Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fahrenheit 9/11: through the roof

Started by WoShade, June 28, 2004, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoShade

Apologies if this subject is addressed elsewhere. I've seen the trailer and (ahem) will soon have access to a CAM rip of the film itself. By all accounts, those of us with our fingers on the digital pulse will learn little we don't already know in terms of facts. I'm more interested in the second half, such as the Iraq footage and the reception it will get in the US. First reports suggest it is getting a bipartisan viewing and the ticket sales and audience reactions are surpassing all Moore's hopes.

So, what does everybody think, whether you've seen it or not?

EDIT:

Here's a link
WaPo: Incendiary 'Fahrenheit' Is No Box Office Bomb

Pinball

I think it should be eye-opening for many Americans, but for those of us without a right-wing propagandic suppressive media I doubt there's anything new in it, and if anything it won't go far enough.

The US is guilty of starting a war with inadequate justification, and then committing war crimes, with the motive of acquiring oil supply due to a White House administration with a clear conflict of interest. Dick Cheney has clearly lied as to what he has said (as proven by recorded interviews). Frankly it doesn't get much worse than that. The fact that all of this isn't enough to bring down the current US regime is quite remarkable. I'm sure if the President was a Democrat it would be enough, due to the Republican media influence. Specifically, Clinton was nearly brought down due to a blowjob and intra-vaginal insertion of a cigar. Yet Bush instigates the current global fiasco and - nothing happens. The only good thing is that Bush should lose the next election (one hopes).

Regular John

Lions Gate Films actually had the bootleg VCD version uploaded to the Fahrentheit 9/11 website for a short time for some unknown reason (hackers?) but the bandwidth was raped and they noticed and quickly removed it!

MarmiteCarpenter

Review, by my favourite reviewer.

It's good that Moore is out there making films like this, but it seems they're just as unbalanced and selective about the truth as the shit Fox and friends spew out in the US, just from the other side. Bowling stretched the truth in quite a few places, and its possible that Bush supporters might (legitamately) tear this film to shreds. I don't think Moore's films would stand up very well against people who really know what they are talking about.

MojoJojo

From what little we have, Farenheit is supposed to be a lot less dodgy about it's evidence, although there hasn't been enough time for anyone to get their teeth into it yet.
As someone posted before, Fox are surprisingly positive on it.
It's entertaining that there is already a big back lash against it, from things such as Michael Moore Hates America, before it's even been seen by most people.

Must get round to watching it.

butnut

I've just seen it, thanks to Mr. Suprnova. I will go to the cinema to watch it, and I'll have to view it a few times to make a firm judgement.  As someone said before, it won't be news to many people on here, who are generally all clued up about this kind of thing, but still, from the very start, I wasn't able to keep my eyes off it, and consequently have got nothing done today so far.  I don't want to say too much before others have seen it, but there are some unforgetable scenes in there. A troubling and sometimes harrowing ride, but one that I want to do again soon.

El Unicornio, mang

Okay, so I went to see this on Friday. The cinema was, as expected, totally packed out and we had to wait for half an hour in a big queue for the doors to open (the roof in the waiting area collapsed just before we went in, one guy very nearly had his head skewered by a metal pole which fell through) but we got good seats...

Anyway, the film:
First of all, if you're expecting a film which is totally unbiased and only presents the facts then you're going to be disappointed. As anyone who has seen a Moore film will know, he has no qualms about putting things out of context and leaving out important pieces of information in order to get his point across. As he has said himself, his films are part facts, part opinion. Also, bear in mind that this is a film about America, there is no mention of Europe or our involvement throughout the whole film, and Blair is only mentioned once. It would have been nice to show the American public the protests which went on in the UK and other countries, but this is primarily a look at Bush and the country he rules. It serves to do one thing: make Bush look like the devil incarnate.

These points aside, the film is very good. It presents enough information about the corruption of Bush and his cronies to make even the most right wing of republicans squirm. It's also very funny, with lots of laughs amongst all the heartache and heavy political stuff, including plenty of subtle bits like a snippet of 'Cocaine' by Eric Clapton played when the tale of Bush refusing a medical during his army days is recounted.

