Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (2013)

Started by spock rogers, July 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spock rogers

Viral site for the remake: http://www.omnicorp.com/

The vid on the site shows Ed-209 and some vague shots of Robocop. Ed-209 looks a bit too much like a Transformer, and those shots of what I assume are parts of Robocop look a bit too much like Iron Man.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: spock rogers on July 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM
Ed-209 looks a bit too much like a Transformer

What an utterly uninspired piece of design, there's no 'character' to it at all is there?

Small Man Big Horse

Gah, it's not E D 209, It's Ed 209, you fools! It looks like a horribly cheap piece of CGI too, I hope the finished version looks (and feels) a damn sight more realistic.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

ED stood for 'Enforcement Droid'.

Still though, to hell with this blasphemous remake.

Santa's Boyfriend

The only reason I have any interest in this remake is that it's being directed by the guy that made Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad), one of the most savagely critical movies I have ever seen.  I'd really recommend watching it, it's all about BOPE, the police units that are trained to enter the Favelas of Rio and fight with the drugs gangs.  Their training is apparently based on that of the SAS, but get far more combat experience than the SAS would ever normally get.  The movie is also filmed in the favelas themselves, something even City of God couldn't do.  It goes on to state that the cause of all the violence in Rio is not just the fault of those in the favelas, but is mostly the fault of the middle class who actually consume the drugs, and then expect an underfunded police force to keep them safe.  In effect the movie is pointing the finger at its own audience and saying "this is your fault".

Here's the first 8 minutes of the film, I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWn-uWEas9s

spock rogers

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on July 08, 2012, 01:02:56 AM
What an utterly uninspired piece of design, there's no 'character' to it at all is there?

It's ugly. One of the many things which made Transformers shit was the fact that they made the robots too realistic. When they were fighting they just looked like two piles of scrap metal rolling about, and that weren't helped with Bay's ADD editing. It's a science-FICTION film for fucks sake, give them a bit of character.

Feralkid

The ED 209 looks dull.  The original, with its large front cooling vent and side mounted gun turrets was marvellous.   Its look was that of a functional but poorly designed machine: a workable engineering concept falling prey to the same bigger is better design flaws which wreaked havoc on Detroit's auto-industry.

The new 209 lacks character and suggests an end of level boss from some justly forgotten Namco coin-up.

George Oscar Bluth II

Why the fuck does Robocop require a remake? Utter stupidity.

Santa's Boyfriend

Because we actually are privatising the police force to be run by multinational corporations, therefore it's no longer satire.

Pepotamo1985

Because the two sequels haven't done enough to destroy the love for the original Robocop?

Tiny Poster

Don't forget the kid-friendly TV series.

Replies From View

glitch

This and the remakes of Starship Troopers and Total Recall just makes me think one thing - stop remaking Verhoeven movies.

Puffin Chunks

I didn't realise they were remaking this.

The original Robocop is about as close to perfect as they could have got it. I am going to pretend that this isn't happening (enforced studio cuts for gratuitous violence notwithstanding).

No doubt this will be PG-13.

And YES SMBH, it's fucking Ed. Ed as in Eddie, the bunch of no nothing idiots.

I don't care who is directing it (and I have been meaning to check out Elite Force for sometime) there is no way this will hold a candle to the original. I assume that this is his Hollywood debut? Such a shame that he couldn't get involved in an original screenplay as his reputation is now tarnished for me, regardless of how good a job he does on this.

This has upset me greatly. I am going to lock myself in a dark cupboard and cry myself to sleep.

Johnny Textface

Verhoeven has said he would be interested in seeing the Total Recall remake as the Colin Farrell character is apparently much closer to the version in the Dick book and hasn't been twisted around something Schwarzenegger shaped.

A positive thing about the Robopcop remake is they've cast the guy who plays Holder in AMC's The Killing as Murphy. He's very good in that. But otherwise meh.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on July 08, 2012, 10:26:10 AM
The only reason I have any interest in this remake is that it's being directed by the guy that made Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad), one of the most savagely critical movies I have ever seen.

Yep, excellent film, and really brutal (the "microwave" scene in particular). Apparently the sequel is even better, might have to watch that tonight.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: Johnny Textface on July 08, 2012, 04:28:07 PM
Verhoeven has said he would be interested in seeing the Total Recall remake as the Colin Farrell character is apparently much closer to the version in the Dick book and hasn't been twisted around something Schwarzenegger shaped.

But the Dick short story is a light comic tale, apart from the implanting memories bit, it's a world away from the film. The new one is very much a remake of the film.

Cohaagen

Yes, exactly. In the original PKD short story the protagonist is a nine-stone weakling named Quail, a role naturally suited to tall, dark, muscular Irish actors who tape themselves pumping Playboy Bunnies. Shit. There isn't even a fucking character called Cohaagen in it.

