Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (2013)

Started by spock rogers, July 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Really enjoyed this. Much better than I was expecting. Zipped along at a fair old whack and has lots of nice touches. Even better than Dredd I would say.

Junglist

Really rather disliked this. Its just nothing when it comes down to it. Haley is laughably bad, Keaton is a gigantic bag of meh, Oldman is solid, as is Jackson. Kinnaman (man crush ahoy) really doesn't have much to do bar be CGI'd up a lot of the time.

The action is quite terrible, the family orientated scenes are cheesy as all hell, the satire could've been written by a nine year old. Definitely not for me, and I'm normally gung-ho for any kind of actiony bollocks.

The positive, however, was there were only 6 of us in the cinema so free Premium seats, woo!

phantom_power

I watched the first ten minutes on youtube and it actually looked pretty good. Then Murphy showed up and I wasn't so sure. 

Best modification of the MGM lion ever as well

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2014, 10:08:55 PM
Best modification of the MGM lion ever as well

More detail, please.

phantom_power

Spoilers?

The roar of the lion has been turned into sam Jackson' vocal exercises before going on TV.  Funnier than it sounds

glitch

Oh. I was hoping it'd be ED209's little roar instead :(

Replies From View

ElTopo

Just saw this. If you think of it as a reboot of Street Hawk its bloody amazing.

phantom_power

I was surprised at how good it was. It does have some satirical bite but it lacks any of the humour of the original. A lot of the things I didn't like when watching the trailer and pre-release material make more sense in the context of the film. It is undoubtedly a different beast to the original and nowhere near as good but it is better than it needed to be. The action is a bit dull and the ending is meh but there are some interesting ideas and concepts in there as well

Van Dammage

This thread just reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtQQubjly0

"I thought i was the only prick in a T-shirt"
"I'm a prick too."

Canted_Angle

Did I imagine a mention of Weyland Yutani in this towards the end? I can't find anythign about it online which is strange as I imagine the Prometheus/ Alien geeks would be all over it.

Goldentony

I skipped through this yesterday to make sure it worked and I can tell you - Robocop running and jumping made him look like a right tithead. Not the idea of a big fuck off robot running about and twatting himself over big shitting army fences, because I can accept in the context of the film he's supposed to be some mega arse fucking turbo cunt with cobras made of drones coming out of a hole where his tits should be and a big gun for a cock, but literally the fucking effects and the way it looks are amateur looking dogshit.

Benjaminos

I really wanted to dislike this, but the best I could manage was vague indifference. Two hours passed, some things happened with a cyborg, my attention was just about maintained.

Some weird choices in it though. Hocus Pocus complete with yodelling as the soundtrack to one of the action scenes? Why did they keep Murphy's hand alive and attach it to his spine/lungs with a bit of aluminium tubing? Why get someone as good as Michael K. Williams to play Louis, and then have them only in the film for ten minutes or so?

thraxx

Quote from: ElTopo on May 02, 2014, 12:29:28 AM
Just saw this. If you think of it as a reboot of Stephen Hawking its bloody amazing.

Edited for accuracy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Benjaminos on May 15, 2014, 01:21:07 PM
I really wanted to dislike this, but the best I could manage was vague indifference. Two hours passed, some things happened with a cyborg, my attention was just about maintained.

Some weird choices in it though. Hocus Pocus complete with yodelling as the soundtrack to one of the action scenes? Why did they keep Murphy's hand alive and attach it to his spine/lungs with a bit of aluminium tubing? Why get someone as good as Michael K. Williams to play Louis, and then have them only in the film for ten minutes or so?

Focus was a great choice for the action scene. The only problem was that it was too low in the sound mix. It shouldn't have had people talking over it.

They always get esteemed actors to play bit parts in these big films to give them an air of legitimacy. Look at Cranston and co in Godzilla. And Mark Whaaaaalberg in Transformers

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2014, 02:50:58 PM
It shouldn't have had people talking over it.

Or making popcorn munching sounds over it.  CINEMA CUNTS.

glitch

Quote from: Benjaminos on May 15, 2014, 01:21:07 PM
Why did they keep Murphy's hand alive and attach it to his spine/lungs with a bit of aluminium tubing?

Because as part of the commentary on drone warfare, this was supposed to be "the trigger is still pulled by the hand of a flesh and bone American citizen". Except the explanation bit was no doubt cut.

I'm very interested in what might come from a director's cut of this. Supposedly the director said that for every 10 ideas he wanted to put in, only one made it into the final film.

Anyway here's an interesting link about the original movie, that helps cement it as one of the greatest (action) movies ever made: RoboCop (1987) Is an Almost Perfectly Symmetrical Film

El Unicornio, mang

I thought this was decent. There were some quite interesting moments, I particularly liked the Tin Man song playing during the training shootout scene. As has been said though, the bad guys weren't memorable at all, unlike the ones in the original.