Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:19:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Official Olympics (Sport) Thread

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, June 30, 2012, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Why arent the BBC hosting the coverage? The guy commentating on the cycling was worse than redunant, he could barely recognise any of the cyclists, he didn't know where the british team were and sounded confused all the way through.

If that lass in the swimming doesnt win a gold I'm boycotting the whole shambles.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Ha. The commentators at the Archery venue are getting no crowd response for their shtick.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 28, 2012, 05:21:06 PM
Why arent the BBC hosting the coverage? The guy commentating on the cycling was worse than redunant, he could barely recognise any of the cyclists, he didn't know where the british team were and sounded confused all the way through.

Sounds like Partridge, but not funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D568_-2E2Uo

Jamie Oliver is fat

Holy shit, the fucking arrogance of the British cycling team and the BBC has been breathtaking

All the shit in the build up that basically Cav, the Cavster, old Cavvy Cav Cav, just needed to turn up to win gold

All I've heard since then is fucking whining about how it was GB against the world, everyone was against us! they ganged up on us! it's so not fair!

Absolutely pathetic, what utterly abysmal losers

The archery was amazing. A ten to win, and hugs from the yanks.

No sign of sulking cyclists there thank fuck

Jim Jarmusch

There's no guarantees in a single near six hour stage of cycling. The breakaway does occasionally hold on for the win. This was the only event I had any interest in so I'm pretty disappointed and because Cavendish is such a good character.

thepuffpastryhangman

Tthorpe has been excellent every time I've seen him. What the fuck is Balding wearing?

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 28, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
Holy shit, the fucking arrogance of the British cycling team and the BBC has been breathtaking

All the shit in the build up that basically Cav, the Cavster, old Cavvy Cav Cav, just needed to turn up to win gold

All I've heard since then is fucking whining about how it was GB against the world, everyone was against us! they ganged up on us! it's so not fair!

Absolutely pathetic, what utterly abysmal losers

Hmm, sounds to me like you know absolutely nothing about cycling.

Depressed Beyond Tables

The gymnastics is fucking excellent. They've all fumbled at some stage but that makes it even more enjoyable. Like playing russian roulette with your face and shins.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 28, 2012, 09:10:06 PM
Hmm, sounds to me like you know absolutely nothing about cycling.

Correct, I know fuck all

But I can recognised arrogance and rotten losers

biggytitbo

I thought the message from this was that cycling has become yet another sport where the Olympics is longer the most important competition, like tennis and football.

The tour de France was clearly far more important to these cyclecunts than the Olympics is, even when its a home Olympics.

chocky909

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 28, 2012, 10:32:21 PM
... these cyclecunts...

It's not really their fault if the Olympics isn't so important in their sport anymore. Neither that the Tour De France was so close to the Games.

BlodwynPig

Boo fucking Hoo. All this Hulabaloo has turned to shit.

Well, it will be a matter of time before the medals start flowing and the hyperbole gets cranked up to 11.

mikeyg27

George Oscar Bluth II

Our Tour de France winning, world champion cyclists are "cunts" because they couldn't win what basically amounts to a one day classic. I love Britain.

buttgammon

Volleyball is great. So great that they're still playing!

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Somehow I spent yesterday watching the full three hours of women's weightlifting. It's pretty hypnotising watching tiny women about four and a half feet tall lift heavy things. I think I might have discovered a new fetish of mine

Was Zoe Smith in it? I liked her in the documentary about the UK women's weightlifting team and I'll be annoyed if I missed her attempt.

Mr Eggs

mikeyg27

I've just come back from the Basketball. GB were just clearly second-best to Russia. The Argentina - Lithuania game afterwards was just a clear step up. Also, the sheer number of Lithuanian fans in the building and the atmosphere they created were incredible - the start of that game was one of the most memorable sporting events I've been to (to the point that I now want to go see a basketball game in Vilnius). Shame they couldn't match an on-fire Argentina (who didn't do too badly in the crowd stakes either).

Empty seat watch: The upper deck was pretty much full, the lower tier started off nearly empty but filled out as the 1st game went on. I'd still say that level was 75% full at most though, with all the empty seats being at mid-court.

finnquark

Quote from: mikeyg27 on July 30, 2012, 01:13:26 AM
I've just come back from the Basketball. GB were just clearly second-best to Russia. The Argentina - Lithuania game afterwards was just a clear step up. Also, the sheer number of Lithuanian fans in the building and the atmosphere they created were incredible - the start of that game was one of the most memorable sporting events I've been to (to the point that I now want to go see a basketball game in Vilnius). Shame they couldn't match an on-fire Argentina (who didn't do too badly in the crowd stakes either).

