Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mubi.com

Started by Jim Jarmusch, July 09, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 04, 2020, 11:57:33 PM
Diary of a Country Priest has been added. If you want to get your Bresson (Bress on).
My first Bresson but not sure it'd be one I'd recommend as a starting point. Compared to Pickpocket or A Man Escaped it's a fair bit more enduring of a watch, think it'd be better watched with a bit more of an idea of what Bresson's about first.

RE: Mubi in general, I'm struggling to justify keeping it without Mubi Go atm. I think the 30 days thing is super useful in terms of reducing choice for people, it's a good gimmick, but it isn't one that suits my approaching towards finding and viewing things.
If the Criterion Channel has all the commentary tracks included I'd be all over that fucking thing. Watch the film, then passively play it alongside work the next day with the audio track, amazing.

chveik

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on May 07, 2020, 08:26:19 AM
I think there's been some miscommunication here.

oh yes, sorry.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 07, 2020, 01:55:06 PM
My first Bresson but not sure it'd be one I'd recommend as a starting point. Compared to Pickpocket or A Man Escaped it's a fair bit more enduring of a watch, think it'd be better watched with a bit more of an idea of what Bresson's about first.

RE: Mubi in general, I'm struggling to justify keeping it without Mubi Go atm. I think the 30 days thing is super useful in terms of reducing choice for people, it's a good gimmick, but it isn't one that suits my approaching towards finding and viewing things.
If the Criterion Channel has all the commentary tracks included I'd be all over that fucking thing. Watch the film, then passively play it alongside work the next day with the audio track, amazing.

Yeah I think the criterion channel does have the audio tracks iirc.

thugler

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 04, 2020, 02:39:45 PM
Has anyone else watched Ema? Exclusive showings on MUBI. Might be worth its own thread?

Did anyone else see this yet? Staggered at how awful i thought it was and how much the critics loved it.

mjwilson

It was a bit odd really.

Mubi have Jonathan Glazer's new film, The Fall, from Sunday.

Sebastian Cobb

I actually find Mubi's 'watch it or you'll miss it' tactic means I engage with it much more.

There's plenty of stuff floating about in Netters I could watch, but unless there's a series on the go I can go months without even opening it. I should really just bin it off when one of the 3 or so series I'm interested in isn't showing.

mjwilson

For the Criterion channel, are people using VPNs? It hasn't launched in the UK yet right?

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: mjwilson on May 08, 2020, 12:23:39 PM
For the Criterion channel, are people using VPNs? It hasn't launched in the UK yet right?

I was a subscriber back when it was criterion/filmstruck and yeah you had to access that with a VPN, not sure about the new iteration - seem to remember checking it out and there was a UK version but it was nowhere near as good on film selection as the US.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: mjwilson on May 08, 2020, 11:52:26 AM
It was a bit odd really.

Think it's just a short, they showed it on iPlayer or something a while ago.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: thugler on May 07, 2020, 10:59:04 PM
Did anyone else see this yet? Staggered at how awful i thought it was and how much the critics loved it.

I'd be interested to know what you thought was so awful. I thought it was really interesting, if not entirely successful or fully likable.

Josef K

Quote from: mjwilson on May 08, 2020, 12:23:39 PM

If you're on android you can get it without a VPN. Here's what I did:

Download the Criterion Channel app apk from the internet (just google, various websites have it.)

Open the app and create an account, use paypal to pay for it as UK cards don't seem to work.

And then you're in. I did this right at the start of the year so they might have clamped down on this since then but they're a pretty small company so I doubt it.

It's worked fine every time I've used it, with no need for a VPN

Sin Agog

Our Little Sister's just been added.  It's nothing seismic like some of the other mubies, but it is a totally charming, well-observed little drama if you want something on the sweeter side.

thugler

YASSS!

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 09, 2020, 11:11:14 AM
I'd be interested to know what you thought was so awful. I thought it was really interesting, if not entirely successful or fully likable.

I mean parts of it were visually quite striking (parts were like an expensive music video) and there were some interesting ideas, but I thought the execution, the characters and the narrative were all over the place and made no sense. Some shambolic lines of dialogue as well. All this just annoyed the hell out of me by the end and I was willing it to end. I guess I will remember it at least.

