Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Official Olympics (Sport) Thread

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, June 30, 2012, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 25, 2012, 02:55:08 PM
I DON'T GET THIS!

ALL THE SPORTS ARE BORING!

Well there's so many and various sports and types of sports.  If you don't like any of them, perhaps you just don't like sport?

I'm looking forward to the mens 100m - Bolt v Blake v Gay v Powell v Gatlin

Phelps vs Lochte over a number of events in the swimming

The British cycling team

And of the sports that I think are boring, well if there's British interest that will get me through it, and if there isn't, I can cheer against our rivals in the medal table. And for the non-sports fans, there are the organisational cock-ups  to look forward to.  There really is something for everyone.

George Oscar Bluth II

Organisational cockups you say?

The North Korean women's team are refusing to play because the big screen at Hampden Park showed the South Korean flag rather than the North Korean flag.

We're fucking this up before the event has even started. Awesome.

EDIT: have a picture:

Tokyo Sexwhale

BlodwynPig

Ha, just turned that feed on and its just now starting - must have been postponed for an hour to placate the Koreans. Just in time to see the most beautiful Colombian footballer since the Scorpion

Tokyo Sexwhale

Oh, yes - the other purpose of the Olympics sport thead!

Though not that keen on her - maybe it's the braces.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on July 25, 2012, 09:06:12 PM
Oh, yes - the other purpose of the Olympics sport thead!

Though not that keen on her - maybe it's the braces.

Don't think she's wearing them in the game. Waiting for a close up.

Unoriginal

I hope Jessica Ennis drops the shot put ball on her right foot.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: The GuardianBritain's head coach, Charles van Commenee, has admitted that Paula Radcliffe's chances of competing at the Olympic Games rest on a knife edge. "Shall we flip a coin?" said Van Commenee when asked about the 38-year-old world record holder's fitness with just 10 days to go until the women's marathon. "Paula is Paula. Paula is always a concern," he added. "She is on a thin line every day for the last decade. Nothing has changed."

Whatever your opinion on her, that seems like a rather unnecessarily cunty thing to say.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 25, 2012, 08:27:44 PM

The North Korean women's team are refusing to play because the big screen at Hampden Park showed the South Korean flag rather than the North Korean flag.

Particularly amusing in light of this article from a few days ago...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/18/london-2012-medal-ceremony-flag-fear

KennyMonster

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on June 30, 2012, 04:26:35 PM
I know there's another thread, but that one is for moaning about the cost and how Londoners won't be able to get to work - so fuck that - this one's for the SPORT. [nb]and medal counting jingoism[/nb]

According to one study, GB could win around 27 Golds this time - last time it was 19 and that was considered to be incredible - and would likely see a third place in the medals team ahead of Russia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/19/team-gb-gold-medals-london-2012

Already it looks like Bolt isn't nailed-on (or screwed-in) for the 100m, he's been beaten by Yohan Blake in the Jamaican trials.

I think the most incredible achievement would be if Michael Phelps could win another 8 medals (of any colour) - as it would be the third successive Olympics, he'd have done it. 

So what are you looking forward to - and where will GB get those 27 golds from?

The odds of a general election being called this year have recently halved.
I fear that if we do well in the Olympics, Cameron will use that and the feel good flag waving feeling from the Queeny bash etc. to try to get in government for good (ie. without those little LibDem todies getting in the way) despite NHS sale, benefit cuts and us getting deeper into recession.

Idiot f*ckers in this country will probably vote for him too.

biggytitbo

The team I'm rooting for this olympics is 'Individual Olympic Participant', I hope they top the medal table!

The athletes parade should be fun, I'm guess 'Individual Olympic Participant' will march out holding a flag with their own face on.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 25, 2012, 08:27:44 PM

That's no accident; just a subtle acknowledgement that...

Jim Jarmusch

Pre-season friendlies have a better atmosphere than these Olympic mens football matches.

If it wasn't for Saurez there would be total silence.

Tokyo Sexwhale

#TeamGB v Senegal: Butland, Bertrand, Richards, Caulker, Taylor, Cleverley, Allen, Giggs, Rose, Sturridge,Bellamy.

