Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-Christians are 'crazy', pilot tells terrified passengers

Started by european son, February 09, 2004, 02:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

another lazy BBC News thread... sorry, honestly... but this made me laugh

QuoteAn American Airlines pilot terrified passengers on his flight when he asked Christians to identify themselves and went on to call non-Christians "crazy".

QuoteThe pilot, whose name was not released, asked Christians on Friday's flight to raise their hands.

He then suggested non-Christians talk to the Christians about their faith.

He went on to say that "everyone who doesn't have their hand raised is crazy", passenger Amanda Nelligan told CBS news.

"He continued to say, 'Well, you have a choice: you can make this trip worthwhile, or you can sit back, read a book and watch the movie'," she said.

The pilot also told passengers he would be available for discussion at the end of the flight.

twatloops

I like the comment AA made about it being personal opinion being used in an incorrect situation.  I think you could safely say that's about right.

smoker

he has got to have been pissed or high. either that or it's a practical joke

Morrisfan82

Ahh, sanctimonious believers eh. What exactly is their fucking problem.

Still Not George

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Still Not George"But President Bush says God is real, so he must be.

Don't be silly, if God were real then he would be really pissed off with planes flying into his enormous eyes all the time.

Maybe that's why he lets bad things happen.

Pinball

I'm not a Christian, and I'm not a non-Christian either (i.e. Muslim, which is what that racist idiot pilot meant). I'm an agnostic, and don't wish to be associated with any religion. Fuck religion.

Vermschneid Mehearties

All religion does is intrude into the lives of sensible people. Pinball is right. Fuck religion. It's fucking shit. When's the last time you saw religion doing anything that impressed you?

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"When's the last time you saw religion doing anything that impressed you?

oh i dunno, mother theresa, salvie army, something like that?

religions all very well and good so long as you keep it to yourself and don't let it go to your head

Vermschneid Mehearties

Yes I agree. Don't let your faith intrude on any other peoples lives whatsoever.

Mother Teresa impressed me. I wasn't impressed by the fact she was a Buddhist. And the Salvation Army came recruiting da'kids when I was at Primary School. Therefore they are cunts and should be pulped.

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Mother Teresa impressed me. I wasn't impressed by the fact she was a Buddhist.

???????????????????????? she's just been beatified!

Pinball

People should be free to develop their own beliefs, preferably based on evidence. The imposition of a belief system is a crime.

smoker

Quote from: "Pinball"People should be free to develop their own beliefs, preferably based on evidence. The imposition of a belief system is a crime.

but that's an oxymoron. by saying someone's beliefs should be based on evidence wherever possible, you're imposing your ideas on them. however i entirely agree with the second sentence. have you ever read any early louis de bernieres?

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quote???????????????????????? she's just been beatified!

*sigh*

I was trying to be funny. I'll stop and stop now.

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"
Quote???????????????????????? she's just been beatified!

*sigh*

I was trying to be funny. I'll stop and stop now.

:) i get it. love you VM

Vermschneid Mehearties

I love it when God makes inanimate objects (usually in churches in Eire) do wacky things. For instance, there was a well-documented case of a statue of Jesus on the cross that squirted water out of the holes in His hands and feet on Good Friday. Pilgrims travelled from all over, just to be sprayed by Jesus.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Thanks MM. You immediatly reminded me of:

"Statues driving cars...WHATS GOING ON?"

"Try to these bog-brained murphys. You'd have more chance of getting a blowjob from the Pope."

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "smoker"oh i dunno, mother theresa, salvie army, something like that?
I read an article many years ago that said that Mother Theresa was actually a self-publicising evil old witch who actually fucked up a lot of the people she was trying to help.

Sadly it's far too long ago to remember who, where, why or how.  I just remember I was quite convinced by it, and left feeling somewhat shocked.

Funky Gibbon

Quote from: "smoker"
???????????????????????? she's just been beatified!

Thanks for the chance of reposting this.

Beattyfied.

