Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies With Dodgy Moral Messages

Started by Dead kate moss, July 10, 2012, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 09, 2012, 10:32:01 PM
The scene with the schoolgirl being gangraped to the sounds of Hixxy & Sharkey's "Toytown" also put me off tremendously.

I'm not sure which is worse, having to watch a scene in a film where a poor schoolgirl is getting gang raped in a seedy flat or having to listen to racket merchants Hixxy and cocking Sharkey knocking out their cacophonous bilge.

monkfromhavana

It was awful, there was a but on a garage forecourt that made me smile but that's about it.

I'd like to point out that it wasn't the gangrape of the schoolgirl that out me off, it was the Hixxy tune on the soundtrack, which (although a massively successful record on the rave scene) i hate with a passion that borders on..well idk, something pretty fucking terrible.

monkfromhavana

For anyone who doesn't know what Hixxy & Sharkey's "Toytown" sounds like, here you go. Imagine a teen being raped in a back room with this playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noRQeMvuyw#t=45s

danyulx

The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael: A Reversal of Opinion

On November 9 monkfromhavana brought up the film 'The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael'. I barged in like an imbecile declaring it to be "one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life," though to my credit I did say "I need to watch again", which I did, tonight.

I was wrong. I was full of shit, in fact.

No film so brilliantly sums up the absolute spiritual vacuum of these times, in Great Britain at least, as that film does. Nail on the head.

The film is flawed: the acting is a bit shit in places, and so on, but it's a very important film.

My only excuse for dismissing this film at the time I saw it - about four years ago - was that I was half-arsed writing a screenplay at the time, which I am now in pre-production on, whose toe was so blatantly dipped in the same pond as that film was, that some sort of "jealously" must have been involved, hence my negative backlash. I don't understand it, now.

Thomas Clay, if you are reading this, keep up the good work, I will follow your career trajectory to my dying day. Your film will live on after you are dead, whilst all rot will have long rotted.

Thursday

You know I'd often thought a lot of mobster movies like The Godfather and Goodfellas were good but a bit overrated. I've changed my mind now.

Endicott

Quote from: Dead kate moss on November 09, 2012, 10:40:48 PM
I love Gosford Park, but remember why
Spoiler alert
Clive Owen
[close]
cold-bloodedly murders
Spoiler alert
(in fact he doesn't because he's already dead) Michael Gambon
[close]
? Because
Spoiler alert
he's his real father
[close]
, and
Spoiler alert
shuffled him off to an orphanage
[close]
. Not very nice, and he's done it many times. Does he really deserve to die for that though?

I'm not convinced that was the reason
Spoiler alert
that he wanted to kill him. I thought it was because of the way that Gambon treated his mother, and many of the other young female employees that he knocked up.
[close]

Dead kate moss

Yes, but I think cold-blooded murder is a bit harsh. Or morally dodgy at least.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2012, 03:24:24 PM
Wes Anderson should be thrown into the sea for the last half hour of that movie. The first two-thirds have some nice ideas, great animation style etc., even if every role is miscast with Americans playing British woodland creatures. But by the end it's pretty much the ultimate 'let's shit in the mouth of Roald Dahl's corpse' adaptation, so I'd say the business with the son is the least of its worries.

Really? Did it accidentally say something nice about the jews?

Nobody Soup

The Incredibles? the bad guy was a fan shunned from being allowed to help the super heroes because he didn't have any himself, hence he becomes a twisted villain and then gets killed. also, if you are in somehow special, normal life is shit for you because you're entitled to more. know your place.