Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dust 514 Beta

Started by Jim Jarmusch, July 15, 2012, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jarmusch

Visit the link. I don't really play games so haven't heard of this before.

http://t.co/022tbDcU

biggytitbo

A game with futuristic super soldiers?

How novel!

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 16, 2012, 11:28:18 AM
A game with futuristic super soldiers?

How novel!

You kidding right?

This game will run in unison with the EVE online servers, so players from two different games can interact with each other on macro-detail.

For example you may be playing Dust 514 but find yourself getting held back due to a lack of firepower or numbers or find yourselves pinned on a constant and dynamic map. If you knew me, you could say 'OI hangthebuggers, I need help'  and then in EVE online I could bring my ship full of cargo and drop it off for you giving you new weapons or aid, or even better I could bring a destroyer and attack a 'zone' on your planet and possibly eliminate your opponents with bombardments etc.

Possibly the most innovative thing to happen to modern gaming in years and will hopefully bring more players to EVE aswell as providing yet another level of depth to the EVE universe. Dust players will provide benefits to Eve players and vice versa, they will share a global market, voice comms and chat windows and many other features.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-22-how-exactly-will-dust-514-and-eve-online-work-together

(and EVE is already one of the most-indepth and tactical games I've ever played). Even if this concept fails, it's a very bold move.

Jim Jarmusch

I deleted it the same night. You're right about it being an ambitious attempt and it's not one for the casual gamer. I struggled getting to grips with what the hell is going on and don't have the time to invest in anything this demanding.

It's worth having a look. I'm sure a lot of people will find it a rewarding experience as same group who understood MAG.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 18, 2012, 01:24:44 AM
I deleted it the same night. You're right about it being an ambitious attempt and it's not one for the casual gamer. I struggled getting to grips with what the hell is going on and don't have the time to invest in anything this demanding.

It's worth having a look. I'm sure a lot of people will find it a rewarding experience as same group who understood MAG.

Oh so you've had a blast? By what you're saying, I'm guessing it's in-depth and time-consuming? Kinda like EVE - although in that game long amounts of time can pass without any major events occurring, which makes blowing up an expensive ship all the more sweeter, since we've used patience and strategy to achieve it.

I guess Dust 514 is the opposite, much more action?

Milo

I had a quick go on the beta but didn't really get along with it. This is partly because on console FPSs I die instantly and also there's no tutorials or anything yet to give hints as to what you're meant to be doing. It may not work too well without being in the context of EVE events but hard to say.

Still, it looks pretty and sure it'll be interesting for most of EVE, if not for those of us living in wormhole space :)