Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's the most wonderful time of the year (Steam summer sale)

Started by Josef K, July 12, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dark Sky on July 14, 2012, 09:30:32 PM
If it drops any more in price I'll definitely get that one.  Come on you 75% offs!

If its a daily deal then it won't be cheaper later in the sale, unless you meant that you'd wait for as long as it takes.

Dark Sky

You sure?  It might be a Flash deal at some point!

But I think Dead Island is a "wait until it's really cheap" one; after all the nonplussed reviews it received I'm not that excited about it, but kinda feel I should give it a little look in.

madhair60

I picked up Dead Island a few months back.  It really is powerfully shit.

madhair60

For the next five hours Batman: Arkham City is £6.79.  I cannot stress enough how good a deal that is; get it, for fuck's sake.

Beagle 2

I know nowt about games but if anyone spots anything for Mac for cheapys that they think I should own let us know!

wasp_f15ting

Thanks for that Madhair, got that and La Noire too. I got it on the PS3 but never played it...

Is the catwoman DLC in the PC version?

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI suppose with it being Steam you cant just sell it on either.

Oh but we're entering the world of Batshit Insania where you CAN. You can sell on an identical file for an artificially depreciated 'value'!

Dark Sky

I tried playing Arkham Asylum but gave up after an hour because I thought it was...well...terrible.

Should I still give Arkham City a chance, or am I a lost cause?

Quote from: Dark Sky on July 15, 2012, 05:40:25 PM
I tried playing Arkham Asylum but gave up after an hour because I thought it was...well...terrible.

Should I still give Arkham City a chance, or am I a lost cause?

If you didn't like Arkham Asylum then don't bother with Arkham City, the first is the vastly superior game.

madhair60

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 15, 2012, 06:27:40 PM
If you didn't like Arkham Asylum then don't bother with Arkham City, the first is the vastly superior game.

D'y'think?  I would disagree there.  They're both great but there's so much more to do in City, the boss battles aren't shit, the secrets are more interesting and don't require obscure knowledge of stupid Batman lore, the fighting is better... the only way City really falls down is in the BORING AS FUCK Catwoman bits.

I can see an argument for Asylum in that it uses its location in a more interesting way, and City takes a bit of a "throw all this shit at the wall and see what sticks" approach, but a lot of it sticks.

bomb_dog

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2012, 07:07:19 AM
Bought Max Payne 3.... [couldn't get it to work]

...same experience here with both 'Really Big Sky' and 'Ion Assault'. Admittedly, they were both in Indie Bundles but I paid above the average. RBS doesn't work with sticks properly and the fix they implemented didn't work, and Ion Assault won't start a game without crashing. The Steam forums are very quiet, and I'm sure I'd be made to be foolish by the Steam lot if I tried to ask them for help. I can't play either!

These two problems alone make me value the days of buying a physical copy of a game, (plus reading the instructions on the bus home all excitedly), and it if didn't work, being able to 'bang on the counter' for help, as my dad would say. No wonder people like consoles so they don't have this hassle.

There are so many bits of different software and permutations of hardware on any machine it must be a nightmare trying to test different setups. I want to support Indie software but not at the expense of little-to-no comeback.

Custard

Is the Back To The Future game worth a punt?

Huge fan of the films (isn't everyone?)

Zetetic

I've not heard that they are. RPS review.

But I haven't been driven to buy anything in this sale yet.

wasp_f15ting

So.. I downloaded Civilization V.. I feel like an absolute idiot I keep losing :(

Does it get easier..??

madhair60

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 15, 2012, 08:04:36 PM
Is the Back To The Future game worth a punt?

Huge fan of the films (isn't everyone?)

Yes.  If you're a huge fan.  They're not great as games, but as BttF fanservice they're absolutely wonderful.  You'll have a grin on your face the entire first half hour at the very least.

Dark Sky

Bastion is currently £2.86 in a flash sale...you'd be mad not to buy it at that price if you don't have it already!

Wilbur

Quote from: Dark Sky on July 16, 2012, 01:03:48 AM
Bastion is currently £2.86 in a flash sale...you'd be mad not to buy it at that price if you don't have it already!