The review posted a few posts up is true, Moore is as guilty of propoganda as Bush, but in this case I think it's justified. This isn't an educational film, it's a film designed to have an effect, and to be honest if it helps to get Bush out of power I don't care if the whole thing is lies. Of course, republicans (those who bother to go and see it, which will be very few) aren't going to change their minds, but there's a good chance that those sat in the middle and those who never bother to vote might be pushed in the direction of the nearest voting booth. You can't fight the kind of war liberal-minded people (of whom I would say pretty much everyone on this site is) with "this is bad, but y'know there was also this good thing that happened, mumble, mumble", you need to hit them with a sledgehammer. I was squirming when the film showed images of Iraq looking like playschool on ecstasy then like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre after the Americans arrived, or when Moore took the piss out of the 'coalition of the willing', choosing only to mention the very small countries that were involved, but when the cinema erupted in applause as the credits rolled and 'Keep On Rockin' In The Free World' blasted out of the speakers I understood what the whole thing meant to those trying to find a powerful voice in a country which is still struggling against right-wing conservative values.

Bear in mind also that, although the things presented in this film may not be news to us, to America they are. America is an ignorant country, not because the American people are stupid, but because they are fed rubbish 24/7. This film is a wake up call. It quite literally grabs you by the throat, rattles you out of your slumber and leaves you feeling like you've spent the past 5 years sleepwalking while Bush and his cohorts have disassembled the US and ultimately, the world, for their own means. More than anything, this is a film for America. The rest of the world may sneer at it's simplicity, but for America, as ill as it is right now, this is the best medicine available.

There's currently about 5000 people seeding the film on suprnova, and I know that Moore won't care as long as his message gets out (especially as a lot of kids won't get to see it without their folks in tow due to the R rating), but from what I've seen the quality isn't that great (it's a bit lopsided too) so I advise either waiting til July 9th or waiting for a better rip. Moore may be an arrogant arsehole, but at the moment, with the American elections just round the corner, he's probably the best weapon liberal-minded people have.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Regular John"Lions Gate Films actually had the bootleg VCD version uploaded to the Fahrentheit 9/11 website for a short time for some unknown reason (hackers?) but the bandwidth was raped and they noticed and quickly removed it!

This could well be Moore's doing, I know he's well up for people seeing his stuff illegally as long as they're not making a profit. I doubt the folks who distribute it have quite the same view though.

Pinball

Great review, Unicorn - thanks!

A lot is made about how ignorant American people are of the "outside world" (outside the US, that is). Part of the explanation is of course the large size of the US both geographically, but also in population and economic terms. However, IMO most of the "ignorance" is due, as you suggest, to the low quality mass media in the US. From what I've seen, it's Sky News on acid - right-wing republican corporate propaganda with an artificial patriotically driven paranoia, mixed with a sauce of commercially-driven pap. Low quality, and it ain't neutral. The end result? Poorly informed people with rather odd views on the world.

As you also suggest, Unicorn, if this film helps evict warmonger, war criminal, oil whore Bush, then it will have achieved a great aim. When Gore was debating Bush (there's a thought) prior to the election last time, though both were up their own asses regarding America's importance and global leadership role, it was notable how (relatively) conciliatory and considerate of other countries' views Gore was, as well as being somewhat brighter than good old boy, dyslexic, illiterate, goofball "how y'all doing" dickhead Bush. Essentially, democrats seem to be more liberally minded than their corporate-owned fascist counterparts in the republican party.

In reality, both parties are owned by the corporations - that's the "need sponsorship" almost feudal system the Americans have created for their political elite. But I somehow feel safer with a democrat President...  I think I'm right in saying that the vast majority of major wars post-WWII that America has started with other countries have been started by republican presidents.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Pinball"I think I'm right in saying that the vast majority of major wars post-WWII that America has started with other countries have been started by republican presidents.

Weeelll..... except for the biggie, Vietnam, started by Lyndon Johnson.....

You might have seen these, but here are unfavourable reactions from Christopher Hitchens and Mark Commode.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Pinball"I think I'm right in saying that the vast majority of major wars post-WWII that America has started with other countries have been started by republican presidents.

and Korea.

and Somalia.

And Serbia.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"You might have seen these, but here are unfavourable reactions from Christopher Hitchens and Mark Commode.

I would have to disagree with Mark Kermode's review

QuoteI'll be reviewing the film in full when it opens here in a couple of weeks, but suffice to say that it was neither the sharpest, the funniest nor the most politically potent documentary screened at Cannes this year. That award goes to Morgan Spurlock's Super Size Me, a stomach-churning attack on the fast-food industry which has all of the bite of Moore's work with none of the self-righteous sanctimony.