This thread seems very familiar.

wheatgod

Quote from: "Pinball"Fuck religion.
Amen to that!

oops

gazzyk1ns

Hehe the pilot has the exact opposite belief that I have... ties in quite well with the other thread, doesn't it?

terrorist

somewhere in a secret bunker ..............
http://www.loake.netfirms.com/BushBinLaden.jpg

Sorry that's much bigger than I thought it would be - I'm just testing my ability to post pictures again as it wasn't working on the previous forum before the renaissance.

how come you have to edit stuff twice before it says edited?

hymen spaz

religion has tended to start wars and generally get people acting in a stupid - reinforcing the theory that a person is clever - people are stupid.

the way i see it is that people can belive what they want as long as it doesn't affect other people [well me that is] in a detrimental way. i was called spawn of the devil at secondry school as i questioned why the big man/woman/cow let things like starvation in africa happen. cheers  teach.

Bogey

I was listening to the radio the other day, and it was that Sir Robert Wiston, the Fertility Expert on Devout Sceptics, and he proposed the interesting notion that, in the early days of the human-types, given that there were very few of us about, and that we were a severely threatened species, it could have been that those of us who, in some primitive way, managed to conceive of some "otherness", "transcendence", call-it-what-you-will, which gave them more of an impetus to stick together and survive, were the ones which did survive and thus passed it on. I liked that idea.

However, this is the "twenty-first" century.

Not surprisingly, I find the idea of religion these days absurd.
At the basis of any religion, as far as I'm aware, is some sort of belief. This, for me, is the height of absurdity. However, the notion of belief does not end at the frickin chuch gates. For some strange reason, even in the absence of religion, people still like to attribute it to all sorts of things. Most influential of these being political ideology.
A political-type whose system of thought has any connection with ideas of "blind faith" and such frightens me a bit.
And so, even in an unprecedentedly Godless society, it is still the height of nobility to "stand up for what one believes in"

I reserve the right to change my mind, thank you very much.

thatmuch

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "smoker"oh i dunno, mother theresa, salvie army, something like that?
I read an article many years ago that said that Mother Theresa was actually a self-publicising evil old witch who actually fucked up a lot of the people she was trying to help.

Sadly it's far too long ago to remember who, where, why or how.  I just remember I was quite convinced by it, and left feeling somewhat shocked.

"The Missionary Position" by Christopher Hitchens is the relevant book. He did a TV documentary. The Mother Teresa myth falls apart as soon as you touch it. Her dying patients were kept in very poor conditions and denied strong analgesics (pain is virtuous) while huge amounts of money diappeared, she taught that poverty was a virtue and the greatest evil in the world was abortion.

Like Joan of Arc and all the others, bag of shite. Saints are the *worst*.

Quote from: "thatmuch"[The Mother Teresa myth falls apart as soon as you touch it.
But she looked the part, all crinkly and wrapped in teatowels. God loves fancy dress!

Still Not George

But - surely everyone wants to get into the Kingdom of Heaven? You must be mad not to hear the Good News!

(breaking cover for a moment - I had an interesting conversation with one of these 'My religion is the only one that can possibly be right and you all must be insane not to accept it's truth' types on the train a while back. My arguments consisted of "But surely you must be aware of the inconsistencies in the Bible?" and "But, even your own Holy Scripture contradicts that in..." and "But if one assumes there is no God, then that argument becomes invalid since..."
Hers? "Hell's not a nice place, you know." "Are you sure you want to abandon the only chance you have?" "How can you be sure? I mean, the possibility of eternal torment must have occured to you?"
Eventually I shut her up with "I tell you what. We can both go on with our lives - you giving all your time to a God that may or may not exist, and me enjoying the life I've got, and afterwards we can compare notes and see who was right, OK?" And then I changed seat. Stinking evangelists.)

Repent! Repent now! For the sake of all your souls!

Qatar-wol

Quote from: "Still Not George"I had an interesting conversation with

Don't talk to them!  You can't talk to them!  You might as well try to reason with a machine!

QuoteMen never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal  (who have a gurls name and is gay LOL!!!!!1)

zozman

Quote from: "Qatar-wol"
Quote from: "Still Not George"I had an interesting conversation with

QuoteMen never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal  (who have a gurls name and is gay LOL!!!!!1)

Good quote!