Author Topic: Mubi.com  (Read 4895 times)

Lost Oliver

• Silver Member
  • Not while she's got Medicine Head on the phone
Re: Mubi.com
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
That's amazing, nice one.

NPC.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »
Resurrecting this because I have been a Mubi member for three weeks and think it's fab.  And cause I have just learned that Bergman's Smiles of a Summer's Night has been added to their roster today, and it's a terrific film.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:03 AM »
Resurrecting this because I have been a Mubi member for three weeks and think it's fab.  And cause I have just learned that Bergman's Smiles of a Summer's Night has been added to their roster today, and it's a terrific film.

Did you check out the Ruiz? It was a joy to see that on there!

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 01:06:10 AM »
Did you check out the Ruiz? It was a joy to see that on there!

No that one didn't appeal to me so much, but as it's being taken off tomorrow I may give it a go.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 08:13:41 AM »
This telenovela thing looks good.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
This telenovela thing looks good.

It's not the absolute best Ruiz (perhaps due being assembled after his death by Valeria Sarmiento, his editor/widow) but it has a lot of charm and intrigue. It's definitely a fair starting point if you haven't watched glories like City of Pirates.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
It's not the absolute best Ruiz (perhaps due being assembled after his death by Valeria Sarmiento, his editor/widow) but it has a lot of charm and intrigue. It's definitely a fair starting point if you haven't watched glories like City of Pirates.

Cool, nah not knowingly seen any of his work.

Are you lot using Mubi Go as well? It used to be free but I think they're charging now; it still pays for itself even if you use it once a month though. I probably use it about 3x a month given not everything is shown and some don't interest me.

Lost Oliver

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
What's so good about Ruiz? Can yous name anyone he's similar too?

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
My main complaint about Mubi (my only complaint really) is the subtitling on their films.  They use a white, thin Courier typeface that can be really hard to read, especially in black and white films.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
My main complaint about Mubi (my only complaint really) is the subtitling on their films.  They use a white, thin Courier typeface that can be really hard to read, especially in black and white films.

Must depend on the device? on my fire stick it puts a back blackground behind the text like the ceefax subtitles did.

When I first signed up, turning on subtitles would direct you to a different stream with burnt in subtitles.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 12:07:23 AM »
What's so good about Ruiz? Can yous name anyone he's similar too?

He appeared to be having more fun getting his arthouse on than almost any of his contemporaries.  I have a weirdly specific kink for artsy fantasy/adventure films, and a good chunk of his filmography is just that.  Albeit covered in many, many layers of blinding mist.  The first thing I ever watched by him was the three-part miniseries Manuel on the Island of Wonders and it got me hooked.  Admittedly, not where most people would start.

Lost Oliver

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:18:44 AM »
Thanks man. I'll download and watch.

I saw Three Lives and Only One Death when it was on Mubi a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Tags: