Author Topic: Mubi.com  (Read 15136 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: Mubi.com
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »
I got round to Ema last night. Part of my liked it as a stylised spectacle and of something a bit different but part of me didn't really give a shit about anyone in it.

« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »
Recently enjoyed Our Little Sister after Sin Agog's recommendation, No Greater Love (a documentary about Carmelite Nuns in Notting Hill) and Terri (a comedy drama about outsiders at an American school), the last two from the UK Library.

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »
Thanks to the "leavingmubiuk" bot for reminding me to watch The Lunchbox.

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2020, 03:44:47 AM »
Our Little Sister's just been added.  It's nothing seismic like some of the other mubies, but it is a totally charming, well-observed little drama if you want something on the sweeter side.

Just watched this.  Don't think I've ever seen another drama that is quite so undramatic, or where potential conflict is avoided or defused so easily.  It wasn't bland exactly, but it did come close, especially with that syrupy music score.  But there were some very moving scenes and it was always very watchable, and I like seeing details of day-to-day life in Japan.

And God, but it made me hungry.  There is so much food in the film, and it all looked delicious.

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
Just watched this.  Don't think I've ever seen another drama that is quite so undramatic, or where potential conflict is avoided or defused so easily.  It wasn't bland exactly, but it did come close, especially with that syrupy music score.  But there were some very moving scenes and it was always very watchable, and I like seeing details of day-to-day life in Japan.

And God, but it made me hungry.  There is so much food in the film, and it all looked delicious.

I'd call it "low-key" rather than bland. It's very naturalistic, the initial revelations being met with mild surprise rather than histrionics and giving way to the characters' organic development as a family. Maybe not Kore-eda's absolute best but heartfelt and nicely observed.

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Just watched Fellini's I Vitelloni for the first time in 15 years at least.  It was as good as I remembered, a wonderful evocation of young men refusing to face up to no longer being young.  Lots of good scenes, but the centerpiece at the carnival is especially superb.

A few months ago his debut The White Sheikh was on Mubi and I hated that.  The characters were ridiculous and the farcical elements just fell flat.  Incredible that such a mature and well realised film as I Vitelloni would follow just a year later.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2020, 12:20:20 AM »
Did anyone watch Wadjda?

I thought it was excellent. Really liked the stark contrast between how intimate home/family/friend scenes were versus their strict regime out the house and the constant strict rules from the authoritarian teachers etc.

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2020, 01:06:42 AM »
I saw it in the cinema when it came out.  Very interesting for the glimpses we get of Saudi life.  The story itself isn't that remarkable.

A few days after I saw it I was telling a friend about the scenes of burqa-clad ladies shopping in high-end fashion boutiques, and how the gorgeous dresses they buy there will be seen only by their husbands, and she (note: she) said, "Ah, isn't that romantic?"

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2020, 09:29:22 PM »
Just noticed the firestick app has updated itself and they've added the library feature now!

chveik

• I feel like swimmin' in rat piss
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2020, 09:34:31 PM »
there's a lot of good stuff in the library

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »
So Long, My Son has just landed on Mubi. I'm stuck to the sofa recovering from kidney surgery so this is great news. I've been dying to see it.

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
So Long, My Son has just landed on Mubi. I'm stuck to the sofa recovering from kidney surgery so this is great news. I've been dying to see it.

Really lovely film that.

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
Does anyone else have problems with the mubi app? I have a fast internet connection and no other streaming apps ever buffers or stops for me but mubi does it all the time. Don't know if it's their servers overloading or what but it is VERY annoying.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2020, 05:13:40 PM »
I find that happens ONLY with films on their final day. I assumed this meant it buffers due to volume of demand.

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2020, 06:30:00 PM »
That doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2020, 10:50:32 PM »
That doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

I know.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2020, 11:02:30 PM »
Occasionally but I thought it was more to my firestick just being laggy and possibly needing a reboot.

Tags: