack of function of a tablet you'll just buy a laptop and if you want the portability of a tablet you'll just buy a tablet.

I disagree, there are a couple of things I can see a tablet being better for for me, browsing on the sofa for instance, but I can't justify buying a tablet just for that when I need more of the laptop functionality. But this enables me to buy a vanity tablet for the front room, whilst being able to do laptop stuff with it's keyboard and being able to get full Windows functionality into the bargain.

I think they've got a winner on their hands, but time will tell. For me, it exceeds an iPad's functionality by so far that I would be insane to buy one over the Surface.

But I'm only one set of requirements obviously

VegaLA

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 19, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

Shame too because me and a couple of Ex Apple diehards were looking at the Nokia Lumia 900 for the first time the other week and we all loved it. Trying to get in touch with relatives in Manila to see how much one would cost (unlocked out of the box) to buy there to send over.

I hope the tablet is a success, but the fanfair yesterday left a lot of questions, two being price and release date. 

jutl

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 19, 2012, 04:35:12 PM
For me, it exceeds an iPad's functionality by so far that I would be insane to buy one over the Surface.

But I'm only one set of requirements obviously

There's some blurring going on here though. The Pro Surface is certainly far more functional than an iPad, but it's also going to be priced like an Ultrabook, so probably £900-1200. The ARM RT Surface is going to be very similar in functionality to an iPad, and around the same price, but probably with a much smaller developer community for the foreseeable future.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Ok I hadn't considered that aspect

Will all hang on price for me then, taking that into account

I'm not interested in the ARM version

KLG-7A

Are you 12?
You got me there, that's what the 12 year olds are into these days. You can't walk past a playground without hearing some little upstart talking about demographics and brand loyalty.

mcbpete

You clearly didn't encounter any of the Speccy Vs C64 playground wars !

mobias

From reading a bit more about it MS don't seem to be even aiming it at the consumer market. Looks like its more for business and professional use. Why those people will need it over a laptop I do not know but it sounds like MS are making specific versions of the likes of Office and Excel specially for it. 

Pseudopath

I'm no supporter of the Microsoft corporate hegemony, but anything that helps IT departments steer their companies away from the sheer lunacy of BYOD gets a thumbs up from me.

Nerd joke of the day: I'd rather have BSOD than BYOD!

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 19, 2012, 05:57:46 PM
You got me there, that's what the 12 year olds are into these days. You can't walk past a playground without hearing some little upstart talking about demographics and brand loyalty.

I think you might be over-selling your original post somewhat