Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slender

Started by Rev, July 12, 2012, 02:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev

I haven't noticed any talk about this free game that's ruffling feathers and causing a buzz.  For once I'd say it's warranted.  It's based on - yeah, I know - the Slenderman thing.  If you're not familiar with that, it's something that started on a photoshop thread on Something Awful a few years back and has been run into the ground since.  It spawned the poorly-acted but quite compelling web series Marble Hornets, and now this.

The less said the better, really.  If you've played Amnesia then you'll be in familiar territory, but this is a very simple concept done very well.  A successful run-through will take you maybe ten minutes, but it's hard as hell.

There's something of a buzz about this one so the 'official' website has removed it because it was getting hammered.  It should be downloadable here:  http://www.digitalclark.tk/dcfcenter/Slender_Windows.html  There is a mac version, but you're on your own in finding that one.

I am unable to play this, alas, as I have but a very rickety old laptop (although am I to understand it has very minimal specs? In which case it might be possible), but my interest was piqued, so I watched some bits and bobs on Youtube. Fucking terrifying.
Even with VideoGameCarnage doing his best Stephen Merchant impression over the top of it I was filling my britches in minutes.

madhair60

It's a shame the Slenderman model is such pump.  But I assume they'll be fixing that.

Rev

The specs are pretty low as there's nothing too complicated going on in it, so your laptop might well be fine, Wild.

I assume the trees and such are standard Unity assets, because everything else does look a bit ropey, particularly Slenderman.  It has been updated several times in the last few weeks, so who knows, maybe the models will be tinkered with.  It's the bits where the bugger's not on-screen that make it for me, anyway.