Empty seat watch: The upper deck was pretty much full, the lower tier started off nearly empty but filled out as the 1st game went on. I'd still say that level was 75% full at most though, with all the empty seats being at mid-court.

I was in Lithuania last summer during the European Basketball Championships, and despite not realising it was on until we got there, we went to two games in Vilnius, including Serbia-Lithuania. Saw Britain fail to qualify despite winning their last group match against Poland in usual melodramatic, plucky style. It's Lithuania's national sport and the atmosphere was amazing, boosted by this kitsch number (which was played every half hour in almost every club/bar we went to): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwmR5KLUI8

Anyway if you get the chance, definitely worth seeing them play there (not sure what the chances are now given they hosted it last year, maybe some qualifying stuff... Great country to visit anyway).

Mr Eggs

^ That youtube video is ace, esp. the bit where the bloke gobs out his toothbrushings.

TV is where its at  Having just watched the mens 4x100 freestyle on iPlayer....I'm now more ramped up for the mens 100m freestyle swimming than I am for Bolt v Blake on the track. This Yannick Agnel bloke was making Moorhouse and Jameson cluck like a pair of broody hens when the medals were necked.[nb] My knew word for for the en-medaling  "And that medal is NECKED!...Nice bulge on the Phelps lad...Did the French win? Sorry...Miles away...Now over to Sharron Davies...."![/nb]

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 29, 2012, 12:11:11 AM
Our Tour de France winning, world champion cyclists are "cunts" because they couldn't win what basically amounts to a one day classic. I love Britain.

No they're cunts because of their arrogance and sulking

Everyone's going wild about Rebecca Adlington's glorious 3rd place, despite her being billed alongside Cavdendish, Cavvy, Cav, The Cavmeister as a nailed on gold medal

Expectations on our medal haul about to become a bit more realistic now perhaps?

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 30, 2012, 02:10:20 AM
^ That youtube video is ace

It really isn't

biggytitbo

Adlngton wasn't even expected to medal in the 400m so the bronze was a genuine achievement, and her time was faster than when she won it 4 years ago. She is big favourite for the 800 m which is her speciality though.

Watched a bit of fencing yesterday, which was totally baffling but strangely compelling, and I actually enjoyed the women's cycling,which was surprising.

As for medals, mighty Kazakhstan currently have 2 gold medals compared to our 0.

They like!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

At least the two medals seem to have satiated the bloodthirsty media.

As for the rest of us, I think as long as we have a couple of good news stories a day, and perhaps some new named to support, we'll be fine.

Adlington did the best she couldve at that distance, and Armistead wasnt going to outsprint Vos.

biggytitbo

The BBC seem to be obsessed to a slightly creepy extent with Tom Daley, that weird boy who dives.

There's no way they're winning a medal today barring a miracle, so why so much attention?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree. In fact I'd go as far to call any fan of Daley an ephebophile.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on July 25, 2012, 11:09:18 PM
Whatever your opinion on her, that seems like a rather unnecessarily cunty thing to say.

Isn't he just saying that she has lived with this injury for years and so this has been an issue for a while. The tossing a coin thing might be a bit flippant but it depends on the tone he used, which doesn't come across

phantom_power

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 30, 2012, 07:06:11 AM

Everyone's going wild about Rebecca Adlington's glorious 3rd place, despite her being billed alongside Cavdendish, Cavvy, Cav, The Cavmeister as a nailed on gold medal

All the coverage I have seen made it clear that they didn't expect her to retain her title and that it was a surprise when she won it last year so I don't know where you get that from. Also if you saw her swim you would have seen an amazing effort to come from the middle of the pack to claim the bronze.

BlodwynPig

Adlington did good, but the French girl did better, but the BBC won't focus on that, naturally. The men's relay was astounding also and probably a more glorious victory for the French than any Gold they got last time out - a superb effort.

It's great seeing the British (media) hopes shatter. Adlington was still being hyped up until her 8th fastest entry into the final and then her "modest" tweet about not expecting much.

I can see some medals flowing soon in the sailing and swimming, but apart from that it certainly hasn't been a good opening few days (although, the ladies Beach volleyball pair looked typically plucky).