Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mubi.com

Started by Jim Jarmusch, July 09, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I have to say I've been using this noticeably less since the urgency of films expiring has gone away. Stopped checking it. I realise this is entirely my own problem though.

shagatha crustie

Nah me too. I'm sure there was a good reason for changing the model, but something about the time limit made me engage more often. Feels a bit like arty netflix now.

zomgmouse

There's still a lot of films that do expire, though. And for me personally I only signed up for three months, so that's my time limit!

Lost Oliver

I agree.

Although, the layout seems to havre remained the same on my PS4. It's only when I visit it on my laptop does it look different.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm glad they added search to the firetv app, finding a film in one of the categories on computer then trying to find it on app was hard.

rjd2

Thanks to the two posters who recommended Digger on the previous page , am curious has anyone seen Dead Pigs or Beginning?

mjwilson

Quote from: rjd2 on February 23, 2021, 08:48:54 PM
Thanks to the two posters who recommended Digger on the previous page , am curious has anyone seen Dead Pigs or Beginning?

Yes to both. Beginning is more unusual, some pretty slow scenes. I wasn't quite in the mood for it when I watched it.

Dead Pigs has got some dead pigs in it.

zomgmouse

Been meaning to see Dead Pigs but you can find it elsewhere so not a priority (trying to make the most of my three-month membership by watching things I can only find on MUBI).

Watched Radu Jude's latest, Uppercase Print. An interesting experiment in juxtaposition of staged police files and statements concerning the case of a teenager charged with political graffiti in Romania vs stock/archival footage of cultural artifacts, programmes, "person on the street" exposés, etc.

Blinder Data

thought I'd try to bring this thread back from the dead as I know there are a few Mubi users on here

i find that Mubi Go is definitely worth it if you pay the year in advance, though i see they've raised prices! in September i paid up front so it was effectively £10.99 per month - it's now £13.99.

still worth it if you use it to watch two films in a month though. not seen a duff film yet and thankfully it's been a pleasing mix of people-pleasing and more challenging films

also, top tip for people who live near but not in a major conurbation. by changing your location, you get access to previous films you might have missed (e.g. this week i have the choice of watching godzilla at my local retail park multiplex or femme at the arthouse cinema in the city)

not managed to use mubi itself much but as someone who loves going to the cinema and the impression that i'm saving money, it's great

non capisco

Yeah, I love the Mubi Go service. Coupled with Curzon Cult membership which is a film credit for every day of the year I am in London cinema paradise all year round, bebbeh!

Blinder Data

Public service announcement for anybody not already on Mubi Go

January deal: £99 for Mubi Go. Usually £168 apparently

Offer ends on Wednesday

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 15, 2023, 10:36:19 AMthought I'd try to bring this thread back from the dead as I know there are a few Mubi users on here

i find that Mubi Go is definitely worth it if you pay the year in advance, though i see they've raised prices! in September i paid up front so it was effectively £10.99 per month - it's now £13.99.

still worth it if you use it to watch two films in a month though. not seen a duff film yet and thankfully it's been a pleasing mix of people-pleasing and more challenging films

also, top tip for people who live near but not in a major conurbation. by changing your location, you get access to previous films you might have missed (e.g. this week i have the choice of watching godzilla at my local retail park multiplex or femme at the arthouse cinema in the city)

not managed to use mubi itself much but as someone who loves going to the cinema and the impression that i'm saving money, it's great

Is there a way of finding out where your free tickets would be for?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 08, 2024, 01:38:01 PMIs there a way of finding out where your free tickets would be for?

Yep - https://mubi.com/en/gb/go

If you install the app it'll figure out your location and tell you where's playing. If nowhere participating is showing the film they'll pick something different (the other week I saw Femme after whatever their featured film wasn't playing, which worked out nicely for me).

Although they've just updated the app and the qr-code is orange-on-grey instead of black on white now and the cinema staff really struggled to scan it.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2024, 01:40:54 PMYep - https://mubi.com/en/gb/go

If you install the app it'll figure out your location and tell you where's playing. If nowhere participating is showing the film they'll pick something different (the other week I saw Femme after whatever their featured film wasn't playing, which worked out nicely for me).

Although they've just updated the app and the qr-code is orange-on-grey instead of black on white now and the cinema staff really struggled to scan it.

Cheers. Looks like it's just the bigger cinemas/ cities near where I live. That's a shame.

Sebastian Cobb

Might depend on what the film is - check if Priscilla is actually showing at some of the smaller ones and come back on Friday as that's when it rolls over.

The website used to show next-weeks film as well but that seems to have gone with the update, progress!

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2024, 01:51:49 PMThe website used to show next-weeks film as well but that seems to have gone with the update, progress!

