Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] Guitar songs you enjoy playing

Started by Neil, June 26, 2004, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Let's start this thread again then, I need some new stuff to play, I've been playing a lot of 12-bar Blues lately so would like to learn more in that vein (especially as I'm getting a slide and harmonica for my birthday!).  Any suggestions?  Links to tabs that you've used yourself appreciated.

Frinky

I tried to do one just now, but the "code" feature doesn't work like it used to?

Gagh, I'll do it tomorrow.

Test?

1-1-1
1-1-1

Neil

Use the <pre></pre> HTML tags instead Frinky, I think that will work.

Also looking for suggestions of nice stuff to play on acoustic guitar, I'm more into strumming stuff than endless fret-wankery.  And y'know, whatever it is you people enjoy playing in general.

Frinky

I give you: Non-Wanky Zeppelin! This is an internet TAB that I've modified to be a bit more correct, or so as I hear it, at any rate.

The song: Out On The Tiles. No solo, a couple of cool riffs and funny timing which is great for getting your grove onto. If you've got a single-coil guitar, like a Strat or Tele, use the middle position, if you're using a Les Paul or somesuch, use the neck pickup only for this. The intro riff is fantastic, for the very first bit, mute the A string, just strum up and down very fast but quite lightly. That particualr chord pattern was all over the album this song came from - here for the intro, on Since I've Been Loving You as the chorus, and Immigrant Song as, well, the whole song. Naughty Jimmy!

Like I say, dead easy to play, but a lot of fun, and people like to hear it. The F sharp/E change at the end of the chorus is really rather enjoyable, I'm not sure why, but there you go.

Intro
E|---------------|----------------|
B|---------------|----------------|
G|---------------|----------------|
D|333333332222222|7---7---7-------|
A|---------------|7---7---7-------|
E|333333332222222|5-5-5-5-5-5-----|

Verse   (Repeat this line 2x)  ---Play the whole Verse two times---
E|----------------|----------------|
B|----------------|----------------|
G|----------------|----------------|
D|---4-----------1|212121----------|
A|-04-------------|------4020202320|
E|2---------------|----------------|

And the third time....

2/4 time 7/8 time
E|----------------|----------------|--------|--------------|
B|----------------|----------------|--------|--------------|
G|----------------|----------------|--------|--------------|
D|---4-----------1|212121----------|--------|--------------|
A|-04-------------|------424242420-|--------|4--2--4---2-4-|
E|2---------------|---------------4|5454545-|2--0--2---0-2-|

Chorus  (E, A)
E|----------------||----------------|
B|99999-----------||99999-----------|
G|99999---55555---||99999---55555---|
D|99999---55555---||99999---55555---|
A|77777---55555---||77777---55555---|
E|00000---77777---||00000---77777---|
     "All I need..."

To finish:

E|----------------|
B|----------------|
G|----------------|
D|7---7---7---7---|
A|7---7---7---7---|
E|5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|

Repeat the whole -Intro,Verse,Chorus- a second time.  Then...

Outro
E|-------------|---------------|
B|-------------|---------------|
G|9--12-99-1299|9--12-9914-1299|
D|9--12-99-1299|9--12-9914-1299| repeat and fade
A|7--10-77-1077|7--10-7712-1077|
E|-------------|---------------|

Edit: not sure how to get rid of the spacing, if you want the tab, press quote and copy/paste into notepad or whatever...

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well I've been attempting Don't think Twice it's Alright a fair bit recently. At first I found it bloody impossible but when bits come together and you find yourself recognising all the bits it's great. I'm still only a bit through it though, it's pretty darn fast if you ask me. I can't find the tab I'm learning from but I think this is pretty much the same. Also been playing I'd Like To Know by Supergrass which is a cracking tune and brilliant fun to play along to bloody loud. There is a tab here as well as tabs for all the Should I Coco? tracks.
Edit: The Dylan song is a bit fiddly but is also lovely to strum along to on an acoustic. Although if we're talking about great Dylan songs to strum along to you can't beat Like a Rolling Stone. I really enjoy playing that.

Frinky

Hah, I'm learning Murder On The Dancefloor (yes, I know), and I must point out that this chord is the spawn of Satan himself:

EMaj    
|---4---|
|---5---|
|---4---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---0---|

It can go away.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Frinky"Hah, I'm learning Murder On The Dancefloor (yes, I know), and I must point out that this chord is the spawn of Satan himself:

EMaj    
|---4---|
|---5---|
|---4---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---0---|

It can go away.
I like that. It sounds lovely.

JJJJH

The Whispers - 'And The Beat Goes On' - bass tab

Great song to warm your hands up to. Double-stops and octave work, that's where it's at baby. This isn't verbatim, but it's as close as I can be arsed to get. Contains much muting, a little popping, and if you're warming up it's easy to also fit in every other technique under the sun somewhere. This song sounds good with practically everything.