First off, Super Size Me isn't half as funny as Farenheit 9/11 (there's some funny bits in it, but watching a guy say "Heh, I'm McFull.... I've got Mcwind....I'm going to be McSick...etc" isn't exactly the height of satirical comedy.  Then again, that's down to personal taste.
Second of all Super Size Me is a film which basically sets out to tell people that if you eat three McDonalds meals a day you'll get fat. It does it an interesting way, but it's not exactly revelatory. It's good entertainment, but not much more. Farenheit 9/11, on the other hand, is trying to get rid of a president who, quite literally, has the lives of millions of people in his hands, with thousands already lost for a war that does nothing but line the pockets of oil barons and politicians while poor kids get killed.

The film might not make a difference, but then again it might. Whether you like the film or not, and there's definetly plenty to dislike if you're looking at it as being a pure documentary, there's a chance that it could help to get Bush out of power. At  this moment in time that seems more important than whether it's 100% truth (and the way I see it, it's not lying about anything, it's just leaving out facts which would dillute the overall message).

Of course, if you're pro-Bush (my other half's parents are) then it's just evil propoganda. But then, they've been doing that themselves for the past 4 years. This seems to me to be a case of fighting fire with fire.

Pinball

Quote from: "Evil Knevil"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"

and Korea.

and Somalia.

And Serbia.
How about a percentage breakdown instead of selective exceptions? ;-)

MarmiteCarpenter

Wow, nice review Unicorn. Reading that, I guess that even if it is a bit stretchy truthy, getting people applauding and all rallied up like that, together with the frenzy of downloading, must amount to a Good Thing.

People talk a lot about how Americans are blinkered like racehorses when it comes to news. You said yourself that a lot of the material in this film is old news to most of the world, but new to most of America, which has been shielded by its media. I don't want you to give the whole film away, but could you just give a couple of facts that would be new to Americans watching that film, but old hat to us? I don't have a clue how blinkered America is, but I'm interested.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "MarmiteCarpenter"

People talk a lot about how Americans are blinkered like racehorses when it comes to news. You said yourself that a lot of the material in this film is old news to most of the world, but new to most of America, which has been shielded by its media. I don't want you to give the whole film away, but could you just give a couple of facts that would be new to Americans watching that film, but old hat to us? I don't have a clue how blinkered America is, but I'm interested.

Well, a few things which I can remember:
- Depiction of US troops. In the American media, they're always shown as being brave heroes who want to help the Iraqi people. Well, here we get plenty of footage of young American soldiers acting like total idiots, literally thinking that what they're doing is like playing a computer game, blasting nu-metal through their headphones to get 'in the mood' (at one point a soldier starts singing his favourite 'battle song': "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire, we don't need no water let the motherfuckers burn". Plus we get footage of soldiers humiliating prisoners with typical "hur hur you touched his dick" fratboy humour.
- The Bush family and their ties to the Saudis, and the Bin Laden family. A lot of Americans really don't know where all their lovely cheap oil comes from, and seem blissfully unaware about the amount of money people like Bush stand to make from deals with the middle east. I have to say that a lot of this was news to me too.
- General stuff about Iraq and it's people. I think that a lot of Americans see Iraq as being this barbaric desertland full of murdering extremists. They rarely get to see the real human side and how Iraqi people live their daily lives much the same as we do.

Of course, for people in the US who watch shows like The Daily Show and read international news, a lot of these are well known, but for the majority of voters it's a very simplified representaion that is given to them. Also keep in mind that the news here isn't keen on showing the real horror of what happens when a city is bombed. It's easy to just watch images of buildings blowing up and thinking 'that's that taken care of', but when you're shown a video of a charred baby being tossed onto the back of a truck like a piece of rubbish, or a child screaming as her head is stitched up, you get to understand all the personal horrors that come with each attack.

Edit: I should also point out that when the war started i was undecided, at times I was for, other times against. It was thanks to our informative media, the friends/family I have, and even moreso due to people on this site giving information, which helped me to form my current opinion. If it hadn't been for these things I might well be thinking "go Bush".
If you're living in a small town in the US, hanging around with people who all have the same political leanings (the US is a lot more polarised than the UK), it's no surprise you'll be unable to form a balanced opinion. Like the film says, the American public were duped. One of the most upsetting parts of the film was hearing these young soldiers, who believed in what their government was telling them, finding out they'd been lied to, and paying a huge price.

