Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LCD Soundsystem, DFA and all that jazz...

Started by The Boston Crab, February 09, 2004, 01:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So...I'm no Whoxton Whore, but I absolutely love these guys' shit.

Anybody else into them or any other DFA stuff?

You must have heard 'Losing My Edge' and if not, why not? and make sure you get hold of a copy because it's the best track of last year bar none. The most original thing I've heard since, ooh, Da Funk!

Amazing production, starts out like a little electro-y number, tinny drums and little snyth bass with a voiceover about 'cool' music etc. and some guy lamenting the fact that he is 'losing (his) edge0 before the 'BUT I WAS THERE!' and then it kicks off massively into some awesome drums and bastard bass. Ok, old ground, but...

anybody heard the new single 'Yeah'? Another superb track, try the stupid mix, it's the best. Agin, awesome drums as it just builds and builds into a killer synth line twisting and going off in parts of your head that most music doesn't reach these days.

also, i'm in love with The Juan Maclean, I can heartily recommend 'By The Time I get To Venus' dead funky electro, pure dancefloor action but with such quality production and detail that you can listen to it over and over and not get bored.

Please don't make me feel like a style wanker and admit that you love them too, even though they are too cool for any school you could name.

Apesod

I agree with everything you just said. That jaun Maclean song is fooking nice, I cant find it on vinyl anywhere though. LCD Soundsystem, not really heard much of their stuff, but I did buy Losing My Edge - I love the bit that goes "Bwwwwwwaung". There's a load of stuff I've been looking for but no bastard place stocks em on vinyl. Stuff like Metro Area and Black Strobe who are funking amazing, their song Me And Madonna is superb. Think Im heading down the elctroy-technoy path in my music purchases these days. When I bought turntables a few months ago I wasn't sure what kind of music I'd focus on, but if its got synths and bleeps in it I like it...generally. Anyway, yeah nice!

Black Strobe are playing at Chibuku Shake Shake in Liverpool on the 21st Feb, alongside Etienne de Crecy of Super Discount fame. It's going to be incredible.

Some suggestions for you:

Seelenluft - Manila (Ewan Pearson mix)
Freeform Five - Eeeeeaaaoooww! (or something like that)

super duper electro-house rockers

splattermac

Perhaps try the Channel 1 & 2 compilations from Output Recordings and Kitsune's Midnight has the freeform five track you are on about, it's not that good. If you like a clatter try mu 'afro finger and gel' it's sort of tribal punk dance sung by a deranged Japanese woman called mu, it's not brilliant but its interesting.

Jockeyslut is a good mag for stuff like this, they like a bit of sleaze, bit of punk dance hybrid, electronica/folktronica - they have been picking some beauties recently, my ears are whores for their recommendations at the moment,

and fuck me if that Liverpool gig doesn't sound ace.

mwude

Well go along to it then, splats.  All the cool kids are going (i.e. me & the crab).

Also - Juan McClean on 12" if you're interested in stumping up £10.92 for the privilege, apesod.

splattermac

for some reason scouseland on a Saturday doesn't appeal, I'm thinking Yates Winelodge in street form,

what's the venue like, is it a dive or full of glamourpusses?

Gomma who did Teutonik Disaster (avoid volume 2) have another interesting compilation knocking about, Gommagang vol 2

http://www.gomma.de/ < rubbish, much better linkage with samples http://www.soulseduction.com/common/item_detail.php?ItemID=128967

it might appeal to some

boss venue, 3 rooms and loads of walkin bits if you like that kind of thing. the theatre, main room, is super duper, slopes down to the dj booth. top sound quality. nice crowd, even though it gets a bit busy for my liking sometimes. but great atmosphere anyway. buy a ticket in advance, it will be impossible to get in otherwise.

Apesod

I just negotiated time off work for Pressure at the Arches dans le Glasgow. Jacques Lu Cont is going to be djing at it  - if I was a girl Id be in love with him.

That Freeform five song's good I bought it quite a while ago on Jokeysluts reccomendation, I keep buying bleepy stuff its great.  Some other good uns:

Peng by Dondaloo
Ghostrack by Tiefschwarz
Luke Slaters new one
What was her name? Dave Clarke

mr rou-rou

I bet our recent playlists are very similar then, a lot of old tat

here's the Tiefschwarz track, bleepy funky thing that it is if anyone fancies a listen ghost track - rightclicksavetargetas

if you like your bleeps and squelchy synths (veering from arcade music to twiddly electrojazz), have you heard Elektrofant? I think I just like their pixel elephant, once I grow bored of its iconic appeal I will dump them for a new flavour of the minute.

http://www.beatservice.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=28071

Jacque le Cont is gay, I'm sure you know, so you might be able to love him and be loved back.
Did you like his stuff as Les Rythmes Digitales?

Have you had a listen to French label Kitsune's compilation Midnight?

Apesod

Hello

I'm really bad at keeping up with discussions on this sight eh? Darkdancer by LRD is one of my fav albums ever I reckon, his first album ain't as good - a lot more technoy but its still alright (song from it used in Jam if I recall correctly). I recently bought his new band's album they're called Zoot Woman, but you probably already know that. I have been buying quite alot of compilations over the last few months but I haven't heard the Kitsune one, I take it it's good? You should try and get a listen to Serie Noir 2 by the Glimmer Twins, takes a few listens but I think you'd like it, also the new Rephlex one - super. Have you heard of a group called Wagon Christ think its Luke Viberts doing not sure, I bought their album, pretty much on the basis of the pretty album cover but it paid off cos their real good.