Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Nexus 7

Started by wasp_f15ting, July 11, 2012, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 09, 2013, 04:45:21 PM
The new version of broken sword 1 is particularly good on both.

It's great. Has anyone finished it without recourse to a walkthrough? I desperately didn't want to, but would never have finished it otherwise.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 09, 2013, 04:52:16 PM
It's great. Has anyone finished it without recourse to a walkthrough? I desperately didn't want to, but would never have finished it otherwise.
I finished it, apart from the bit at the beginning which is new its largely the same as the original. Never did get in that safe though.

biggytitbo

Can anyone  recommend any similar games on either android or ios?

Ignatius_S

Broken Sword 2?

Are you more interested in new games or 'remastered' ones?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 09, 2013, 07:00:52 PM
Broken Sword 2?

Are you more interested in new games or 'remastered' ones?

Either I guess. I've played Broken Sword 2 many times and it's not a patch on 1 so I'm giving that one a miss.

biggytitbo

Ohh I forget the Last Express is out for Ipad, I'll have to get that - http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/the-last-express

Steven

That Letter By Letter is infuriating, I've only had two games but from what I can make of it the only tactic is to play one letter each round and try and incorporate as many of your opponents letters into the word as possible. I lost my first game by very little but managed to win the second, with words like divergent and theremin vs a bloke called melsmith, twas it the Morons From Outerspace bloke? Or some bloke called Melbert Smith from like Clacton-On-Sea or something.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Steven on January 09, 2013, 08:26:56 PM
...try and incorporate as many of your opponents letters into the word as possible...
That is essentially the game yes. It's good! There's a similar one called letterpress which is pretty nice too, but thats ios only.

KLG-7B

Quote from: Steven on January 09, 2013, 08:26:56 PM
That Letter By Letter is infuriating, I've only had two games but from what I can make of it the only tactic is to play one letter each round and try and incorporate as many of your opponents letters into the word as possible.
That's more the premise than a tactic. The tactics will revolve around somehow blocking your opponent, e.g. by carefully choosing words so that it's very difficult to incorporate the letters you've won into new words (especially easy around corners). Playing words that you can just add S to is a bad idea. Playing a word with the letters xyz in them (if such a word exists) would probably require three turns from the opponent to get rid of (unless they amazingly find another word with xyz in them).

Steven

Quote from: KLG-7B on January 09, 2013, 08:56:10 PM
That's more the premise than a tactic. The tactics will revolve around somehow blocking your opponent, e.g. by carefully choosing words so that it's very difficult to incorporate the letters you've won into new words (especially easy around corners). Playing words that you can just add S to is a bad idea. Playing a word with the letters xyz in them (if such a word exists) would probably require three turns from the opponent to get rid of (unless they amazingly find another word with xyz in them).

Yes, that seems to be the obvious tactic. But each new letter you plonk down opens a new space above it, so technically you can do just as well trying to use all your own letters in these spaces. But stealing opponents spaces seem like the easiest option. I did desperately want to use the word 'Flange' though, but the opportunity just didn't arrive.

biggytitbo

Stealing your opponents letters is more fun aswell because it annoys them.

KLG-7B

Quote from: Steven on January 09, 2013, 09:08:13 PM
Yes, that seems to be the obvious tactic. But each new letter you plonk down opens a new space above it, so technically you can do just as well trying to use all your own letters in these spaces. But stealing opponents spaces seem like the easiest option. I did desperately want to use the word 'Flange' though, but the opportunity just didn't arrive.
I find the game pretty boring until endgame, when there is limited space. There's just too much freedom early on.

biggytitbo

'Word On' is another good one, another scrabble variation but you get to build up a score through the game without getting it stolen from you.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 09, 2013, 12:40:13 PM
Jerzy, I'm pretty hot on that game so those are dangerous words.
I play better if I set myself up for a fall - and what a fall! One fucking point.

biggytitbo

Yes its pretty sweet to beat the opponent by one single point, far better than winning easily.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The very remote possibility that I may shortly get a job requiring a two hour commute has got me thinking about getting one of these to keep me occupied on the journey. I see they now make a 3G version, so which data plan is best? Also does iPlayer work on it?

Paaaaul

IPlayer works on it,but it isn't supported,so you'll need to find the apk files for Flash and iplayer and install it manually.

MojoJojo

Uhhh, pretty sure iplayer works officially now. Although the quality was a bit shit last time I checked.

biggytitbo

Tteres an iplayer app now, but it is indeed shit.

Lee Van Cleef

Got my N7 today, quick fiddle around before I have tea and go out, seems like a really nice bit of kit. 

Old Thrashbarg

As did I. Not had much of a play around with it yet, but I already know I like Android, particularly 4.*, and the hardware seems a bargain for the price. Good build quality, great screen and responsiveness, and exactly the right shape and size for a portable tablet to browse websites or stream media.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 31, 2013, 06:11:21 PM
As did I. Not had much of a play around with it yet, but I already know I like Android, particularly 4.*, and the hardware seems a bargain for the price. Good build quality, great screen and responsiveness, and exactly the right shape and size for a portable tablet to browse websites or stream media.
I mostly agree, but I think its actually a really bad size and shape for web browsing. It's too narrow in portrait, effectively a mobile, and too shallow and not wide enough in landscape.

Loathe as I am to say it but Apple have totally nailed the form factor with the ipad mini, it's just the perfect size and shape. If they put a retina screen on one then it'd blow the small android tablets out of the water.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 31, 2013, 06:38:56 PM
Loathe as I am to say it but Apple have totally nailed the form factor with the ipad mini, it's just the perfect size and shape. If they put a retina screen on one then it'd blow the small android tablets out of the water.

Might not last.  My unfounded guess is that they ultimately intend to make their devices become "widescreen" like the iPhone 5.