Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yuru Yuri♪♪ and... not much else by the looks of the list [Summer anime]

Started by Pedro_Bear, June 27, 2012, 06:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Big Jack McBastard

Cheers monsignor hairdo, think I'll also check out Tari Tari and Kokoro Connect, you never know, might be worth it.

Big Jack McBastard

Hah, just noticed those are the same possibles Pedro mentioned in the first post, our eyeballs must on the same wavelength.

Big Jack McBastard

Well Koroko has some mild potential for some funny moments, when Himeko gets switched it'll be worth seeing and there's a pervy yuri girl in the periphery which is always a good idea.

Didn't wow me or anything but I'll keep a casual eye on it.

madhair60

Big Jack McBastard

Daft as a brush as usual.

Meanwhile shit gets real in Kokoro Connect:

Out of nowhere comes Mr Go[nb] or rather,,,,[/nb], an aloof ass kicking, probably sinister, string puller, he is not impressed with your shit, as shown here:

Deep questions suddenly coming from unlikely sources as they get their heads around the idea of switching bodies and if you throw in the possibility of someone acting as if they were switched to dig information or cause trouble (which will invariably happen if it didn't already with Aoki putting on a Nagase) then this could well get twisty and nasty and funny and stupid and chaotic etc..

I'm all intrigued now, good second ep.

Pedro_Bear

Yeah, Kukoro Connect is pretty good so far. I think you're right there, it's got potential to swing a totally different way to how it's been presented. Which would then make it an unholy blend of K-ON! and Madoka Magica, I suppose? We'll see. Tari Tari is pretty much Cute Girls Doing Cute Things The Anime, which, you know, is always worth a watch. Joshiraku is Rambling Fairies with a continuity structure, and JC Staff are trying something new with the animation which is possibly worth a look in and of itself. The comedic exchanges aren't as tightly editted as gdgd but there is the sense that they're experimenting throughout, and that often produces satisfying tv. There's also the expectation that elements of this will go on to influence the next Raildex installment (hopefully Railgun II), so... yeah. Interesting as much as anything else.

Binbougami ga! however, is possibly the hidden comedy gem this season:

Possibly. We're in Cthulhu-chan/Upotte!/Charger Girls territory here. When one of the main characters is introduced effectively wearing her panstu on her head off the bat, we know we're in for at least a few good episodes. The lazy Misfortune Goddess' main motivation is signposted early on as breast-envy, and that sums up the tone of the show. It's got a good OP tune, and that sort of broad Japanese humour that stacks from one scene to the next until we surrender and start laughing. I also really like the over-design in Momiji's costume, where a lot of effort has gone into making it look like no effort at all has gone into her presentation, but flagged as such as a joke.

madhair60

Big Jack McBastard

The girl growing fruit flies in her earwax is utterly fucked, I must see the rest of this now..

Big Jack McBastard

I like that the professor is basically a thinly veiled demon bringing together a band of misfits so they can be even more gross or perverted or insane.

Oh lawdy the ending was funny too the whole 'reeking of iron' bit was wonderfully grimy.

So that's me watching all of the rest of this show tonight.

Big Jack McBastard

That flew by and was very entertaining and disgusting throughout.

Consignia

So I said I was glad there's not much on this season, but it's out even with slim pickings, alot has ended up on my plate. Anyway, pithy thoughts time:

Binbou-gami: Quite fun actually. Lot's of slap stick and gags which is always nice.
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate: Ugh..
Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru: Double Ugh... Please no more siscon, it's shit.
Muv-luv: Very dry, but actually quite enjoyable. It's surprising that's a spin-off of an ero-ge all things considered. I loved the cruelness of the first couple of episodes but afterwards it seems to be a lighter, whcih is looking disappointing.
Oda Nobuna: Well, it's nothing offensive. But there's nothing really here. If you want a good femanised version of Oda et al. see Sengoku Collection[nb]Seriously check it out, it's strangely enjoyable, despite the shakey first couple of episodes[/nb]
Chitose get you: Not much to say, it's one of the 3 minute shorts. It's quite cute and fun so far.
Campione!:Nothing special but it fills an actiony hole.
Dakara Boku wa Ecchi Dekinai:I bought the light novel for this, but never got round to reading it. I think just as well, really. The title is probably funnier than the show can manage. A couple of giggles, though.
Jinrei wa Suitai-shimashita: Oh yeah, love this. Wonderfully surreal, and full of snappy dialogue. No description can do it justice. Easily show of the season for me.
Natsuyuki Rendez-vous: A quiet love comedy which you'd expect out of the noitanimA block. As such, is my thing. Some nicely understated dialogue in there.
Kokoro Conect: Yeah, kind of fun. It's the kind of premise that can run out of steam really quickly. I think I could of watched it without the body swapping theme, because those first bits were quite good.
La storia della Arcana Famiglia: Bloody hell. You know you're not in for a fun ride, when the main characters spend the entire first episode explaining things to each other that they already know. Utter rank. Avoid like the plague.
Tari Tari: Another calm healing show, very much in the vain of perhaps my favourite show from last year, Hanasaku Iroha. Thems big boots to fill, and it hasn't quite lived up to that. However, otherwise I'm finding good fun.
Sword Art Online: Eh... Kind of bizarre premise that makes it difficult to really care about. I'm sure other series have done this sort of thing much better (.hack//Quantum being something recent that comes to mind)
Dog Days 2: Why did I bother? I couldn't stand the first series, and it's more of the same. Tepid shite in other words. Everyone is so bloody nice, like The bloody Good Life. It couldn't be more transparently be a vehicle for Nana Mizuki and Yui Horie if it tried.
Yuri Yuri 2:Despite not really liking the first series that much, I'm actually enjoying this. There is still some of the nasty tastes of things I didn't like from the first series, but it's concentrating so far on elements I liked. The first of half of the first episode was brill.

Phew. I'm presently playing Persona 4 on the Vita, but came across this little MAD[Nico Nico][Youtube][/url] from it.  I love the way someone made it from the shop jingle, and they insert silly bits in with more tragic unlying dialogue.

Big Jack McBastard

Consignia

I was going to Akari's sister is actually a bloke and post the following manga page as evidence:

But of course they changed it for the collected volume from the serilaised version. Honestly, she originally was a bloke, and this historical revisionism of the worst kind!!

Big Jack McBastard

Horey sheet I am seeing the K-On movie apparently subbed on Nyaa!

Pedro_Bear

BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL BE REAL

DON'T BE THE MOST ELABORATE AND CRUEL TROLL IN INTERNET HISTORY

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN DAMMIT

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

IF THIS IS A TROLL MY VENGEANCE WILL BE LEGENDARY I WILL DESTROY THE INTERNET

YESYESYEYSYEYSYEYSYESYEYSYEYEYEYWEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYSYSYSYSYEYEYSS

YESYESYEYSYEYSYEYSYESYEYSYEYEYEYWEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYSYSYSYSYEYEYSS

YES? NO? CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON CMON AARARASDASHGASDHASHASHF

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH HOW LONG CAN ONE BLACKSCREEN HOLD FOR?????
STOP TRYING TO KILL MEEEEEEEE JUST BE REEEAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL

SHIT JUST GOT REAAAAAAAAAAL!!!! THE KONS ARE COMING TO LONDON AND THERES NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO TO STOP THEM!!!!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

madhair60

I can't do it.  I can't bring myself to watch it, because then that will be it.  There won't be any more.  That will be all of the K-On, and that can never happen.  It always has to be there, it always has to be just out of reach.  I can't watch it.  Ever.

Big Jack McBastard

The 'performance' at the start was fucking great, but took me about 10 minutes to get used to Yui not sounding like madhair after K-Off.

I have a hankering for some Jeff Biscuits.

Pedro_Bear

Everything about that little deadpan opening sequence is K-ON! gold. The role-reversal of the characters, the rattling through the backstory in three lines, Yui's "AZUNYAN! We'll play... later" delivery complete with hand gesture, and the bait'n'switch meta-commentary about how movie characters are usually super-cool versions of themselves to try to widen the appeal of the film, trampling all over what we liked about the show in the first place. It defies description how clever this all is, clipped to less than five minutes of screentime in total, and, as ever, crediting the mixed audience with the intelligence to take it all in.

We knew this was going to be The Very Best, and we knew that it was going to feature absolutely everyone from the show at some point, especially the background characters, and the way they've met our insanely high and frankly unrealistic expectations and then exceeded them is... just... astounding. KyoAni's Haruhi movie moved the goalposts into outer space for what could be achieved with animated films, and K-ON! here landed the ball in the back of the net as if they were shooting pointblank.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 20, 2012, 12:53:33 PM
I can't do it.  I can't bring myself to watch it, because then that will be it.  There won't be any more.  That will be all of the K-On, and that can never happen.  It always has to be there, it always has to be just out of reach.  I can't watch it.  Ever.

Ahh, but... you haven't listened to RA-DI-ON!, the hour-long, canonical, between-seasons radio broadcast, where HTT bluff their way through their first ever interview and drive the sound engineer into fits of laughter by screwing up the recording of the jingle, have you? Hmmmm?

How can you look Yui in the eye after she's gone to so much effort to entertain us? How can you be so... selfish?

madhair60

i'm sorry yui i promise i'll watch your movie like nine times

Quote19:57
I was listening to K-On music to and from work today
just thinking about how much I want to be Yui
I could be derp and play the guitar and everyone would think I was fantastic for both

My friends are as excited as I am.

madhair60

Well, that movie was as flawless as expected.  I loved the little nod to shippers in the hotel room with Azusa and Yui.  Why can't I go and see this on the big screen? :(

madhair60

Big Jack McBastard

Must.. resist.. new. things...

I'm taking on my backlog and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko is first up and has hit a good 50% of my predictions manifesto in the last thread so far at 4 episodes in. Boy supposedly going to live alone ends up with a derp, ecchi, lechy, male-hungry aunt and her flaky, possibly alien, possibly mental, futon wearing[nb]New one on me, so points for that[/nb] daughter who is of course blue haired and pixie-esque. Boy runs into cute prim girl and dark haired, laid back, weird, mysterious girl at school and they're all about 5 fucking seconds from a beach episode I can smell it coming, I'm sure more of the list will be ticked off shortly, it's blisteringly cute at times and the underlying mystery of what actually happened to our blue haired mattress wrapped Denpa a year ago is intriguing enough to drag me along. The OP is torture the ED much better.

Highschool of the Dead after that I think.

Big Jack McBastard

Well there was a beach episode almost immediately, but a subverted one which was nice, this was a show packed with weirdos so it worked too.

Lots of variations on the themes we've come to know and expect but grabs the attention early on and gets it's hooks in, it's quite funny at times and walked the line between reality and fantasy very nicely right up to the end.

Ultimately it's unique enough to be a perfectly formed parcel of entertainment in it's own right, worth watching.