Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EU Rules You Can Resell Downloaded Games

Started by Subtle Mocking, July 03, 2012, 05:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Interesting.

QuoteWell here's some pretty huge news. The Court Of Justice of the European Union has just ruled that people should be able to resell downloaded games. In an environment where publishers are trying to destroy basic consumer rights like the ability to resell physical products you've paid for, this could be one heck of a turnaround for customers. And that's no matter what it might say in the EULAs. This could have absolutely enormous implications on how services like Steam, Origin, GamersGate and the like work, and finally restore some rights back to the gamer.

The Court said the exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by the license is "exhausted on its first sale". This could be a game-changer, no pun intended.

Ignatius_S

This ruling isn't just about games, but digital products, so has an even wider scope.

With something like Steam, the company is selling a service, not just games, so I wonder if there could be a way round it there.

madhair60

Anyone wanna buy Clive Barker's Jericho off me?

NoSleep

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 03, 2012, 06:25:58 PM
This ruling isn't just about games, but digital products, so has an even wider scope.

Anyone want to buy a s/h mp3?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hahaha. So can anyone work out why a second-handed digital copy of a game would be worth less than an original copy? Being as they are, absolutely identical?

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 04, 2012, 07:51:38 AM
Hahaha. So can anyone work out why a second-handed digital copy of a game would be worth less than an original copy? Being as they are, absolutely identical?

It may not be worth less, but, if you're looking to buy a new game and you have no money, then taking a reduced amount for your old games will speed their sale. I wonder if online retailers will offer trade-ins to limit the damage?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I wonder how long it will last before anyone turns around to shout THIS IS FUCKING STUUUUPIIIIIID.

olliebean

I guess EA will be moving over to a rental model before long, then.

MojoJojo

Yes - the judgement is predicated on it being an indefinite license. I actually wouldn't mind a rental system, assuming it was implemented and priced sensibly.

It's also not clear to me that it forces steam etc... to actually support reselling games. It's just saying reselling isn't illegal. So don't get too excited.

Also, I imagine Oracle might well challenge.
This bit of the statement taken from the RPS article seems particularly ripe for attack:
Quoteand to demand further remuneration on the occasion of each new sale, even though the first sale of the copy had already enabled the rightholder to obtain appropriate remuneration.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on July 04, 2012, 07:25:15 AM
Anyone want to buy a s/h mp3?

Little bit of a tangent, but in the States, people have done this. There was one landmark case where it was ruled that someone who wanted to sell tracks from iTunes, which he no longer wanted, was entitled to. (However, legally, it's still meant to be a grey area. Since then, there have been at least three start-ups in the States that wanted to be a marketplace such sales – the first two weren't successful (the second did try to get record companies involve and give them a slice of the pie, but for the bum's rush).

However, at the moment, the third one (Redigi) seems to be doing rather better and is battling lawsuits (EMI didn't have much joy earlier this year). At the moment, users can only sell music purchased from iTunes. When music is sold, the artist gets 20%.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 04, 2012, 07:51:38 AM

If the game is dirt cheap already and a second-hand seller wants the same amount, what's the incentive of buying second-hand?

Also, I could imagine companies could offer incentives to attract people buying new (e.g. reward points, bonus content).

Big Jack McBastard

Famous Mortimer

As a consumer who's bought many games online which turned out to be shit, I am glad that lawmakers are deciding to treat digital product the same as physical product.

Beagle 2

Millions of ordinary private sellers are going to fairly swiftly undercut each other aren't they? I can't decide whether this is ultimately going to make new games cheaper or more expensive.