Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mubi.com

Started by Jim Jarmusch, July 09, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I got round to Ema last night. Part of my liked it as a stylised spectacle and of something a bit different but part of me didn't really give a shit about anyone in it.

Recently enjoyed Our Little Sister after Sin Agog's recommendation, No Greater Love (a documentary about Carmelite Nuns in Notting Hill) and Terri (a comedy drama about outsiders at an American school), the last two from the UK Library.

mjwilson

Thanks to the "leavingmubiuk" bot for reminding me to watch The Lunchbox.

Keebleman

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 09, 2020, 01:38:02 PM
Our Little Sister's just been added.  It's nothing seismic like some of the other mubies, but it is a totally charming, well-observed little drama if you want something on the sweeter side.

Just watched this.  Don't think I've ever seen another drama that is quite so undramatic, or where potential conflict is avoided or defused so easily.  It wasn't bland exactly, but it did come close, especially with that syrupy music score.  But there were some very moving scenes and it was always very watchable, and I like seeing details of day-to-day life in Japan.

And God, but it made me hungry.  There is so much food in the film, and it all looked delicious.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Keebleman on June 05, 2020, 03:44:47 AM
Just watched this.  Don't think I've ever seen another drama that is quite so undramatic, or where potential conflict is avoided or defused so easily.  It wasn't bland exactly, but it did come close, especially with that syrupy music score.  But there were some very moving scenes and it was always very watchable, and I like seeing details of day-to-day life in Japan.

And God, but it made me hungry.  There is so much food in the film, and it all looked delicious.

I'd call it "low-key" rather than bland. It's very naturalistic, the initial revelations being met with mild surprise rather than histrionics and giving way to the characters' organic development as a family. Maybe not Kore-eda's absolute best but heartfelt and nicely observed.

Keebleman

Just watched Fellini's I Vitelloni for the first time in 15 years at least.  It was as good as I remembered, a wonderful evocation of young men refusing to face up to no longer being young.  Lots of good scenes, but the centerpiece at the carnival is especially superb.

A few months ago his debut The White Sheikh was on Mubi and I hated that.  The characters were ridiculous and the farcical elements just fell flat.  Incredible that such a mature and well realised film as I Vitelloni would follow just a year later.

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone watch Wadjda?

I thought it was excellent. Really liked the stark contrast between how intimate home/family/friend scenes were versus their strict regime out the house and the constant strict rules from the authoritarian teachers etc.

Keebleman

I saw it in the cinema when it came out.  Very interesting for the glimpses we get of Saudi life.  The story itself isn't that remarkable.

A few days after I saw it I was telling a friend about the scenes of burqa-clad ladies shopping in high-end fashion boutiques, and how the gorgeous dresses they buy there will be seen only by their husbands, and she (note: she) said, "Ah, isn't that romantic?"

Sebastian Cobb

Just noticed the firestick app has updated itself and they've added the library feature now!

chveik

there's a lot of good stuff in the library

Puce Moment

So Long, My Son has just landed on Mubi. I'm stuck to the sofa recovering from kidney surgery so this is great news. I've been dying to see it.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 25, 2020, 09:36:38 AM
So Long, My Son has just landed on Mubi. I'm stuck to the sofa recovering from kidney surgery so this is great news. I've been dying to see it.

Really lovely film that.

Armin Meiwes

Does anyone else have problems with the mubi app? I have a fast internet connection and no other streaming apps ever buffers or stops for me but mubi does it all the time. Don't know if it's their servers overloading or what but it is VERY annoying.

Puce Moment

I find that happens ONLY with films on their final day. I assumed this meant it buffers due to volume of demand.

mjwilson

That doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

Puce Moment

Quote from: mjwilson on July 27, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
That doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

I know.

Sebastian Cobb

Occasionally but I thought it was more to my firestick just being laggy and possibly needing a reboot.

buttgammon

Apologies for the bump. I get Mubi free through my university and I have Amazon Prime. Is there any way to sync up the subscriptions so I can watch Mubi through Prime without paying extra? I can watch the whole range of Mubi films on my laptop but I'm only getting the limited range through the app, whereas I can see the whole range would be accessible on the Prime app.

thugler

Watched 'space dogs'. Full of animal cruelty including one scene with a cat which made us turn the fucking thing off.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buttgammon on September 22, 2020, 03:34:42 PM
Apologies for the bump. I get Mubi free through my university and I have Amazon Prime. Is there any way to sync up the subscriptions so I can watch Mubi through Prime without paying extra?
I think not because it's a premium feature of Amazon unfortunately, I found similar things when thinking about subscribing to BFI Player. I actually want the ability to run things outside of Amazon preferably though.