Intro (Chorus the same)

G|-----------2--------------------|
D|------024-4------4-----------|
A|2---2--------------------------| (little fill and then repeat)
E|----------------------0223----|

Verse

G|----4--------------------------------|
D|--------402---2---424220--------|
A|2--------------------------------402| (repeat)
E|--------------------------------------|

Bridge

G|-------------------|
D|-----------0-02--|
A|-------------------| (repeat)
E|0--0000---------|

Intro/Chorus x 12
Verse x 4
Bridge x 4
Chorus x 4
Verse x 4
Bridge x 4
Chorus x 4
(empty 4 bars)
Chorus x 8
(empty 8 bars)
Verse x 4
Bridge x 4
Chorus x 8
(empty 2 bars)
Bridge x 12
Chorus x 12
(empty 4 bars)
Chorus x 10 (then fades out)

didgeripoo

Quote from: "Frinky"Hah, I'm learning Murder On The Dancefloor (yes, I know), and I must point out that this chord is the spawn of Satan himself:

EMaj    
|---4---|
|---5---|
|---4---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---0---|

It can go away.

If you play those C major shape barre chords nice and high up and alternate between that and an E minor shape at the same fret, then you actually BECOME Eels.

Neil

Ooh ta for those, I'm working through them now.  After seeing Macca doing Helter Skleter on the Glasto coverage last night I decided I had to learn how to play it!    Here's an ascii tab export of the Guitar Pro tab I am using:

E||-------------------||---0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--||
B||-----------------3/||---3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3--||
G||-------------------||*----------------------------------*||
D||-------------------||*----------------------------------*||
A||-------------------||------------------------------------||
E||-------------------||------------------------------------||

--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-|
--2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-1-|--1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-0-0-0-|
----------------------------------|----------------------------0-0-0-|
----------------------------------|----------------------------------|

--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--------0-0-0-0-------0-0-0-0-|
--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--------0-0-0-0-------0-0-0-0-|
--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--|--------1-1-1-1-------1-1-1-1-|
--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--|--------2-2-2-2-------2-2-2-2-|
--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--|--------2-2-2-2-------2-2-2-2-|
--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--0--0--0-0-0-0-0--0--0-0-0-0-|

5x                              
|---0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0-0---||--3--3--3--3-3-3-3-3-3--3-3--|
|---0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0-0---||--0--0--0--0-0-0-0-0-0--0-0--|
|*--1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1-1--1-1--*||--0--0--0--0-0-0-0-0-0--0-0--|
|*--2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2-2--2-2--*||--0--0--0--0-0-0-0-0-0--0-0--|
|---2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2-2--2-2---||--2--2--2--2-2-2-2-2-2--2-2--|
|---0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0-0---||--3--3--3--3-3-3-3-3-3--3-3--|

--------------------|--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0----|
--2-----------------|--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0----|
--2-----------------|--1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1-1--1----|
--2-----------------|--2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2-2--2----|
--0-----------------|--2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2-2--2----|
----------------x---|--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0-0--0-x--|

Here's a link to the Guitar Pro file so you can listen to it, Guitar Pro is a fab utility and well worth downloading!  http://www.mysongbook.com/tab-tab_download-id_tablature=2491.htm

I've turned on the TT html tag which should make tabs display better on this page.

Sam

Really cool to see people talking about and experiencing the joys of playing guitar. You know, liking a bit of music so much that you want to emulate and it relive it in the knowledge that you just created that yourself. I mean, that's what playing music is really, isn't it?

Over the last year, since studying music at univeristy, I haven't played much music, instead listening to ridiculous amounts of it and contemplating it differently. I just bought myself a lovely acoustic guitar to practise on over the summer. And what do I want to play? Simple, easy, great sounding music. The stuff you can play and sing along with. The thought of reading tabs, struggling and then mastering something before it reaches its end when you play it for that friend....that open-mic night, around that campfire. It's such a great feeling and right now I feel really at one with all the posters in this thread.

Neil

Quote from: "Sam"Really cool to see people talking about and experiencing the joys of playing guitar. You know, liking a bit of music so much that you want to emulate and it relive it in the knowledge that you just created that yourself. I mean, that's what playing music is really, isn't it?

Over the last year, since studying music at univeristy, I haven't played much music, instead listening to ridiculous amounts of it and contemplating it differently. I just bought myself a lovely acoustic guitar to practise on over the summer. And what do I want to play? Simple, easy, great sounding music. The stuff you can play and sing along with. The thought of reading tabs, struggling and then mastering something before it reaches its end when you play it for that friend....that open-mic night, around that campfire. It's such a great feeling and right now I feel really at one with all the posters in this thread.

Pass that this way sir, not had any for a couple of months.  AAAaaaaaaah.  Yep, it's good stuff this music lark, I'm still not a very good player but I am working at it every day, and learning little bits of theory where I can.   I'm also plaing beyond my ability as I know that's the only way to get better.  I can't wait to get my Blues harp and slide tomorrow, stuff like The Fannies cover of Shadows, or any of the Blues tracks I've been listening to lately have really inspired me to learn some different ways of playing.

Goldentony

thrash is always a hell of a lot of fun to play, try and fine some S.O.D tabs

elderford

Neil, I would say that if you enjoy 12 bar blues, then give country a try.

Yes I know it's unhip, but it's fun to play.

Alternating bass notes and quick fiddly runs and turnarounds, which all pretty much fit into the three chord trick routine.

You can pick or finger it.

Anything that encourages finger-picking is worthwhile: using your thumb to alternate the bassnotes and as many fingers as you can spare to claw it up.

mikeyg

'Where is My Mind?' by the Pixies,

'Suffragette City' by David Bowie

Vermschneid Mehearties

EMaj    
|---4---|
|---5---|
|---4---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---0---|

It can go away.

Great chord! (Easy to play*, and sounds great)

*Providing you don't have to play it inside a Bflat or a D or something awful like that. That also sounded pretty arrogant, but I mean come on.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Christ, I forgot what I was meant to post

Try these chords in succession:

-4-
-5-
-4-
-6-
-7-
-4-

to

-4-
-5-
-6-
-4-
-7-
-4-

to

-4-
-5-
-4-
-6-
-4-
-4-

then to:

-4-
-4-
-5-
-6-
-6-
-4-

Sounds lovely. Might just write a song out of that. Cheers Frink for the inital inspiration.

elderford

Neil, don't forget you can kinda vamp the E chord with 7+9 (?) which is the Helter Skelter verse chord with the chunky riff chord from Sir Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Chile.

The choice is yours to either play the G note up on the top string or wang it on the bottom E.

MrManson

Most Metallica is brilliant to play, for the heavy , easy and cool sounding riffs and for the sweet high solos:)

Faves;

Master Of Puppets
One
Sad But True

Neil

Quote from: "elderford"Neil, I would say that if you enjoy 12 bar blues, then give country a try.

Yes I know it's unhip, but it's fun to play.

Alternating bass notes and quick fiddly runs and turnarounds, which all pretty much fit into the three chord trick routine.

Interesting...it's not a music style I'm into really, although I'm downloading the Bob Dylan album "Nashville Skyline" at the moment, so perhaps that will change my mind and give me some Country stuff to play!

QuoteAnything that encourages finger-picking is worthwhile: using your thumb to alternate the bassnotes and as many fingers as you can spare to claw it up.

I enjoy what little finger-picking I've done, and have downloaded some Blues Fingerstyle Guitar courses to work through, it's definitely a style of playing I'd like to get good at.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Let's keep this thread going. Recently I've been working my way through Blackbird by the Beatles, at first I found it quite tricky but I have got the hang of it now and it's actually pretty easy. The tab's too big to post here so I'll just link to it. I'm really enjoying playing it though, it's great fun when it all comes together and you can play along.

Neil

Great, that's a song I really want to learn to play, I have a video file where a guy goes through it, but it's too fiddly without tab.  Another song that's great fun to play on an acoustic is Neil Young's The Needle And The Damage Done.  Fab site that actually, good stuff to work through in the songs for intermediates and beginners sections.

sproggy

When I feel the stress levels getting too high and need to compose my thoughts I always find playing Roger Waters' Is there anybody out there?  Does the trick nicely

Neil

Ooh good choice, do you finger-pick that?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Neil"Great, that's a song I really want to learn to play, I have a video file where a guy goes through it, but it's too fiddly without tab.  Another song that's great fun to play on an acoustic is Neil Young's The Needle And The Damage Done.  Fab site that actually, good stuff to work through in the songs for intermediates and beginners sections.
I'm sure I mentioned The Needle and The Damage Done in the old fun guitar songs thread, in fact I think I posted the whole tab. It's great to play, whenever I get handed an acoustic it's always the first thing I play. My My Hey Hey is another good Neil Young acoustic song to play, I'll try and find a decent tab later.

sproggy

Quote from: "Neil"Ooh good choice, do you finger-pick that?

Yes, I can't use a plectrum to save my life.  I think the technical term is a 'claw hammer' technique, what with me being self taught and everything.

I suspect it limits my playing style but as I only play for my own enjoyment, it doesn't matter does it?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "sproglette"
Quote from: "Neil"Ooh good choice, do you finger-pick that?

Yes, I can't use a plectrum to save my life.  I think the technical term is a 'claw hammer' technique, what with me being self taught and everything.

I suspect it limits my playing style but as I only play for my own enjoyment, it doesn't matter does it?
Is claw hammer not another name for frailing? If so is that not really hard to do? After reading stuff on this site it left me quite confused, I don't understand it at all.

sproggy

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Is claw hammer not another name for frailing? If so is that not really hard to do? After reading stuff on this site it left me quite confused, I don't understand it at all.

That site is a little too technical for me, as I explained earlier the style I use is self taught and has become the most comfortable way for me to play.  I have 'girly' nails on my right hand thumb, index and middle fingers 'cos those are what I use to play.

Just to even the balance, here's a tab for David Gilmour's Fat Old Sun  A lovely song to strum and sing when sitting in the garden on a warm summer evening.  The D to F chord change is simply sublime.

Spiteface

I'm rediscovering a load of The Verve's earlier stuff , especially tracks like "Slide Away" and "A Man Called Sun" which is quite sparse in places, but great atmospheric guitar work by Nick McCabe, an underrated genius.