Actually, that doesn't look a bad side.

phes

Quote from: Boris JohnsonThe Geiger counter of Olympo-mania is going to go zoik - off the scale

Uh oh

EOLAN

What is with the mini Law and Order theme anytime they show a replay in the Olympic soccer. Far more annoying than any vuvuzuela.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 26, 2012, 03:27:56 PM
The team I'm rooting for this olympics is 'Individual Olympic Participant', I hope they top the medal table!

The athletes parade should be fun, I'm guess 'Individual Olympic Participant' will march out holding a flag with their own face on.

Corking names this time around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Olympic_Participants_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

ps. I am now officially an Olympic convert after watching some of the most entertaining football ever this afternoon (Mexico Dull - Dull Wrong Korea, Gabon (Referee 2nd Half) 1 - 1 Switzerland (Referee 1st Half)). The atmosphere was electric, a thousand mexican waves and the chants of "Gabon, Gabon" in the tune of Gary Glitter. The cuisine was above average, a balti pie for close to 4 quid, washed down with Heineken from a plastic bottle at 3.60. OK, it felt like winter in the stadium, but the words of Cameron, Boris, Beckham, Coe and William warmed my cockles.

All Heil The Olympics.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2012, 09:39:40 PMthe chants of "Gabon, Gabon" in the tune of Gary Glitter.

That's superb.

small_world

I got tickets for Spain v Honduras and Japan v Morocco on Sunday at St James'.
I must admit to just getting totally swept up in it.

What was it like getting entry to the ground, it was apparently really difficult for the first game at St James', but that may have just been for those collecting tickets, I picked mine up today so it should be fine... Hopefully.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: small_world on July 27, 2012, 03:05:10 PM
I got tickets for Spain v Honduras and Japan v Morocco on Sunday at St James'.
I must admit to just getting totally swept up in it.

What was it like getting entry to the ground, it was apparently really difficult for the first game at St James', but that may have just been for those collecting tickets, I picked mine up today so it should be fine... Hopefully.

Piece of piss. Just sauntered in - made not contact with a human being ( you just shove your ticket barcode in a scanner). No-one checked my pockets for anything illegal. Piece of piss. (Only queues I saw were for the Balti pies, 4 quid a pop).

mikeyg27

The ticketing this close to the games has been a real fuck-up so far. The fact that Stratford is the only place you can collect tickets before the games actually begin is so stupid - I ended up in a 2hr[nb]They had provision for at least double that. Apparently if you go early in the morning there's no-one there.[/nb] queue yesterday as the box office provisions they have on-site are worryingly small. What made it worse that that I happened to have been at ExCeL, the venue the ticket was for, earlier in the day but with no way of getting tickets there.Still, at least I wasn't one of those Australians queueing for 6 hours in Paddington for their tickets.

I'm wondering if they didn't expect so many returns and so much late demand - if you go on the website there's still a fair few events with tickets left, but only in the most expensive bands. It's almost as if they're surprised that non-one wants to spend £125 to watch men's Beach Volleyball...

If you go into Westfield next to the olympic park now it's full of athletes in their national tracksuits looking to make a few cheeky purchases. It's bizarre.

Jim Jarmusch

There's only the cyclists I'm willing to watch. They're decent human beings.

biggytitbo

Our world conquering British boys have balsed this up havent they?

Never mind the tour de bollocking France, you should be doing it at your home olympics!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 28, 2012, 03:43:01 PM

Release the hounds!

Probably the greatest hound in history. Sheepish face, cunning mind.

Tokyo Sexwhale

The cycling coverage which I'd been dipping in and out of all day was fucking awful - there was no way of knowing how far the various groups were away from each other until right at the end.

Apparently, the BBC aren't actually host broadcaster - it's this shower:  http://www.obs.es/obslondon2012.html

Probably also explains why the Opening Ceremony kept cutting away at interesting places, and having two many close-ups and not enough wide/spectacle shots.

Not that the BBC are much better - the usual shower of barely-competent presenters, who struggle once they need to find a follow up question to "how are you feeling after that performance".

George Oscar Bluth II

The lack of time gaps was a disgrace.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 28, 2012, 03:45:17 PM
Probably the greatest hound in history. Sheepish face, cunning mind.

The British dog that ran out was shit - across the road and back and didn't take anyone out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I had a feeling Team GB were going to be a bit mediocre this time around.