Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jimmy Carr and his tax buggery on 8 Out Of 10 Cats

Started by Neil, June 22, 2012, 03:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I figure a separate thread might be needed/useful for a live comentary on Friday night.  The original thread on Jimmy Carr's greedy tax bullshit is over here.

Is this going to be any good, or is it going to be a load of soft digs that are aimed at making Carr look like he can humbly actually take jokes at his own expense?  This one has been reported on Twitter, and as it's by the funny one on that show, I'm not too hopeful:

Quote from: Sean LockWe all put a bit of money away for a rainy day... but I think you're more prepared than Noah

RickyGerbail

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2012, 03:10:56 AM
Carr look like he can humbly actually take jokes at his own expense? 

if there are any jokes about it will be of this kind. i don't think your thirst for blood will be satisfied even in the slightest.

gabrielconroy

There's nothing anarchic about this show at all, and the only personal tensions I picked up on whenever I've seen it have between Sean Lock and Jon Richardson.

There seems to be some slightly awful shifty joke going on between them all that the whole thing is a bit shit, and isn't everyone idiots for watching it, god aren't panel shows awful, but we're getting paid for it, haha.

Neil

Yeah, I never, ever watch this programme - even thought Sean Lock's on it - but I'll dutifully tune in this week, like a tit-head, and then curse the amount of useless, unchallenging soft-balls they lightly toss at Jimmy Carr's rich, unethical face.

Jemble Fred

I said in the other thread, it's just not that kind of show, it's not HIGNFY and Zeppotron is no Hat Trick. There's no Jimmy Mulville behind the scenes worrying about satirical standards.

gatchamandave

Well, how many other "friends and colleagues" of Jimmy Carr will have being doing the same. Most folks who find an effective tax-dodge like to tell their mates, so the likes of Sean Lock or, say, David Mitchell may have reason to tread lightly, lest he snap.

Dead kate moss

It ASKS what people have been talking about most this week. And its him. They have to mention it.

If I was him I'd do some damage limitation, saying sorry not being nearly enough, and say I was going to pay back like a million over five years or something. And blame a naughty dog.

Famous Mortimer

They'll have the mildest of digs at him and then will lay into Cameron and his dad. For a comedian, it's a sin roughly on a par with killing a nun to criticise another comedian, or at least a comedian who has his own TV show.

Dead kate moss

Tell that to Angus Deayton. And he just had some kinky sex, not avoided millions in tax, effectively killing hundreds of tiny babies who needed that money for essential hospital equipment.

doppelkorn

As many people have said, I can't imagine he's the only big-name comedian/celebrity doing this kind of thing so I reckon he'll get an easy ride because he's basically fallen on his sword and not grassed them all up.

Dead kate moss

Like he was really going to grass up others who have done the same thing? That'd look good...

RickyGerbail

he tweeted a picture of going to some cancer charity. great job JIMMY!

Entropy Balsmalch

Is it actually a topical one this week? Don't they have a weird filming regime of one week on one week off? Hence why some episodes are about topics rather than the topical?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on June 22, 2012, 10:22:17 AM
Is it actually a topical one this week? Don't they have a weird filming regime of one week on one week off? Hence why some episodes are about topics rather than the topical?

Well there's already been set reports on last night's filming.

Entropy Balsmalch

HappyTree

After seeing a photo of his £15 million mansion in north London, I feel sorry for the guy. It looks so dreary and unimaginative.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on June 22, 2012, 10:31:04 AM
Ah!

That's a yes then.

Cheers

It was news to me that the series was even on at this time of year, I thought they wrapped up several weeks ago. But Channel 4 just seem to use the show as schedule filler, cheap and forgettable, ephemeral bubblegum with the word 'fuck' thrown in every five minutes.

Still, I bet Sean Lock's got a lovely conservatory out of it.

I see Louie Spence is going to be on. That's probably to Carr's benefit: Spence won't allow someone else's minor scandal to steal attention away from himself and his vitally important homosexual dancing.

biggytitbo

That Merton evisceration of Deayton was quite brutal (excessively so in my opinion), I can't imagine this been anything like that.

Comedically I think it'd be quite hard to sustain an attack based on someone's personal finances without sounding like an arsehole, so were likely to get a few lightweight gags then move on.

lankyguy95

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 22, 2012, 06:48:27 PM

Comedically I think it'd be quite hard to sustain an attack based on someone's personal finances without sounding like an arsehole, so were likely to get a few lightweight gags then move on.
Pretty much. They'll take the piss out of him but it probably won't be too bad.

Dead kate moss

I'm guessing, but I reckon it'll be more than a few lightweight gags. The mood of the country may be that there are worse avoiders than Carr, but he needs to 'grovel' a bit more, and I bet he will take quite a lot of flak. Tax dodging has plenty of comedy potential. We'll see (and audience figures will probably be pretty big, handily for some).

mr grole

Quote from: Dead kate moss on June 22, 2012, 07:38:19 PM
I'm guessing, but I reckon it'll be more than a few lightweight gags. The mood of the country may be that there are worse avoiders than Carr, but he needs to 'grovel' a bit more, and I bet he will take quite a lot of flak. Tax dodging has plenty of comedy potential. We'll see (and audience figures will probably be pretty big, handily for some).

I hope so, but sadly, I really doubt it.

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 22, 2012, 06:48:27 PM
That Merton evisceration of Deayton was quite brutal (excessively so in my opinion), I can't imagine this been anything like that.

Paul Merton disliked Angus Deayton and said so in interviews after Deayton had left the show. No doubt this had more to do with the severity of Merton's attack than the scandal itself. In this case, there's clearly no such antipathy towards Carr from either of the team captains. Another difference is that there isn't a sense of there being much at stake here - no one is really saying that Carr could lose his job on the show over this (although I can imagine him not returning for 10 o' Clock Live).

Dead kate moss

On the other hand, if they let him off too lightly they run the risk of viewers thinking he got an easy ride off his mates. Give him a load of stick and people will think fair enough, they got him good, maybe even engender a little sympathy for the still reasonably likeable tax-avoiding millionaire satirist hypocrite. Best for Jimmy if they give him quite a hard time I reckon.

Neil

Here we go. First time I've watched this in yeeears.

guyree

just weighing in with  a long-held dislike of this show - it has never worked as a format or as anything for me.
Quite like the people in it, sometimes, in other things.
Too shouty  and stupid.

biggytitbo

I hope he doesnt make the whole thing about him, in a self indulgent way.

Did anyone else notice that Channel 4 showed 'Bart The Fink', the Simpsons episode where Krusty gets done for tax 'avoision' today?

Classic.

biggytitbo

He looks genuinely fucking uncomfortable, which is a bonus.

Subtle Mocking

This show is still a pile of arse except for Lock.