Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (2013)

Started by spock rogers, July 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuclear Optimism

simply down to these pictures, this has become my favourite thread!

As I have no photoshop skills, I request either a:

H.E.L.P.E.R picture

or

Inspector Gadget

ithanku

Replies From View

Surely the thread needs this lad in?

Crabwalk

Crabwalk

FFS THE ORIGINAL IMAGE WAS JUST A TEST SHOT GUYS.

They've put proper mechanical armour on now.

DocDaneeka

I've been a fan since Robocop 3 and I'm absolutely disgusted with the direction they have taken.

ziggy starbucks

hmm don't like the look of this. Getting a bloke in a suit of armour and a bobby's hat to pretend he's a police robot suggests serious budget issues. This film might be a dud

ziggy starbucks

rumours abound that the whole robocop element of the script may be shelved for a remake of Cannon and Ball's hyper-violent 80's social satire Boys in Blue, where Bobby Ball is violently killed by a drugs gang before being converted into a crime fighting cyborg. Tommy cannon is his old police partner who struggles to accept the dramatic changes that his friend has undergone

Operty1

I'm hoping that the picture is just Alex murphy in his swat suit, before he gets blown to bits.

Why a human right hand? Seems a bit daft to make him a complete robot other than his face and right hand.

Or, reading online that he goes through various revisions, perhaps he starts off as more human based, and slowly has various parts removed and replaced. A proper destruction of his humanity.

Or it's a shit rubber suit. The original suit had real weight to it, like a walking tank. I also liked that Peter weller trained with a mime to exagerate his movements.

phantom_power

Robocop's walk is one of the best things about the original version of the character. I still turn my head first before going round a sharp corner

Replies From View

Quote from: Operty1 on September 19, 2012, 12:07:07 AM
Why a human right hand? Seems a bit daft to make him a complete robot other than his face and right hand.

To make him an approximate opposite of:

DukeDeMondo

RoboCop is a fuckin masterpiece. It's astonishing. If Chris Morris ever made a sci-fi action picture, that's the kind of thing he'd be aiming for, and if he got within six thousand feet of the light-up bubbles on the backs of its trainers, I'd be applauding from now till doomsday. It's just brilliant. Among the blackest, bleakest, funniest and sharpest satires ever produced in Hollywood, or anywhere else for that matter, and it rocks like a billion and ninety-one acres of solid fuck from start till end.

Initially, I couldn't have given less of a shit about this remake if I'd been sitting with an arse full of nothing but old balloons. But the more I hear about it, the more intrigued I am. It's never going to touch the original, it just won't, but if I can live knowing that RoboCop 3 exists, not to mention all that utter dung that was made for telly, then I can live with this.

All the things that had McWeeny tweetin the bejeesus off himself re: the script actually got me really interested. All those "srsly??? wtf the fuck???" type comments made no sense to me whatsoever, for every detail sounded EXACTLY like the kind of thing you would expect to find in a RoboCop film that had even a hundredth of the wit and intelligence of the original. The China stuff, the focus-group, the changing armour... all of it sounded pretty near to spot-on to me. Pitch-perfect, even.

So I don't see the problem. It might be crud, but anybody who thinks the script details we've heard tell of are in any way out-of-step with the original film need to watch the original again. That's not to say the tone won't be a continent-off, it could well be. Plus, the truly deranged and dangerous feel of the original will be hard to replicate, especially if they're aiming for some sort of pishy PG-13 rating. But to my ear-balls, it sounds like they've got it, in a way that it hasn't been got since about halfway through Robocop 2. The studio could still fuck it up, but again, we've no way of knowing that yet.

I posted a chunk of that rant on them Ain't It Cools, but posted it again here for I had fuck all else to say about anything and wanted to be part of the gang. I got me Ma to sew Neil's face onto the back of my left ankle an everythin. Also, them photoshops is brilliant, them photoshops up above, there. Laughed my hoop-wrinkles right straight.

Toast

I'm quietly optimistic for the new one, I'd love to see a different take on it and there's room in my heart for two great Robocop films.

On the subject of Robocop 2, one of the things I did like about it is that they played around with the prime directives. The Asimov robot stories always got so much mileage out of the three laws and it was interesting to see how tweaking them affected Robocop. From what I remember they went OTT and he just acted like a lunatic instead of it affecting his behaviour in a more nuanced way. I've just looked some up and it makes sense, he ended up with thousands of extra directives ranging from "Serve the public trust" to "Avoid premature value judgments" and "Don't walk across a ballroom floor swinging your arms".

DukeDeMondo

Heh, and my favourite: Talk pure loud about how you were never into Springsteen until you heard Nebraska.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 20, 2012, 12:51:05 PM
I can live knowing that RoboCop 3 exists

To my mind, that film is a lot better than RoboCop 2. Still the absolute drizzling shits, of course, but a lot better than its predecessor.

Replies From View

All I can remember of Robocop 3 is a kid having toys of the Ed-209 and then later hacking into the real one before doing a Culkin fist-pump.  I think I stopped watching a bit after that.

mbedd

A child friendly rating for a Robocop film, yeehar.
I shall now add to that picture mashup with my own unoriginal and uninspired pun in celebration of such good news.

Yes it's Po-bocop.

Operty1

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2012, 11:16:44 AM
All I can remember of Robocop 3 is a kid having toys of the Ed-209 and then later hacking into the real one before doing a Culkin fist-pump.  I think I stopped watching a bit after that.

I saw Robo 3 about 15+ years ago. All i can remember is, wondering how OCP could demolish peoples houses while they were still living in them, and Robo in his special jet pack suspended on wires, swinging around an office like a swing ball.

The director never directed again i believe.

On Robo 2, Peter Weller has said there were scenes shot that he was surprised weren't in the final cut. Scenes revolving around the human/machine issue. I can remember seeing one ages ago on youtube, where you see Robocop walking around the police station, past a ladies shower block and looking at the women showering, and seeming a bit confused.

Operty1

Robo 2 deleted scenes now I'm back home

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CU2zjgjVl0

The quality is not the best.

El Unicornio, mang

That clip led me to this interesting on-set interview with Peter Weller which, as the top commenter mentions, is remarkably HD looking for a video from 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx_lqQLzJNg

Operty1

That is a great interview, you get the impression from it that they never considered it as just a bloke in a suit B-movie, but something more artistically inclined with multiple levels. Interpretation is everything. One director can look at the source material and deliver Robocop, another can look at the source material and deliver Robocop 3.

small_world

Quote from: phantom_power on September 19, 2012, 08:55:23 AM
Robocop's walk is one of the best things about the original version of the character. I still turn my head first before going round a sharp corner

If there's an empty lager can on the floor, I still step on it and let it crumple around my foot. Then do the Robocop walk.

Crabwalk

I still say 'Give the man a hand' whenever I shoot a man's hand off.

Toast

I still say "Does it hurt?" in a falsetto voice whenever I see someone in pain.

The Masked Unit

I still go "Eugggggghhhh!" when I stagger from my vehicle having driven through some toxic waste.

Replies From View

I still say "I'd buy that for a dollar!!" whenever I see some jiggling booty.