Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (2013)

Started by spock rogers, July 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

They don't sound wrong headed at all. I like a lot of what's there, the constant changing of robo's appearance depending on consumer feedback, the out sourcing to china, these are things that a large company does to it's product.

What's wrong headed is slating a movie before one frame of film has been shot, based on an unconfirmed version of the script by a cunt doing a twitter read through.

spock rogers

Some of those details don't sound as wacky as McWeeny is making out. This is a man who recently gave good reviews to the Total Recall remake and Expendables 2, so I certainly wouldn't trust his opinion, (especially when he can't be arsed reading past page 55.)

Feralkid

So meta references to keeping Robocop rated PG13, flying visits to warzones a la Iron Man, and dissing the not at all dated and still basically awesome original Robo suit all sound okay to you chaps?

I realise one can't judge a finished film based on a few tweets about the script but those ideas are terrible.

"Outsourced to China." Does that happen with defence products?  Hell no.  And the constant changes of appearance are likely intended to make the franchise more toyetic.   More Roboguises equals more Robo toys.   

Operty1

You're right. This film is fucking terrible. I hate the way they have made it a pg13 cash in with toys, where's the violence and satire of the original? Where's Peter weller and the fella that ended up playing a doctor in ER that had a helicopter land on him? That scene where robocop went for an oil piss? What was that about? The only thing I liked about this remake was when robo got all happy around the campfire after graduating Police Academy, and started playing the saxophone. But even that was derivative of Tackleberry.

'What a load of robotic cock' (reviewed by feralkid months before production, based on twitter comments)

Blah blah blah blah

Feralkid

Quote from: spock rogers on August 15, 2012, 08:50:49 PM
Some of those details don't sound as wacky as McWeeny is making out. This is a man who recently gave good reviews to the Total Recall remake and Expendables 2, so I certainly wouldn't trust his opinion, (especially when he can't be arsed reading past page 55.)

He gave Expendables 2 a B- and Total Recall a C+.    Hardly rave reviews.   And in his later tweets he does talk about the script as a whole, suggesting he did read the whole thing.   

I will concede that the focus group concept is a good idea for a joke but dissing the original film's design work, as the scene purportedly does, seems ill-advised indeed.  Yeah, the new Robo will be more extreme and in your face!   Not like that old-fangled one you already knew and loved.    One is reminded of Warner Bros awful extreme take on their Looney Tunes characters from a few years ago, as mocked here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivzp9wmrcwE

spock rogers

Quote from: Feralkid on August 17, 2012, 06:30:47 PM
He gave Expendables 2 a B- and Total Recall a C+.    Hardly rave reviews.   And in his later tweets he does talk about the script as a whole, suggesting he did read the whole thing.

It's just the attitude he's got in those tweets, it's like he decided he was gonna slag it off no matter what it was like. Plus the fact that he slags the original Total Recall in his review of the remake. How dare he!

Feralkid

Well that's tweets for you.   Good for drive-by snarking, bad for longer thoughtful ruminations on things.   And well yes, he's being self-regarding and announcing that he's soooo plugged in that he's got a copy of the script.   Still sounded like some valid concerns mind you.   

And yes, nobody gets to slag off the original Total Recall, it's one of the most gloriously insane movies of all time.  Part of me still wants to visit the alternate universe where the Cronenberg version happened but I doubt it would have anything to match the sight of Ah-nold in drag.   

Tiny Poster

Sounds to me like it's a bit of self-reflexive satire.

Slaaaaabs

AsparagusTrevor

My god, that looks so damn cheap!

eluc55

He looks like Judge Dredd.

Tiny Poster

Why... why does he have robotic abs?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

olliebean

He looks like he's in some fuckin' Batman wannabe movie, and I'm 100% sure that's precisely why they've made him look like that, too.

Blumf

G.I Joe called, they want their power armour back:

Said the new Robocop movie could keep 'the crap, empty, money grab attempt' though, they have plenty of that.

El Unicornio, mang

It looks quite boring but then again the original design would look too 80s and impractical so I don't know how else they could do it really since they seem to be going for realism.

Phil_A

I suppose in way it's closer to the original Robocop's origins in a retooled Judge Dredd script, but yeah, it still looks like shit.

Slaaaaabs

The original did a great job of making Robocop appear completely inhuman until the faceplate was removed from the head and you saw the rest of Murphy's face underneath. This looks like a fella in some armour.

Rev

Looks shite, but the pictures aren't from the actual filming of the actual film, but from some test or other.  There's some speculation that this is the underlay that'll have stuff stuck on to it.

Feralkid

Unicorn, there's nothing impractical or particularly dated looking about the original Robocop design.  It looks like an actual mechanical object.   There are pistons and visible pivots. Detailing which suggests a machine.   This, this looks like pants.

madhair60

Replies From View

Just looks like plain old rubbish to me.  A bloke in protective "armour" that is actually rubber, à la Chris Nolan's Batman.

ziggy starbucks

looks pretty good to me

I'm sure I had something important to do today...

DocDaneeka

Sadly Ziggy, you have fallen for a crudely made photoshop. Here's the real picture:

ziggy starbucks

I think we've all been duped by some crafty bugger on the production team of the new film, teasing us with these badly constructed photoshop images

I think this is the real one, but those sly ones are probably 10 steps ahead of us with their carefully crafted promotional tricks

Gradual Decline

Nuclear Optimism

Nuclear Optimism