Quote from: buttgammon on September 22, 2020, 03:34:42 PM
I can watch the whole range of Mubi films on my laptop but I'm only getting the limited range through the app, whereas I can see the whole range would be accessible on the Prime app.

However this sounds like you can't see the Library in the App? You're using a Fire stick yeah? If you scroll left (towards the newest) films a sidebar should pop out with giving you the option to select the 'Library'.

If you don't see that you might need to manually update the app through the firestick settings. I appear to be on version 5.2.2.

buttgammon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2020, 09:28:31 PM
I think not because it's a premium feature of Amazon unfortunately, I found similar things when thinking about subscribing to BFI Player. I actually want the ability to run things outside of Amazon preferably though.

However this sounds like you can't see the Library in the App? You're using a Fire stick yeah? If you scroll left (towards the newest) films a sidebar should pop out with giving you the option to select the 'Library'.

If you don't see that you might need to manually update the app through the firestick settings. I appear to be on version 5.2.2.

I'm on a PS4 unfortunately so that might not work, but I'll still see if there are updates available. It's worth a punt. Thanks!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buttgammon on September 22, 2020, 09:45:05 PM
I'm on a PS4 unfortunately so that might not work, but I'll still see if there are updates available. It's worth a punt. Thanks!

Unlucky, it looks like it's still in the 'soon' stage I'm afraid.

https://help.mubi.com/article/225-what-devices-is-library-available-on

QuoteCurrently LIBRARY is available on the web, the Android mobile app and on the iOS (13 and above) and tvOS app, as well as on the Android TV and Fire TV apps. Other apps will follow soon.

buttgammon

Thanks for that. Hurry up Mubi!

zomgmouse

Some films that showed up in certain festivals but practically nowhere else make their way onto MUBI. Not quite appropriate for the "non-new films" thread, so thought I'd put them here.

A few of these turn out to be quite decent. Here are some I've seen recently:

Nova Lituania. Lithuanian historical semi-drama about a geography professor who comes up with a plan for a "backup Lithuania" at the start of WWII.
The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea. Greek small-town procedural featuring an embittered police chief investigating a hanging.
Music and Apocalypse. German deadpan comedy about academia and climate.
Burning Ghost. French magical realist romance about a guy who dies and comes back as a ghost to help people who can see him across to the afterlife; he then encounters a woman who remembers him.

Midas

To celebrate their 14th anniversary, Mubi is m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶i̶l̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ offering a free 24hr subscription in all regions on Sunday 14th February from 00:01-23:59.

Pauper no more. Rags to riches for 24 hrs. Finally I can be somebody.

Keebleman

Really?  I've just clicked on Trouble Every Day and Long Goodbye, and the former is available for a fee while the other isn't available at all.

Midas

Quote from: Keebleman on February 14, 2021, 02:35:10 AM
Really?  I've just clicked on Trouble Every Day and Long Goodbye, and the former is available for a fee while the other isn't available at all.

Apologies, I should have been more precise with my language. Mubi is giving everyone a free 24hr subscription. Rentals may still incur an additional fee. I suspect this is to serve as a constant reminder for paupers like myself to remain in our lanes. I know my place...

zomgmouse

Digger. Greek father-son drama, emotionally engaging and builds up quite powerfully from what is essentially a rather simple premise (aging father lives by himself in the woods, company is trying to buy him out, son comes back after mother dies). Really impressed by this.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 16, 2021, 08:01:54 AM
Digger. Greek father-son drama, emotionally engaging and builds up quite powerfully from what is essentially a rather simple premise (aging father lives by himself in the woods, company is trying to buy him out, son comes back after mother dies). Really impressed by this.

I watched that last week as part of the online Gothenburg Film Festival and liked it. For a very low-key film it has a particularly striking and dramatic climax.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 16, 2021, 08:39:13 AM
I watched that last week as part of the online Gothenburg Film Festival and liked it. For a very low-key film it has a particularly striking and dramatic climax.

Yeah! Took me aback in a great way.