The more confusing thing is how the thing got blanket positive reviews, I mean I didn't like it, but I find it hard to believe anyone would think it better than some sort of glorious weird failure.

kittens

It was a bit odd really.

got excited by this, but after a minute's research i have found this film is 7 minutes long, and already on iplayer

thugler

Quote from: kittens on May 09, 2020, 04:41:16 PM
got excited by this, but after a minute's research i have found this film is 7 minutes long, and already on iplayer

FUUUUUCk.

chveik

Quote from: thugler on May 09, 2020, 04:28:06 PM
The more confusing thing is how the thing got blanket positive reviews, I mean I didn't like it, but I find it hard to believe anyone would think it better than some sort of glorious weird failure.

mubi users tend to overrate films

Inspector Norse

Quote from: thugler on May 09, 2020, 04:28:06 PM
I mean parts of it were visually quite striking (parts were like an expensive music video) and there were some interesting ideas, but I thought the execution, the characters and the narrative were all over the place and made no sense.

I thought they were "all over the place" on purpose. I was really drawn in by the way it constantly upended what I thought I was figuring out about the central character, and I think that the point was that the character too was discovering new things about herself, not all of them pleasant or positive. Bernal as the husband went through his own, more low-key journey as he showed that what I initially thought was a callous, cold character was more frustrated and confused, with his own pressing needs and issues. Bernal is one of those actors whose presence generally indicates that a film is at least interesting.
There were a few odd, overdone and gratuitous elements but at the same time there was a deliberate contrast between the female characters' sexual and social freedom and comfort and the men's awkward and uptight behaviour.
I didn't really buy the plot once Ema's plan kicked into gear but rather than tying everything up, the final scenes made it clear that the other characters were also alarmed and uncomfortable with her actions, and that this was far from over, which I thought was a brave move and probably made the difference between my coming away with a positive impression or otherwise.
And I'm not sure why you'd think the execution was messy, I thought it was stylistically very focused - even if not always chiming with my personal aesthetic - and very strong in terms of bringing its themes and questions to the fore.

QuoteSome shambolic lines of dialogue as well.

Not sure how you can really judge that unless you're a native Spanish speaker. Most subtitled films have simplified or awkward translations.

mjwilson

Bastards, the email said it was exclusive

Mubi bastards

Inspector Norse

Probably 5 minutes if you cut the credits.

It's OK. Looks good and has good sound. Concept is a tad sixth-form.

thugler

Quote from: chveik on May 09, 2020, 05:35:39 PM
mubi users tend to overrate films

Not mubi, I'm talking 91% on rotten tomatoes. Glowing reviews all round.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 09, 2020, 09:44:17 PM
I thought they were "all over the place" on purpose. I was really drawn in by the way it constantly upended what I thought I was figuring out about the central character, and I think that the point was that the character too was discovering new things about herself, not all of them pleasant or positive. Bernal as the husband went through his own, more low-key journey as he showed that what I initially thought was a callous, cold character was more frustrated and confused, with his own pressing needs and issues. Bernal is one of those actors whose presence generally indicates that a film is at least interesting.
There were a few odd, overdone and gratuitous elements but at the same time there was a deliberate contrast between the female characters' sexual and social freedom and comfort and the men's awkward and uptight behaviour.
I didn't really buy the plot once Ema's plan kicked into gear but rather than tying everything up, the final scenes made it clear that the other characters were also alarmed and uncomfortable with her actions, and that this was far from over, which I thought was a brave move and probably made the difference between my coming away with a positive impression or otherwise.
And I'm not sure why you'd think the execution was messy, I thought it was stylistically very focused - even if not always chiming with my personal aesthetic - and very strong in terms of bringing its themes and questions to the fore.

Not sure how you can really judge that unless you're a native Spanish speaker. Most subtitled films have simplified or awkward translations.

I may not be a fluent spanish speaker but I know pretentious dialogue when I see it.

I cannot begin to judge whether stuff was on purpose or not, but the overall effect was annoying. I didn't think the actions/behaviour of the main characters made any sense or felt any more real than those in a music video, which doesn't work out over the course of 90 minutes +

If a film is going to have extended dance routines or grimy sex scenes they could do with being more than visual spectacles alone. The film didn't seem that interested in being understood or making sense, rather it just wanted to throw striking visuals at you. I admire the ambition of the film in that sense but I don't think it worked out to anything satisfying. So much of the film is spent on stuff irrelevant to the story. It's pretty trashy in the end but seemed to be reaching for something emotionally resonant.