It's all very depressing. Senhor Padilha may have laid an impressive egg in his police movie, certainly, but I would have far more respect for his credentials if he had the daring to stay in Brazil and make original, vital, Portugese-language action movies in an effort to develop a South American vernacular rather than opt into a system that is terminally ill as far as action/sci-fi picture ideas are concerned. Taking another foreign import as an example, Nimrod Antal made a very good movie with Kontroll, but it was clear that Predators was, at best, refried vomit compared to the original two pictures.

Incidentally, I've always felt that Robocop 2 is a lot better than people reckon. This priceless scene is worth any number of shit contemporary action flicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJDztqCG91g

NUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: glitch on July 08, 2012, 03:17:44 PM
This and the remakes of Starship Troopers and Total Recall just makes me think one thing - stop remaking Verhoeven movies.

They can remake Showgirls if they want.

AsparagusTrevor

If only they could demake Showgirls.

Replies From View

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 08, 2012, 11:23:23 PM
If only they could demake Showgirls.

Demakes are a luscious concept.

Dear BrothersSiblings,

We are sorry to inform you that your sequels were utter shite, and as such they are about to be deloaded and devoluted respectively.

Yours faithfully,
Warner Siblings[nb]Even after the quibble over Casablanca the Marx Brothers remain better than you cunts.[/nb]Brothers Studios.

Blumf

Showgirls is class, you lot just don't get it!

As for the utterly pointless remake of Robocop, I think The Asylum production company has more artistic credibility than mainstream Hollywood now.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on July 08, 2012, 10:26:10 AM
The only reason I have any interest in this remake is that it's being directed by the guy that made Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad), one of the most savagely critical movies I have ever seen. 

The same guy who made the hikacked bus documentary? That does make me more interested in this remake (as that was awesome and I seem to remember this Elite Squad movie being recommended when I mentioned it, unless I've got it mixed up). The original was a Judge Dredd rip-off in many ways and is now timed to be released the same time as the new Judge Dredd movie?

QuoteShowgirls is class, you lot just don't get it!
Damn straight.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Dead kate moss on July 09, 2012, 12:37:41 AM
The same guy who made the hikacked bus documentary? That does make me more interested in this remake (as that was awesome and I seem to remember this Elite Squad movie being recommended when I mentioned it, unless I've got it mixed up). The original was a Judge Dredd rip-off in many ways and is now timed to be released the same time as the new Judge Dredd movie?
Damn straight.

Yeah it's the same guy, he was going to make a documentary about BOPE as the follow-up, but realised that there was no real way to film it without putting himself and his crew in such danger that one or more of them would probably be killed.  So he made a semi-fictional movie about it instead, setting it at the most absurd period of the Favelas, where the pope was going to visit and had insisted on staying in an area of the favelas - meaning BOPE had to clear (ie massacre) the surrounding neighbourhoods in order to ensure his safety.  The movie was banned when it came out, and there was even talk of arresting the director for some trumped up reason (in reality due to its open portrayal of corrupt police as being the norm), but the movie got onto the internet, and became one of the most widely seen films in Brazil, so widely seen that there was literally no point in maintaining the ban.

So yeah, the director has my respect, which is why I'm surprised he would go to Hollywood and remake Robocop.  But he clearly has a strong social conscience, which may mean that it'll be a great film.  If you have to remake Robocop, he's the right kind of director to do it.  But then there's a long history of interesting directors going to Hollywood and making films that are really not that great.  (Jean-Pierre Jeunet making Alien Resurrection?)

Robocop was indeed written because the writer had wanted to get the rights to a Judge Dredd movie, but hadn't been able to.  It was the reason another seven years or so went by before we got an actual Dredd movie, and possibly why there was so little satire in it.  Thankfully this Dredd movie will be out first.

mbedd

It's so frustrating seeing another good film getting remade with charmless effects and watered down ideas.
Why they want him to look like a ninja I have no idea.
I know it might turn out OK, and I shouldn't judge it until I see it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a 12 certificate, complete with happy meal action figures with marketing like this...

In some ways that would be justifiable in a weird way, a completely kid friendly version would give it a purpose.
If it gets half cocked semi violent 15 certificate version, then I would find that more offensive.

Crabwalk

Did you create that mbedd? Because if you did; congratulations. You just won Wimblewrong.

mbedd

Too much effort for a cheap gag yet again I'm afraid. Blame Biggy for getting me obsessed with Breakfast cereal mascots

Replies From View

Quote from: mbedd on July 17, 2012, 10:07:12 PM
Too much effort for a cheap gag yet again I'm afraid. Blame Biggy for getting me obsessed with Breakfast cereal mascots

It's very good.

The Masked Unit

Aye, it's fucking great, that.