Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY."

Started by Nik Drou, June 20, 2012, 08:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik Drou

It looks like Paul Verhoeven is finally going forward with his Jesus movie. He's been on about it for years in interviews and even wrote a book from all the research he's done. It'll differ from the majority of biblical epics by being totally God-free and (supposedly) historically accurate. Also, this being Paul Verhoeven, it'll have plenty of sex and violence. And boobs.

I'm a bit sceptical about some of his ideas, from what I've read. I'm personally not very convinced Jesus would have been that big of a deal to the Romans, or that his teachings were really all that revolutionary. Nevertheless, it's his first film since the splendid Black Book in 2006. It'll also make a nice antidote to the upcoming return of the Hollywood 'bible epic', with the likes of Spielberg and Aronofsky planning big-budget reverent adaptations of Old Testament myths.

Anyone else a Verhoeven fan? He's one of my favourites. Robocop really is an obscenely entertaining movie, plus even his misses (Hollow Man, Showgirls) are still kind of great.

(By the way, I can't take the credit for the thread title. I got it from the AICN comments page.)

Santa's Boyfriend

When he's in full on satire mode he's unsurpassed.  Robocop and Starship Troopers are, in my opinion, masterpieces of their form, deeply subversive but at the same time so close to their targets that they're accessible for people who don't realise they're satires.

I've always thought he was the perfect director for Judge Dredd.  That's what Robocop was really, of course.

Blumf

Quote from: Nik Drou on June 20, 2012, 08:28:28 PM
plus even his misses (..., Showgirls)

I wouldn't call Showgirls a miss, I think it's dead on target, although maybe not to everybodies taste. (Hollow Man however, meh)

SteveDave

Doesn't he go on about Robocop being about Jesus in the commentary for said film?

For commentary fans I would recommend the one he does with Arnold Schwarzenegger for Total Recall. AS just describes everything that's happening on screen & then does a big laugh.

Feralkid

SteveDave.  Yep, Verhoeven talks about Jesus on the Robocop commentary.  Robo appears to walk on water as he stomps across the large puddle outside the abandoned steel mill which Verhoeven uses as his cue to call him "an american Chese-us.  A Cheese-us with a gun!"

Oh how I adore that demented Nederlander.     

Noodle Lizard

The pool sex scene[nb]Could easily be misremembered as a shark attack scene[/nb] in Showgirls is one of my all-time favourite cinematic moments.

If he can do anything like that with Jesus, I'll be a happy camper.