Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mubi.com

Started by Jim Jarmusch, July 09, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

That's amazing, nice one.

NPC.

Keebleman

Resurrecting this because I have been a Mubi member for three weeks and think it's fab.  And cause I have just learned that Bergman's Smiles of a Summer's Night has been added to their roster today, and it's a terrific film.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Keebleman on January 15, 2020, 10:11:50 PM
Resurrecting this because I have been a Mubi member for three weeks and think it's fab.  And cause I have just learned that Bergman's Smiles of a Summer's Night has been added to their roster today, and it's a terrific film.

Did you check out the Ruiz? It was a joy to see that on there!

Keebleman

Quote from: gout_pony on January 16, 2020, 12:38:03 AM
Did you check out the Ruiz? It was a joy to see that on there!

No that one didn't appeal to me so much, but as it's being taken off tomorrow I may give it a go.

Sebastian Cobb

This telenovela thing looks good.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 16, 2020, 08:13:41 AM
This telenovela thing looks good.

It's not the absolute best Ruiz (perhaps due being assembled after his death by Valeria Sarmiento, his editor/widow) but it has a lot of charm and intrigue. It's definitely a fair starting point if you haven't watched glories like City of Pirates.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gout_pony on January 16, 2020, 10:58:58 AM
It's not the absolute best Ruiz (perhaps due being assembled after his death by Valeria Sarmiento, his editor/widow) but it has a lot of charm and intrigue. It's definitely a fair starting point if you haven't watched glories like City of Pirates.

Cool, nah not knowingly seen any of his work.

Are you lot using Mubi Go as well? It used to be free but I think they're charging now; it still pays for itself even if you use it once a month though. I probably use it about 3x a month given not everything is shown and some don't interest me.

Lost Oliver

What's so good about Ruiz? Can yous name anyone he's similar too?

Keebleman

My main complaint about Mubi (my only complaint really) is the subtitling on their films.  They use a white, thin Courier typeface that can be really hard to read, especially in black and white films.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Keebleman on February 13, 2020, 04:17:58 PM
My main complaint about Mubi (my only complaint really) is the subtitling on their films.  They use a white, thin Courier typeface that can be really hard to read, especially in black and white films.

Must depend on the device? on my fire stick it puts a back blackground behind the text like the ceefax subtitles did.

When I first signed up, turning on subtitles would direct you to a different stream with burnt in subtitles.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Lost Oliver on January 21, 2020, 11:16:49 AM
What's so good about Ruiz? Can yous name anyone he's similar too?

He appeared to be having more fun getting his arthouse on than almost any of his contemporaries.  I have a weirdly specific kink for artsy fantasy/adventure films, and a good chunk of his filmography is just that.  Albeit covered in many, many layers of blinding mist.  The first thing I ever watched by him was the three-part miniseries Manuel on the Island of Wonders and it got me hooked.  Admittedly, not where most people would start.

Lost Oliver

Thanks man. I'll download and watch.

I saw Three Lives and Only One Death when it was on Mubi a few years ago and enjoyed it.

mjwilson

Quote from: Keebleman on February 13, 2020, 04:17:58 PM

I had this problem last week on a Roku box and it turned out that the subtitle text style was set from the Roku settings menu and not from within the Mubu app.

If you're having the same problem but with a different device then email their support address, I got a good response from them.

Keebleman

Quote from: mjwilson on February 21, 2020, 09:00:49 PM
I had this problem last week on a Roku box and it turned out that the subtitle text style was set from the Roku settings menu and not from within the Mubu app.

If you're having the same problem but with a different device then email their support address, I got a good response from them.

I did this and got the following reply just a few minutes ago:

QuoteThank you for reaching out to MUBI with your feedback! Our engineers are looking into a new feature that would allow users to change the color and size of subtitles to their preference, so we do hope to implement these features in the future (though we do not have a planned release date for this). I am not certain if this also would mean different backgrounds or font styles for the subtitles though, but I have forwarded this feedback to them for consideration.

While we do not have an option to alter the background or change the font type, we do have a way to adjust the size settings of the MUBI videos depending on the device you are using which may help with the visibility. It is worth checking this out, as you changing your settings to Large may help the legibility for you!

For iPhones, you can change the font size directly on your iPhone. To do this, please go on the Settings app on your iPhone and search 'subtitles' -> 'Subtitles & Captioning' -> 'Style'. Here you will be able to opt for larger text. This will be applied to all films on MUBI except the ones that have hardcoded subtitles (fixed to the video file).

On an Android device, you can go to Device Settings -> Accessibility -> Captions -> Text Size to change the font size on your device - increasingor decreasing it here should have the same effect in the MUBI app.

So not a great deal of help, but your suggestion about looking to the Roku settings could be just the thing!

mjwilson

And just to quote myself from the other Mubi thread

Quote from: mjwilson on February 08, 2020, 12:14:12 PM
After my first couple of months of Mubi, I decided I wasn't using it enough, so I went to cancel on the website.

It immediately offered me the option to continue at a reduced rate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mjwilson on February 22, 2020, 03:46:49 PM
And just to quote myself from the other Mubi thread

Might do that after I've cancelled to use the 3 months free I get when I renew my cinema membership.

Puce Moment

I pretended to be a student and got it for free.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 22, 2020, 04:55:42 PM
I pretended to be a student and got it for free.

Really gutted I forgot to login to my .ac.uk address and now its been pruned.

BTW it doesn't look like they control the availability of the streams using a rigorous schedule and if a film looks like it's leaving you can often get away with starting it and pausing it and watching it the next day, sometimes longer.

Armin Meiwes

Is everyone doing the VPN trick? You gotta do the VPN trick! Expands the film options massively - lots of overlap between countries but think some (like France) seem to almost stand alone.

Sebastian Cobb

I can't keep up with the uk stuff, so no.

Last time I looked though, it did seem to be things that had been on the uk site, so maybe they just cycle around, or at least some of them do.

Seems like they haven't done any in a while but I liked the byNWR restorations they showed.

Armin Meiwes

Yeah you might be right about that, only been doing it relatively recently so not sure if it's the same stuff in the end that just churns through all the different countries but just in a different order. Still it's kind of handy on the nights when everything's looking a bit too worthy on the UK one and then it turns out they've got Manhunter on France!

Puce Moment

I don't know how to stick my VPN app onto my smart TV.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 22, 2020, 10:25:40 PM

Think you might need a firestick (thats how i do it anyway).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 22, 2020, 10:25:40 PM

You can't usually.

If your router supports vpns then that can do it, Otherwise you need to set up something to act as another gateway/router (it can live on the same network) and manually configure your tv to act as a gateway. You can do this with a raspberry pi (I've done this to get my firestick to work on US netflix) but there are little routers that run openwrt and openvpn that are probably a bit more 'plug 'n play' e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on February 22, 2020, 10:36:13 PM
Think you might need a firestick (thats how i do it anyway).

Last time I did this there wasn't a way to run vpn client software on firetv without installing a load of extra android packages manually. Looks like various providers now have their own clients you can just install on there. Handy.

I know this is specifically about Mubi, but tubitv seems like an alright free (ad supported) american streaming service; it's supposed to be ad-supported but the kodi app stripps that out, I used it to watch an indie/mumblecore film I wanted to see.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on February 22, 2020, 07:40:30 PM
Is everyone doing the VPN trick? You gotta do the VPN trick! Expands the film options massively - lots of overlap between countries but think some (like France) seem to almost stand alone.

Grazie! A new world has just opened up.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 23, 2020, 02:43:50 PM
Grazie! A new world has just opened up.

Ah no worries, great innit! Watched Mubi France again tonight, always wanted to see Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Sebastian Cobb

Bumping this 'cos Bob Le Flambeur is on tonight.

garbed_attic

Really excited to watch the two Cocteau films I've never been able to watch in full in good quality! ^^

Puce Moment

Yeah, I noticed that. They do a good job of dropping a couple of films by directors that are good introductions (at the moment, Melville, Cassevetes, Bergman). I have only ever seen shitty copies of Cocteau films so they are a real treat.

Sin Agog

Quote from: gout_pony on March 25, 2020, 11:02:31 AM
Really excited to watch the two Cocteau films I've never been able to watch in full in good quality! ^^

Blood of a Poet is one of my most favouritest fillums.  Cocteau at his most unadulterated.