Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Official Olympics (Sport) Thread

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, June 30, 2012, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo Sexwhale

I know there's another thread, but that one is for moaning about the cost and how Londoners won't be able to get to work - so fuck that - this one's for the SPORT. [nb]and medal counting jingoism[/nb]

According to one study, GB could win around 27 Golds this time - last time it was 19 and that was considered to be incredible - and would likely see a third place in the medals team ahead of Russia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/19/team-gb-gold-medals-london-2012

Already it looks like Bolt isn't nailed-on (or screwed-in) for the 100m, he's been beaten by Yohan Blake in the Jamaican trials.

I think the most incredible achievement would be if Michael Phelps could win another 8 medals (of any colour) - as it would be the third successive Olympics, he'd have done it. 

So what are you looking forward to - and where will GB get those 27 golds from?

El Unicornio, mang

I might watch the opening ceremony and Judo. Otherwise just periodically checking the medals table.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Are you still in America, unicorn?  Are they worried that China will "beat" them again?

El Unicornio, mang

I will be when it starts. Last time they declared themselves winners by arranging the medals by total win instead of by Gold won. No doubt they'll do it again if need be...

Although anyone bar China winning would be nice.

Subtle Mocking

I can't wait to see which musicians actually turn up for the opening ceremony. The ones that do have a cushty £250 waiting for them!

Anyway, the actual games. They got rid of Olympic Baseball, so balls to 'em.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

HappyTree

After I had recovered from the shock of learning that Beckham has been cruelly spurned, I wondered if Kabaddi had made it into the games yet.

Tokyo Sexwhale

The number of golds doesn't matter as long as we finish above the Aussies - I loved reading their whinging newspaper columnists and reader's letters on their websites after Beijing.

biggytitbo

I think we'll win -27 golds, having got docked 50 golds for fielding an illegal bear in the ladies shot put.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I told them a thousand times they should've entered a legal bear, like I do every Wednesday.

Tokyo Sexwhale

The phoney war is nearly over, the football starts tomorrow!

I'm pretty much looking forward to all of it, even the shit sports that dont matter - oh apart from the equestrianism, that shouldnt be in the Olympics.  And wrestling, unless that sexy Swedish woman is in it again. Archery is a shit spectator sport, I suppose. And shooting, but that should boost the medal count.

Then there's the reason even non-sports fans will be watching, the prospect of a terrorist outrage, or a shame-faced Seb Coe having to apologise for some colossal fuck-up.

Bring it on!

BlodwynPig

Merge threads or haul this fake in front of the G4S firing squad

Tokyo Sexwhale

Sports/TV threads in Picture Box.  Moaning threads about cost and inconvenience in General Bullshit.

Have you brought your kit?  Otherwise, you'll be doing it in your pants.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on July 24, 2012, 08:59:08 PM
Sports/TV threads in Picture Box.  Moaning threads about cost and inconvenience in General Bullshit.

Have you brought your kit?  Otherwise, you'll be doing it in your pants.

I tried my best - the third installment was not meant to be a moaning thread. Or if it was...a moaning about athletes and sports.

OK. This one remains for that purpose.

I'm off to the Football on Thursday with a painted smile and an Iranian fundamentalist.

George Oscar Bluth II

I shall be supporting Iran in all events, as usual.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 24, 2012, 09:59:56 PM

You won't be watching much of the women's events then.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 24, 2012, 09:59:56 PM

I'm supporting Somalia this year. Means I only have to watch two events.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on June 30, 2012, 06:00:52 PM
The number of golds doesn't matter as long as we finish above the Aussies - I loved reading their whinging newspaper columnists and reader's letters on their websites after Beijing.

my favourite was hearing an aussie saying that, because they'd won in hockey or something, in which there is 11 players, they actually had more gold medalists so should have been above us.

anyway, I would quite like us to fail though, the whole thing has been a horrific shambles regarding the sponsorship and security etc. but you feel they can cover up how joyless the games will have been with a good medal haul. coming quite far down the table will make people focus on the organisation again. I'm also fed up for jessica ennis' stupid face peering from every shop or newspaper.

I'm making an exception for the cyclists though, all of them are stars so I hope they sweep the board again.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Ha, I hadn't heard that one. 

In respect of the "shambles", I doubt it will be any worse than most of the previous Olympic Games, and the corporate stuff has always been there, especially since the 1984 Olympics showed that (the IOC and sponsors) could make a shit-load of money from it.

I'm not so cynical or joyless that I want the thing to be a disaster or for a terrorist atrocity to wipe out the Stadium, I just want to be excited and astounded by what ought to be the greatest spectacle of sport.

hoverdonkey

I ruddy love the Olympics. I love watching sports that I never normally watch, rooting for people who I'll likely never hear of again. I love waiting to see how the BBC are going to do it with the theme tune and graphics and I this year, I'll love all the extra stuff going on in London. I'm taking my boy up as often as possible to take it all in, because in three weeks, it'll all be over and we'll be back to the grind of Premier League football etc and I don't want to feel I didn't make the most of it.

Nuclear Optimism

I hope GB wins silver in every event. To me, that would be funnier than winning no medals at all.

lvikevin

Olympics is coming. hope everything going fine.

doppelkorn

Yeah it's not bad thanks, although the tube's quite busy! I can't wait for things to kick off in earnest!

Thanks for your concern mate, all the best!

d.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: hoverdonkey on July 25, 2012, 02:12:25 PM
I ruddy love the Olympics. I love watching sports that I never normally watch, rooting for people who I'll likely never hear of again. I love waiting to see how the BBC are going to do it with the theme tune and graphics and I this year, I'll love all the extra stuff going on in London. I'm taking my boy up as often as possible to take it all in, because in three weeks, it'll all be over and we'll be back to the grind of Premier League football etc and I don't want to feel I didn't make the most of it.

Have you not seen the BBC Olympic trailer?  Graphics are a bit underwhelming, but I do like the Olympic Theme - was surprised to find it was done by the bloke from Elbow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ViLiXA0E70

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on July 25, 2012, 02:07:47 PM
the greatest spectacle of sport.

I DON'T GET THIS!

ALL THE SPORTS ARE BORING!

George Oscar Bluth II

Archery is not boring. How dare you.

biggytitbo