Peking O

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Of course, if you're pro-Bush (my other half's parents are) then it's just evil propoganda.

That's the main problem though - if the pro-Bush crowd just think it's evil propaganda they're not going to go and see it. Therefore it will mostly play to people who've made up their mind about Bush anyway. MM's preying on liberal guilt to sell this movie and make himself a few $$$'s. The chances of it changing anything come election time are remote in the extreme.

butnut

Quote from: "The Unicorn"[One of the most upsetting parts of the film was hearing these young soldiers, who believed in what their government was telling them, finding out they'd been lied to, and paying a huge price.

You've hit bullseye in several of your posts on this, and this was the most upsetting aspect for me. That poor woman who encouraged her children to sign up, becuase the military could educate and pay them - christ that was something. And those guys who go around the poorer neighbourhoods signing people up for the army because they haven't got much else in their lives - that left a nasty taste in the mouth. The contrast between Bush being the toast of the 'elite' and these run-down, forgotten parts of America is obvious, but needed pointing out.

I think Komode has missed the mark badly with this. One of the best things about it is how little a part Moore takes in it. He's hardly on screen at all, and the narration is subdued, sober, and succinct.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "The Unicorn"Of course, if you're pro-Bush (my other half's parents are) then it's just evil propoganda.

That's the main problem though - if the pro-Bush crowd just think it's evil propaganda they're not going to go and see it. Therefore it will mostly play to people who've made up their mind about Bush anyway. MM's preying on liberal guilt to sell this movie and make himself a few $$$'s. The chances of it changing anything come election time are remote in the extreme.

I agree that the people who have made up their minds are unlikely to change (although one segment of the film features a woman being interviewed before her son was shipped out, saying she hated the whole anti-war lot, then when her son dies, and she receives a letter from him sent a day before he was killed saying how he had realised they had been deceived, she becomes a staunch opposer of Bush and his war)
However, there are those who are undecided, or those who just don't vote because they feel their voice will go unheard. Seeing a film like this topping the box office might just make them think "I can make a difference, there are people who think that Bush needs to be taken out of power". I really don't know, it might not make any difference, but I honestly think that a film like this could turn the tide just enough to change things.

Quote. One of the best things about it is how little a part Moore takes in it. He's hardly on screen at all, and the narration is subdued, sober, and succinct.

Yeah, I noticed he wasn't featured much. I have to admit that I don't like his interviews much, he doesn't really give the people he's interviewing much of a chance to speak, preferring instead to bombard them with statistics and whatnot. Thankfully there's very little of that in this film.

Chadwick

Just watched the film thanks to the gift of bit torrent and I've got to say it was pretty much what I expected. I doubt anyone here (by which I mean CaB) will learn anything new from it. The first half about the Bush/Bin Laden business dealings was standard Moore fodder but worth enduring for the second half, especially the interviews with the increasingly disenfranchised US troops in Iraq. And as mentioned above, the scenes with the woman who during the course of filming lost her son in Iraq are emotionally very powerful.

Rev

Quote from: "Peking O"MM's preying on liberal guilt to sell this movie and make himself a few $$$'s.

Ah, the 'he's in it for the money' argument.  I've been picking through the carnage on the IMDB board, and this one tends to be pulled by people who have talked themselves into a corner.  Those who invoke it are, without exception, right-leaning supporters of capitalism, which is why bleating about the fact that Moore will make money from the film makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote from: "MarmiteCarpenter"
its possible that Bush supporters might (legitamately) tear this film to shreds.

Well of course, it's easy to shred any conspiracy theory, because they're all based on lies.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"It serves to do one thing: make Bush look like the devil incarnate.

Which is exactly what the Muslim extremists what to hear.  They already accuse America of being the great satan, now we have documentary makers just waiting to stab Bush in the back in his countries hour of need.  Can you imagine what would have happened if the English had accused Winston Churchill of a similar thing during the 2nd World War?  We would have lost moral and could have lost to Hitler, this film is inadvertently serving the terrorist cause, by profiting from the damaged caused to the most powerful man in the world.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Farenheit 9/11, on the other hand, is trying to get rid of a president

What do you do when you need to fight the war on terror? Fight it, or just try to ruin the effort?  If you're a terrorist sympathizer you're going to want to stop the actions from being taken so you can hit America again.  Bush is doing his best, Moore isn't happy.  I don't see Moore trying to make America a better place, all I see is him making it harder for a president to do his job without rubbing fake conspiracy theories in his face.  People that believe Farenheit 911 is true are making a terrible mistake.

