Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monsters University (Coming in 2013! Monsters Inc. prequel, bitches!)

Started by alan nagsworth, June 20, 2012, 04:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vRbhvt89NM

Trailer was officially released today!

One of my favourite animated films, easily my top Pixar flick, gets the 'before they were scary' treatment and, even though I swore to myself it was a perfect single film that didn't need to suffer the same fate as Cars (which in itself was pretty dull, I thought), I still find myself giddy as a school girl over the thought of this.

The trailer in itself is nothing overly exciting but it doesn't really need to be, does it? The humour is in the same vein, I thought it was very funny, and... well, there's not a lot more I can say, really!

I wonder if Randall will feature in this at all?

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

I wasn't won over by the idea initially but the trailer made me smile a lot, and bar Cars I'm a huge Pixar fan so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Can't say Monsters, Inc is my favourite Pixar though, I'd rate Up and The Incredibles above it. The latter of which I'd love to see a sequel of.

BritishHobo

Really loved the original movie, and the trailer makes this look like a lot of fun. Pixar are getting a lot of negativity lately over Cars 2, and Brave isn't getting great reviews, but I'm still very excited for this.

Fagottron to play me out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ULoLs6Cg

Mister Six

Thoroughly looking forward to it. Like every other adult in the land I thought Cars was rubbish, but it's pretty much a licence to print money, and if it funds more Wall-Es and Ups, I'm all for more sequels.

CaledonianGonzo

Just disappointed that Brave looks so generic.

Who'd a thunk a few years back that Pixar would unleash two clunkers in a row.

(Though *some* of the reviews are pretty positive and I will reserve judgment until I've seen it).

idunnosomename

Well actually I don't really like that trailer... Very generic American "college is crazy" jokes. What makes the Homer goes to College episode so funny is that Homer is presented as an antithesis to "real" college.  I'm surprised they're taking the Animal House route because really what is college without reference to alcohol?

Okay I'm sure there'll be more to it but to be miserable again, sequels grumble grumble.

I was going to say Disney didn't make a sequel to Snow White but when you look at it I suppose Cinderella was a back-to-basics fairy tale after the more obscure adaptions of Pinnochio, Bambi and Dumbo and the war-time partworks so fair enough.
But the only sequel I think Pixar ought to make has little to no chance of being a reality. The Incredibles 2 I admit has tremendous potential. The world wasn't threatened in the first one, only a city, so you can raise the stakes, there is plenty more you can do with character development and building on the themes about society, so many new characters you could introduce...
Monsters Inc. I love but it kind of stands alone and I hope this doesn't spoil it. A sequel certainly would after the lovely ending.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2012, 08:11:46 AM
Monsters Inc. I love but it kind of stands alone and I hope this doesn't spoil it. A sequel certainly would after the lovely ending.

I agree that as a standalone film it's excellent, but I'm still willing to give this the time of day, for sure.

As for the lovely ending being ruined, this film is a prequel, isn't it? If it's shit, it wouldn't tarnish the ending of Monsters Inc. any more than it would the film in its entirety.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 20, 2012, 05:17:46 PM
Can't say Monsters, Inc is my favourite Pixar though, I'd rate Up and The Incredibles above it. The latter of which I'd love to see a sequel of.

I know we're all different 'n' all, but...  I didn't enjoy The Incredibles at all, and Up had an amazing first twenty minutes then went rapidly off the boil (just like Wall-E).

Monsters Inc. is probably my favourite Pixar film, though Finding Nemo comes close. 

Seems wrong to make a prequel, though.  Can't they just leave it as a one off?  Does everything have to be cynically turned into a franchise?

CaledonianGonzo

There's definitely a strong case for Toy Stories 2 and 3 bettering the first movie, though.

Replies From View

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 02, 2012, 07:10:07 PM
There's definitely a strong case for Toy Stories 2 and 3 bettering the first movie, though.

Interesting that.  When Toy Story 2 came out, I definitely didn't think so.  I felt that with the expansion of the world some of the other nuances were lost.  I don't know whether I'd agree with that now, though.

Before I saw it I was sceptical as to whether Toy Story 3 was necessary, but was pleasantly surprised.  It closes the story of the characters in a way that's quite brave when so many other films keep planting further seeds for endless franchise expansion.

CaledonianGonzo

While I agree they probably shouldn't make another movie, if they keep knocking out excellent Toy Story shorts like the hilarious Small Fry I won't be complaining too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0eWc6wmv0