Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone for Torchlight?

Started by monolith, July 21, 2012, 02:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Just picked up the demo on the recommendation of a friend, saying it's the real sequel to Diablo 2 as it is made by the original team and not the abomination that is Diablo 3.

Seems excellent so far, really feels like a Diablo game. Think I'm going to pre-order Torchlight 2 (only £20!) which lets you get the orginal game for free right now. The original doesn't have co-op but TL2 will do and it should be out within weeks. Doesn't force you to be online if you want to play offline and doesn't have any of the other bastardisations the Blizzard have put in with D3.

I'm pretty excited about this one.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: monolith on July 21, 2012, 02:10:14 AM
Just picked up the demo on the recommendation of a friend, saying it's the real sequel to Diablo 2 as it is made by the original team and not the abomination that is Diablo 3....

Kinda. The sound designer and composer worked on Diablo I & II. Two of the designers from the Diablo I and II games developed Torchlight (and are co-founders of the company responsible), but the lead developer (and another company co-founder) Travis Baldree hadn't worked on worked on any of the Diablo games. Quite a lot of the Torchlight team had worked with Baldree on Mythos, the team for which was mainly made up of people that had worked on Diablo. Another company co-founder worked on  D I & II. Although there clearly is a strong Diablo connection, it's not quite the same team produced Torchlight!

Although there's an obvious influence from Diablo, there's also a massive influence from FATE, a Diablo clone that Baldree produced - and in fact, when Torchlight was unveiled, the more vehement accusations about it being a clone or rip-off, was of the FATE similarity and even now, it gets called FATE 2 rather a lot. You might have seen it on the site already, but there's a blog post about how much extra content there is over the first one (and with a most visual link) here.

By the way, I think you meant $20, not £20! Are there any characters in the new one that you particularly like the look of?

monolith

$20? Excellent, seems I misread!

And yeah I've seen how much extra stuff there is in the second, it's the co op that I'm most looking forward to though. Me and a mate of mine used to play the original Diablo online before we were even teenagers and whilst we had good fun with Diablo 2 as well we'd been waiting for Diablo 3 for ages, but then Blizzard turned a bit cunty and we decided not to bother. TL2 looks just what the doctor ordered though.

Never heard of FATE to be honest, it looks alright but as with TL 1, doesn't seem to be multiplayer.

I quite like the look of the Embermage from TL2.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: monolith on July 21, 2012, 08:20:53 PM
$20? Excellent, seems I misread!

And yeah I've seen how much extra stuff there is in the second, it's the co op that I'm most looking forward to though. Me and a mate of mine used to play the original Diablo online before we were even teenagers and whilst we had good fun with Diablo 2 as well we'd been waiting for Diablo 3 for ages, but then Blizzard turned a bit cunty and we decided not to bother. TL2 looks just what the doctor ordered though.

Never heard of FATE to be honest, it looks alright but as with TL 1, doesn't seem to be multiplayer.

I quite like the look of the Embermage from TL2.

Yup, great value - it's a selling point that the company always push and it's nice to see! Steam had TL for £3.74  - and I think it's been pretty canny of Runic giving a free copy of TL with TL2, as it must be whetting the appetites of more people!

FATE was usually seen as being pitched at a more casual market than Diablo - elements like the pet can be seen as TL. In any case, quite a lot of people seem to be seeing TL2 as the 'real' D3 - it was quite interesting how many people were mentioning TL2 when D3 came out. Personally, it's really the single-player that I'm most interested in and it looks great how much new content there is. I haven't tried any TL mods but think this will be different with TL2 - I do like how they've encourage that.

I rather like the look of the Outlander and Engineer classes, but think I'll try 'em all!

monolith

And it's out!

I'm going to be going with Embermage I think. After a couple of weeks playing solo I'd be up for some co-op action if any of you chaps are going to buy it. All of my mates have grown out of games.

Well one hasn't but he is so broke that he can't even afford Torchlight 2. I might just buy it for him actually...

Ignatius_S

Yup - played it as soon as it launched at 6, for two and a half hours. Playing as an Engineer and really approve of the various enhancements. Would be up for playing online sometime!

Ignatius_S

Additional content has been promised and will be free, which is a rather nice bonus.

monolith

I haven't played any games on my PC for months and my GPU seems to be over heating after only 20 minutes or so of playing, which is infuriating. My room is dusty as hell so I'm going to clean it and then play with the case open and a fan on it, but for now I've barely played at all. Well annoying!

Have you tried multiplayer yet? I haven't even looked into it. I remember reading a while ago that they were doing it peer to peer, is that still the case or do they have dedicated servers? My mate has said that he is going to buy it tonight, so might have a game a bit later if you are up for it but we would both only be level 1 and I live in a house with a crapload of other people and only have a wireless connection which sometimes can be a bit dodgy.