_________

Michael Moore is scum, pure and simple. He wants the president out at a very crucial time.  This guy (Moore) is a great example of a traitor.  The most sickening part of the film for me was when he dragged out Britney Spears, of all people and had her say that she thought the American people should trust Bush implicitly and be faithful to him, kind trying to use reverse psychology to suggest that if Britney, the uninformed pop queen thinks its ok you politically minded brainiacs should instantly be against it.  This film is all about clever lies its all Anti Bush and never actually mentions the great works Bush has done for his nation.  I wonder how much John Kerry is paying Moore for this effort.  Fahrenheit 911 is nothing more than clever anti Bush propaganda, with only a tiny amount of factual information and lots of bullshit about troops deserting, because the allege that the war is unneeded, when clearly it is.

Lies and more lies, people who pay to see this are throwing their money into the fire.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Mister Six

QuoteI don't see Moore trying to make America a better place

How does attacking Iraq make America a better place? Show your working out. (10 marks)

DistantAngel

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"Well of course, it's easy to shred any conspiracy theory, because they're all based on lies.
Erm ... so you're saying that all theories revolving around some kind of conspiracy are lies and nothing but?  That no conspiracy theory can ever be based on truth?  Surely a theory has to have some basis in truth otherwise it's a fantasy, and not a theory.  Besides, the Bush administration's explanation for 9/11 is a conspiracy theory as they have, so far, not conclusively proved Bin Laden's involvement.  There are still persistent reports that he was on a dialysis machine at the time and barely capable of pissing unassisted, let alone planning a terrorist act of that magnitude.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"now we have documentary makers just waiting to stab Bush in the back in his countries hour of need.
A country can be in no greater danger than when its government, or its leader, lies to the people - and there is absolutely no doubt that Bush is a consumate pathological liar.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"We would have lost moral and could have lost to Hitler, this film is inadvertently serving the terrorist cause, by profiting from the damaged caused to the most powerful man in the world.
You cannot compare the so-called war on terror to the advance of the Third Reich, they're two completely different things.  For a start, Hitler posed a very real threat.  The terrorists that are supposedly lurking on every corner waiting to kill us all in our sleep, on the other hand, do not.  We've been at greater threat in this country from the IRA over the last 40 years than we ever will be from Al Quadea.  Besides, you have to ask yourself what creates a terrorist; a film that criticises Bush, or a president who goes around making enemies everywhere he goes by invading and looting whichever countries he feels entitled to relieve of its resources.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"What do you do when you need to fight the war on terror? Fight it, or just try to ruin the effort?
I've got some important news for you ... there is no war on terror.  It's all bullshit.  It's a war on personal freedom, disguised as a war on terror.  Ever heard the expression "You can do anything you want to people if they are afraid"?  It's an age-old tactic ... tell the population that they're under attack, and they'll hand over every freedom they've ever fought for in order that you'll protect them.  You can raise their taxes, spy on their email, raid their pension funds, make them redundant, close their schools and their libraries, search their houses whenever you want, confiscate their property, and imprison them without trial ... as long as you tell them that it's for the good of the country and part of the "war on terror", they'll keep quiet and let you get on with it.  And these are not the rantings of a conspiracy theorist (those people piss me off) - these are the rational observations of a deeply concerned individual.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"If you're a terrorist sympathizer you're going to want to stop the actions from being taken so you can hit America again.  Bush is doing his best, Moore isn't happy.
Bush might be doing his best, but he's not doing it for America - he's doing it for himself, his friends, his family, and anyone close to him with a minimum 7-figure bank account.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"I don't see Moore trying to make America a better place, all I see is him making it harder for a president to do his job without rubbing fake conspiracy theories in his face.
I'd say that Moore most certainly IS trying to make America a better place by alerting the sleeping masses to what really is going on in their country.  He's helping get information to a nation that has been starved of it by a media that's far more concerned about revenue than the truth.  Much of what is contained in the film will be new to Americans - are you suggesting that if someone has evidence that the president is a warmongering oil-whore who's only doing what he's doing to feather his nest, then that person should keep quiet because it might rock the boat?  And yes, there is PLENTY of evidence of the ties between Bush and the oil companies / the Saudis / the bin Ladens - there is, however, no evidence to support your claim that Fahrenheit 9/11 is full of "fake conspiracy theories" as you put it.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"People that believe Farenheit 911 is true are making a terrible mistake.
In all fairness, calling yourself "Sonia From Eastenders" is not the brighest move one can make either.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"This guy (Moore) is a great example of a traitor.
This is a common trick of a dictator.  Label all detractors or objectors as un-patriotic or traitors and let the general population take it from there.  Just ask the Dixie Chicks or Howard Stern what happened after they made anti-Bush statements.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"The most sickening part of the film for me was when he dragged out Britney Spears, of all people and had her say that she thought the American people should trust Bush implicitly and be faithful to him
As far as I'm aware, Britney made these particularly ignorant comments on her own some time ago - Michael Moore was not involved, he's just used the incident as an example of how the media will cynically exploit the position of someone like Britney as a role model for the young to help push the political agenda and ideals of the ruling government.  Again, an old trick.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"This film is all about clever lies its all Anti Bush and never actually mentions the great works Bush has done for his nation.
What, like inheriting the biggest budget surplus ever, and turning it into the largest federal deficit in American history?  Or being in charge of a record level of unemployment?  Or presiding over some of the largest corporate scandals ever?  Or perhaps cutting funding for libraries and schools further than any other president?  Or what about the fact that he's executed more prisoners than any state governor before or since?  Or best of all, that he took the unconditional support, love, goodwill, and compassion that the rest of the world gave after September 11th, and turned it into distrust, fear, and outright hatred of the USA?  Yes, he's really done some great things for this nation.  On that day in 2001, most of the world felt sorry for America, and we perhaps even felt a little guilty for the way we'd thought of them in the past.  In no time at all, Bush managed to reverse world opinion to the point where anti-American feeling is greater than ever before.  That takes some doing.  You have to really fuck up big time to affect that kind of shift in opinion.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"I wonder how much John Kerry is paying Moore for this effort.
None ... in fact, Moore has never supported Kerry.  He was a staunch supporter of Wesley Clark's bid for the presidency and, since he pulled out, Moore has not, as yet, announced any kind of support for Kerry.  Not only that, but the film is critical of Democrats for failing to stand up for themselves and contest the 2000 election.

