Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantastic Critters #17

Started by Cerys, July 19, 2012, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Some beauties from my private collection

Mr Eggs

Thats one pretty lil Smooth Newt.

BlodwynPig

Feel sorry for it, my mum's pond has a leak and is overrun with duck weed. Waiting til the summer is over to fix that. Critters still seem to abound (frogs and newts), but don't know how much stress they are under.

ZoyzaSorris

we absolutely sure its not a palmate? it is in a palm, which is a key indicator.

small_world

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 19, 2012, 08:03:14 PM
Some beauties from my private collection

What the fuck are you doing?

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 19, 2012, 08:11:18 PM
Feel sorry for it, my mum's pond has a leak and is overrun with duck weed. Waiting til the summer is over to fix that. Critters still seem to abound (frogs and newts), but don't know how much stress they are under.

wouldnt worry about that, they love the weed and are tolerant of leaks in a manner you might otherwise ascribe to a welsh trustafarian.

small_world

Ha, wow that's really weird.

I thought you'd stolen some of my photos, I have some really similar ones (mine are more shit and I can't find the really similar newt one I was looking for).

The ones I was thinking of were from the same album that has these... My Hadrian's wall and other adventures album

(the one I thought you'd stolen from... )

BlodwynPig

Nice, very nice. Especially your sheep in the background...an old grumbler.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 19, 2012, 08:11:18 PM

The duckweed aint an issue and neither is the pond leak ( Well, as far as adult amphibians are concerned. The buggers only need ponds to breed in. They are mostly terrestrial at this time of year) .All nipper frogs and toads should have fucked off out of the water by now so that just leaves the newt tadpoles. As long as there is 6" of reasonably oxygenated water left, some of them will make it to the next stage in their life cycle and become an 'Eft'.

(It could be a Palmate...Too trixy to tell outside the breeding season....Unless a sub-adult...Thems piss easy to tell apart)

BlodwynPig

I was under the impression it was a common newt. I saw a few tadpoles a few weeks ago, got them back in after clearing some of the overgrowth.

Mr Eggs

It almost certainly is a Smooth (Or 'Common') newt. They have rather fetching golden-ringed eyes if you look close up. If you flick the buggers over and they've got spotted throats then they are deffo Smooth Newts.

Cerys

Cerys

One of our new alien overlords.  Or possibly just a fractal sea slug[nb]It's a blue dragon sea slug[/nb].

Mr Eggs

my deep-sea Ostracod is in love with one.

Koant

The blue Glaucus is pretty badass too! It feeds on Portuguese Man o' War and uses the stings for its own defense.

ZoyzaSorris

love the fact that there so many zoology nuts on here.

Mr Eggs

The Mimic Octopus takes the piss.

The ' Big moustache'

The 'Fractal'

the 'Pimp walk'

The 'Space-age lion Rasta'

biggytitbo

Mr Eggs

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 19, 2012, 11:10:37 PM
Is that Elton John?
No, but they are working on a project together.

Jemble Fred

Mr Eggs

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 19, 2012, 10:48:37 PM

It is simply the Roslin Institute Burns Night Maglev Haggis. They had to up their game after Dolly the sheep died young.

Johnny Yesno

Mr Eggs

Awww... Bless its daft fucking face.

mook

last and not least. the bob todd fish.

ZoyzaSorris

Fleshlights have let themselves go!

(callback)

Cephalopods and neotonous amphibians are always hard to beat in this kind of field. (Easy to beat in a field, unless its a flooded meadow)

Buelligan

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 19, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Cor!

I've loved these for long time.

We have lots of Hummingbird Hawkmoths here, which are pretty lovely.  Yesterday, I had an Elephant Hawkmoth in my bedroom[nb]which was nice.[/nb].