I'm about to compose an angry email about their stupid update

I would only recommend mubi go if you have an arthouse cinema not far from you that you can attend at your convenience. if you're somewhere remote you might be on slim pickings when the films with smaller releases are chosen. showcase cinemas take part in mubi go for some reason, helpful for those of us in the suburbs

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 08, 2024, 11:07:34 AMPublic service announcement for anybody not already on Mubi Go

January deal: £99 for Mubi Go. Usually £168 apparently

Offer ends on Wednesday

I got this 12 days ago, so maybe the £99 thing is even more worth taking!

QuoteHello,

Thank you for subscribing to MUBI GO. We wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to your subscription.

The price of MUBI GO is changing from £15.99/month to £18.99/month for all new members.

But not for you. Your bill will stay the same until March 2024.

With a ticket to the cinema every single week – plus full access to stream every single film on MUBI – MUBI GO is incredible value for the money.

And we are always working on ways to make what we bring you even better. Hand-picking more of the very best movies for you to see every week, and continuing to grow our extensive network of cinema partners.

If you have any questions at all, please just get in touch at support@mubi.com.

Thank you for loving great cinema, as much as we do.

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2024, 01:51:49 PMThe website used to show next-weeks film as well but that seems to have gone with the update, progress!

I think next week's film shows up late sometimes when the participating cinemas are still securing their schedules. I remember it happening a few times over the years before the app update.

Sebastian Cobb

Crossing my fingers it's for Poor Things!

Sebastian Cobb

Is it possible to buy yourself a gift card? I was poking around in the settings and can't see where to enter a code...

I guess I could set up another account but would prefer not to.

MrMealDeal

Has anyone noticed a drop in the quality of Mubi UK? They used to show a large number of recent world releases - I particularly liked their Latin American selection - but now the only new films are the ones they're distributing or producing themselves. I strongly suspect that their moving away from the one new film a day model was because it would show up the lack of variety in its selections.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MrMealDeal on January 09, 2024, 09:09:25 PMHas anyone noticed a drop in the quality of Mubi UK? They used to show a large number of recent world releases - I particularly liked their Latin American selection - but now the only new films are the ones they're distributing or producing themselves. I strongly suspect that their moving away from the one new film a day model was because it would show up the lack of variety in its selections.

They got rid of 'one new film a day' ages ago and shifted to 'ephemeral library with a daily featured film (that may stay on longer than 30 days)' but a while back they sacked off the featured thing as well*. They still have curated collections, which is nice, but I think they might be trying to obfuscate fewer selections a bit.

I've mentioned this before but I wrote a bot that summarised their daily film and provided ratings from rt, imdb etc. It broke thanks to Elon closing off most of the twitter api, but as I was getting round to repairing it (months later because I'm lazy) Mubi announced * so I figured it was pointless.

phantom_power

The Mubi channel on Amazon has a 30 day free trial at the moment, as does BFI

MrMealDeal

I check for new Mubi releases on Just Watch and it informs me that 24 films have been uploaded in the last 30 days, of which only two (How to Have Sex and a Spanish short) were released in the last 5 years. There's loads of filler that you might otherwise find on Amazon Prime like Natural Born Killers, Gosford Park and Gone Girl.

I actually cancelled my subscription in a fit of pique last night but slightly regret it because I still use Mubi Go. Do you have a link to the cheap subscription link, @Blinder Data?

Blinder Data

Quote from: MrMealDeal on January 10, 2024, 09:55:05 AMI actually cancelled my subscription in a fit of pique last night but slightly regret it because I still use Mubi Go. Do you have a link to the cheap subscription link, @Blinder Data?

https://mubi.com/en/promos/mubigo_nye

you might need a new email address to create a new account

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MrMealDeal on January 10, 2024, 09:55:05 AMI check for new Mubi releases on Just Watch and it informs me that 24 films have been uploaded in the last 30 days, of which only two (How to Have Sex and a Spanish short) were released in the last 5 years. There's loads of filler that you might otherwise find on Amazon Prime like Natural Born Killers, Gosford Park and Gone Girl.

I actually cancelled my subscription in a fit of pique last night but slightly regret it because I still use Mubi Go. Do you have a link to the cheap subscription link, @Blinder Data?

Did it offer you a discount for staying, they were doing that during lockdown.

MrMealDeal

Yes, I got a year for £113 which isn't too bad (couldn't use the £99 offer because my subscription runs until May).

And Poor Things is next week's Mubi Go film!

kngen

Has anyone subscribed to the Criterion Channel? $100 a year seems pretty good value for what they have on offer - is there a downside?

kitsofan34

https://mubi.com/en/derbyquad

3 months free. Just remember to cancel before the date is up.