Damn missed that !! Ta anyway

Wilbur

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on July 15, 2012, 08:38:04 PM
So.. I downloaded Civilization V.. I feel like an absolute idiot I keep losing :(

Does it get easier..??

The cilvilisation series (and colonisation before it) is deceptively simple. Rushing in and trying to bash everyone to death wont work. Its worth while reading the manuals (or online help these days I guess) to understand the mechanics. Once you have a better understanding of these it becomes, not simpler, but understandable. Your starting point is incredibly important, dont just accept the location the game suggets, find somewhere with water, food and high levels of resources. Pick you race carefully dependant on how you want to play. Its well worth persevering if you can afford to lose months of your life ;)

Quote from: Zetetic on July 15, 2012, 08:24:10 PM
But I haven't been driven to buy anything in this sale yet.

Same here. I've got my eye on a few indie games (Eversion, Analogue: A Hate Story, Inside a Star-Filled Sky, Waves, maybe Dinner Date) and I'll get them on the last day if they haven't already dipped in price even more before then, but other than that nothing's really grabbed me.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition now £7.49 due to the flash sale for the vanilla game (£3.74). 75% off so unlikely to go any cheaper in a daily deal.

Wilbur

I just got the cheaper version on the basis of its good reviews and vaguely remembering it being discussed here before.......

Zetetic

While I've used it as an opportunity to get the 4 (and sort of 1 and a bit) add-ons at a moderately reasonable price.

Toast

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2012, 01:01:00 PM
For the next five hours Batman: Arkham City is £6.79.  I cannot stress enough how good a deal that is; get it, for fuck's sake.

FUCK!

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2012, 07:44:02 PM
D'y'think?  I would disagree there.  They're both great but there's so much more to do in City, the boss battles aren't shit, the secrets are more interesting and don't require obscure knowledge of stupid Batman lore, the fighting is better... the only way City really falls down is in the BORING AS FUCK Catwoman bits.

I can see an argument for Asylum in that it uses its location in a more interesting way, and City takes a bit of a "throw all this shit at the wall and see what sticks" approach, but a lot of it sticks.

I've just been replaying it actually, partly to do the side missions, which I didn't get to do the first time, because some of them become closed off after you do the main mission which fucking annoyed me because the game ends very abruptly and I wouldn't have gone onto the final mission if I knew I was going past a point of no return. It really doesn't do anything to flag this up, which is very shit of it.

I can see why it was necessary to bigger world, as that's kind of the rule of sequels and standing on massive rooftops, looking at the world below feels very Batman, so that's fun, but it's attempts to make it more dramatic and feel like you're racing against the clock  ruins it. It's a fake time limit anyway, so it just makes Hugo Strange look like he has the most appalling time keeping skills. But it doesn't make sense for you to be collecting Riddler trophies when you're racing against the clock. It spoils both the immersion in the story and the free roaming elements.

Whereas Asylum has a better paced story with more variety, and it's actually a lot longer as well, I think the boss battles get a little bit too much flak anyway, most of them still function well enough, they're just very formulaic compared to the rest of the game. At least in Asylum, I knew the final boss was the final boss. In City, I thought I was a little way off and I thought something else was going to happen to take the game through another couple of hours.

Zetetic

Two minutes left to buy it...

Any recommendations which DLC to start with? I'm thinking Honest Hearts or Old World Blues.

Josef K

Dear Esther currently going for £1.74. Probably the best gaming experience I've had this year and worth it just to marvel at how a game running on the Source engine can have better looking caves than skyrim

madhair60

Quote from: Josef K on July 16, 2012, 06:15:14 PM
Dear Esther currently going for £1.74. Probably the best gaming experience I've had this year and worth it just to marvel at how a game running on the Source engine can have better looking caves than skyrim

Will buy.  Thanks.

wasp_f15ting

I got dear esther :)

Thanks Josef.

So many games.. dunno when i'll play them.

Is Metro 2033 worth a punt for its £3.74 price tag?