Inspector Norse

I completely disagree that the dancing was beside the point, given that the film was about a dancer and her choreographer husband, and that it spent a lot of time examining their roles and attitudes and used their professional and personal relationships as a prism through which to examine Chilean and Latin American society as a whole. There were several key scenes showing how Ema was central to the group and how Bernal, despite being ostensibly its leader and organiser, was outside it. Much of the film also seemed to look at how Ema gave herself over to more instinctive and physical urges rather than playing by the rules of her husband, the adoption agency or whoever - dancing, like the sex and the fire, is surely part of that.
Sure, Ema's behaviour was erratic and unpredictable but I thought one of the most interesting things about it was the way we were encouraged to empathise with her and her assertion of her freedom, yet slowly doubt whether her viewpoint and actions were reliable or deserving.
And trashy it may have been, but again it made its point very clear as Bernal conservatively and condescendingly dismissed the troupe's musical choices.
And, you know, lord forbid a film should have musical sequences or a memorable look.

thugler

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 12, 2020, 09:11:30 PM
I completely disagree that the dancing was beside the point, given that the film was about a dancer and her choreographer husband, and that it spent a lot of time examining their roles and attitudes and used their professional and personal relationships as a prism through which to examine Chilean and Latin American society as a whole. There were several key scenes showing how Ema was central to the group and how Bernal, despite being ostensibly its leader and organiser, was outside it. Much of the film also seemed to look at how Ema gave herself over to more instinctive and physical urges rather than playing by the rules of her husband, the adoption agency or whoever - dancing, like the sex and the fire, is surely part of that.
Sure, Ema's behaviour was erratic and unpredictable but I thought one of the most interesting things about it was the way we were encouraged to empathise with her and her assertion of her freedom, yet slowly doubt whether her viewpoint and actions were reliable or deserving.
And trashy it may have been, but again it made its point very clear as Bernal conservatively and condescendingly dismissed the troupe's musical choices.
And, you know, lord forbid a film should have musical sequences or a memorable look.

I think you make some good points and i don't entirely disagree with any of them, but I'm still not convinced the end result was satisfying. But I'm still baffled by how so many critics saw it as an unimpeachably good film. I've rarely found a film so annoying! Perhaps a bit marmite.

Keebleman

There's a mini-season of Henri-Georges Clouzot films on at the moment.  The most famous of them is Le Corbeau, which actually I was a little disappointed by, but I've just watched his follow-up film Quai des Orfevres and it was terrific: good plot, loads of great characters including a superb lead detective (no idea if the character was featured in other films but he should've been), a vivid and detailed setting in a Parisian music hall, a great mix of comedy and drama with a nasty edge.  Very satisfying: well worth a watch if you like Hitchcockian mysteries.  It leaves Mubi at midnight.

Oh, and the leading lady died only two months ago aged 102.

Old Nehamkin

Yeah I liked Quai des Orfevres. It was like a very strong 70s Columbo episode, but hornier.

Keebleman

Just caught the last Clouzot movie, Woman In Chains.  A wonderful surprise, a rare movie of '68 vintage that still feels stylistically fresh.  There was a little too much of the zoom lens, but striking framing and camera movement and complex but not confusing editing throughout more than compensated.  Every shot had a vitality to it without resorting to empty flashiness.  A mad dream sequence at the end was particularly good, and there was an eye-bogglingly dangerous shot of the lead actors standing on a tiny off-shore rocky outcrop as it was being battered by gigantic waves, a set-up that Buster Keaton might have balked at.

The film's theme of a sub-dom relationship between a man and a woman is relevant today in ways that weren't the case back when it was made.  Some scenes were very erotic, but there was an edge to the movie that kept it from being an entirely comfortable experience (and I mean that as praise).  The behaviour of the characters based on what we knew about them didn't always make sense and that's the main thing keeping it from being a movie of the top rank in my opinion, but on the whole this film, together with Quai des Orfevres the other night, has really elevated my opinion of their maker. 

mjwilson

Mubi have tweeted something implying access to a wider range of films than the 30, but the site is timing out for me so I can't check any details.

cliggg

Quote from: mjwilson on May 20, 2020, 09:33:39 PM
Mubi have tweeted something implying access to a wider range of films than the 30, but the site is timing out for me so I can't check any details.
Yeah you can watch hundreds of movies now instead of having 30 to choose from, it's currently only working on their website and not the app but they say that update is coming soon too.

Sebastian Cobb

I know some of you were on about vpns, looks like someone's built a site that lets you know what's on the international versions. They followed my bot account and had no tweets. I couldn't actually find the site in google when I just went to look it up on another pc.

SEO aside, it does the job.

https://whatsonmubi.com/

Thanks. I hope they add the new libraries.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2020, 08:54:39 PM
I know some of you were on about vpns, looks like someone's built a site that lets you know what's on the international versions. They followed my bot account and had no tweets. I couldn't actually find the site in google when I just went to look it up on another pc.

SEO aside, it does the job.

https://whatsonmubi.com/

That's bloody brilliant! Thanks for that. Always thought about trying to set that up myself but then realised I didn't have a clue how you would update it without having to manually trawl through every countries selection every day.