Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,345
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:08:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

list of worthwhile DOS games made between 85-97

Started by RickyGerbail, July 11, 2012, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-worthwhile-dos-games.73732/

ed: follow the link and click on the big picture to see the text.

pretty cool list, reminds me the decline of the gaming industry since the early 00's. i've started playing starcontrol 2 from this one, a lot of stuff from this game that mass effect used.

Dark Sky

Might be a lovely list!  But someone should tell them that giant pictures aren't the easiest way to read things on the Internet.

Also, Azrael's Tear isn't on it.

[Edit: Also...decline of the gaming industry?  Really?  There's been plenty of amazing games released since 2000, certainly at least two really good ones each year, which is about the quantity that this list claims.]

Jim Jarmusch

My mum wants to play the original System Shock on her Mac. I couldn't figure out an easy way to install it. She bought it off eBay. Day of Tentacle another one of her favourites worked with Scummvm.

RickyGerbail

use dosbox for system shock. ¨

ed: which might be a bit tricky if you've never used dos before, but doable with some work.

ed: but the upside is that when you learn it (it's just a couple of commands) you can play more or less all dos games.

madhair60

Alien Carnage isn't even a decent Apogee - where the fuck's Bio Menace?  Also, Alone in the Dark?  That isn't worth jack but nostalgia.  Ditto Battle Chess, Budokan... Crusader: No Remorse?  No, there's a reason shooters don't control like shit anymore.  Goblins Quest is terrible.  Strife is pish-weak, too.  Ditto Wacky Wheels.

Rest of the list is fine!  But there's shitloads missing.  And it's good to see ZZT on there.  I was thinking about making a CaB-based ZZT game yesterday.

RickyGerbail

list what is missing, i would be interested in playing it. remember that they've not included games that were released simultaneously as dos and windows games.

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: RickyGerbail on July 11, 2012, 05:30:03 PM
use dosbox for system shock.

I found a 6.31 GB torrent of all of them plus more wrapped in that Dosbox and fully Mac ready with a .app extension.

Selected just the ones I want.

dredd

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2012, 08:05:53 PM
Goblins Quest is terrible.

Care to expand on that a little? I'm not sure if you're just disparaging that particular sequel, or the series as a whole.

madhair60

Quote from: dredd on July 12, 2012, 12:29:44 AM
Care to expand on that a little? I'm not sure if you're just disparaging that particular sequel, or the series as a whole.

It's possible I'm thinking of a different game - Gobliiins.

dredd

Quote from: madhair60 on July 12, 2012, 03:12:35 PM
It's possible I'm thinking of a different game - Gobliiins.

It's part of the same series (Goblin Quest was the third installment). I understand why you might think it's terrible - a puzzle game with a bunch of unintuitive mechanics is going to fuck a lot of people right off.
What I like about it, beyond the cartoony slapstick, is that it manages to make the puzzles difficult without resorting too much to underhand tactics. The need for timing and positioning in certain solutions really cranks up the difficulty without bloating the game - it stays lean and mean by never overloading the player with an inventory full of red herrings and locations in which to use them.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2012, 08:05:53 PMAnd it's good to see ZZT on there.  I was thinking about making a CaB-based ZZT game yesterday.

Ha! Those were the days. I wonder if I could remember ZZT-OOP, if I sat down and played it again? Also, fuck me - the ZZT community is still alive. Just.

Did Goblins 3 ever actually work for anyone? I played it on the Amiga up to the level where you're flying around the clouds, and then it crashed. Downloaded it for the PC last year, played it up to the same point... and it crashed. Am I cursed or are all versions of that game utterly fucked? I loved Blount, though. Really fun character.

I really liked Strife, but it hasn't held up well at all. Amazing at the time though. 

Consignia

The Goblins series as a whole were buggy bastards. I remember frequently causing me grief as a kid because of their constant crashing. It's a shame because I really liked 2 and 3, because they were joyfully cartoony. I even once got away with some Goblins 3 fan-fiction in a creative writing piece of work in primary school.

SyntadxError

A pretty solid list, not sure why Epic Pinball is on there though, it was and still is a poor excuse for a pinball game, especially when the far superior Pinball Dreams was available.

alan nagsworth

Dungeon Keeper's not on there.

DUNGEON KEEPER'S NOT ON THERE.

That was a DOS game, wasn't it? Well, if it was and it's not on that list then fuck the world.

Replies From View

Always hard to tell whether things like this have value beyond nostalgia.  DOSappointed (!!!) and surprised that Prince of Persia the first one isn't on there.  I have a soft spot for Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, but that might be a bit obscure.

Also:  no Monkey Island games at all?

Fuck retina displays.  Give me a choice between VGA, EGA and CGA please.

Consignia

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2012, 07:53:51 PM
Also:  no Monkey Island games at all?

It appears both are on there, or they have confused a screenshot and desription of MI with MI2.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2012, 07:53:51 PM
Always hard to tell whether things like this have value beyond nostalgia.

Dungeon Keeper does! I woke up with a steaming hangover at my mate's house a couple of months back and heard him slapping the living daylights out of some imps and building treasuries in the next room and I was immediately roused from my slumber and in the room with him, giving him stern advice on where to first knock through into enemy territory.

Then he told me I'd been sick all over his bathroom the night before, and made me clean it up. I shan't be drinking there again.

Replies From View

Wanted you out of his room, dude, and that's all.  You were not sick and never have been.  I'm sorry.

alan nagsworth

He would have had to pre-empt the whole thing, which, after a quick thought process, leads me to believe that he simply wanted to play Dungeon Keeper every day as soon as he woke up, but knew I would crash at his house when the party ended and wake up and get involved to the point of irritance. He must have been planning this for weeks. It even smelled like my sick and everything, no wonder he matched me drink for drink that night.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Replies From View

You're welcome Nags.

By the way if he tends to hover outside the toilet while you're having a poo at his place, chuckling away and always saying "do you need a spoon mate?" I think I know him.

Made me clear up vomit too, and I've never been so much as "sick" since the day I was born.

madhair60