If you're going to be pro-Bush and pro-war, that's fine, I don't intend to try to change your mind.  But the very least you should do is to not use the same tired old arguments to support your position; labelling someone a traitor, or a terrorist sympathiser is just childish name-calling, and claiming that we're fighting a war and we should rally behind the president no matter what is just blind jingostic nonsense.  Is a president worth supporting or defending when he lies to the people?  Is a war worth fighting when so many have died for so little?  The answer is, rather obviously, no ...

butnut

Right on, DistantAngel!

Quote from: "DistantAngel"
I've got some important news for you ... there is no war on terror.  It's all bullshit.  It's a war on personal freedom, disguised as a war on terror.  Ever heard the expression "You can do anything you want to people if they are afraid"?  It's an age-old tactic ... tell the population that they're under attack, and they'll hand over every freedom they've ever fought for in order that you'll protect them.

Just a little point here, that I'm not sure had been raised on these boards, but yesterday, on that judgement on those poor sods in Cuba, they said it was ok to detain people for as long as possible without trial. I just said "what?". And the same thing is happening here too. Can you imagine that being allowed 3 or 4 years ago? It's sickening. By all means question people you suspect - but to throw them in jail and lose the key is obscene.

EDIT - damn, new page. Everybody go and read that post.

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"idiocy

Are you from America? The only possible excuse I can think of for your wrong opinions is that you haven't been presented with an alternative viewpoint, a serious problem in the US.

Or maybe you're just stupid.

Purple Tentacle

MojoJojo

I decided they were just trolling.
I think it's some forum regular* in disguise, deciding that another Bush thread would be boring since they generally go something like:

"Bush is crap",
"Yes",
"I agree",
"Well said",

So they decided to make things a bit more interesting.

*I have no idea which forum regular though. I'm terrible at identifying styles at the best of times. Best guess would be Almost Yearly

Vermschneid Mehearties

If it was a parody of anti-Moore sycophants, then it was astonishingly accurate, so whoever it was- well done. If however, it was genuine, then DistantAngel put up a bloody good response to it.