Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

London 2012 - Xbox game

Started by buntyman, July 28, 2012, 03:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

This game is great fun, lots of events lots of multiplayer options and a good level of difficulty. I've just started playing it today so my opinion on it may change drastically but for now, I really like it and I hope lots of you lot buy it so that we can compete for records.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm a sucker for athletics games, despite them always being a little disappointing.

Will it be as good as Konami International Track And Field for the Game Boy?

I quite enjoyed Sydney 2000 on the Dreamcast as it had some unusual sports that were quite fun, and it looked swish. Other than that, I had Atlanta '96 for the PC which was a US Gold game, and a bit crap.

biggytitbo

Can't we do this but on Daley Thompsons Decathlon instead?

Jamie Oliver is fat

It's alright, but I got bored after playing it once and won't play it again

It only has a tiny number of events, which is a shame because the engine is good and it would be good to have an olympic game like olden days with dozens and dozens of events

KLG-7A

How much is it? Somebody told me it's not available for download, so I'm guessing it's a proper game on a disc from shops. It would only make sense to me as a cheap download title.

buntyman

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 28, 2012, 08:16:55 PM
It's alright, but I got bored after playing it once and won't play it again

It only has a tiny number of events, which is a shame because the engine is good and it would be good to have an olympic game like olden days with dozens and dozens of events

That's true, for a £40 game there should be a few more events but it must take a lot more effort than the olden days to add extra events. You certainly couldn't have team sports very easily. Apart from the a few too many swimming events, I think it chooses the events pretty well that would translate well to a fun computer game.
My one criticism is that my experience of pressing buttons really rapidly isn't as well utilised as in most track and field type games I'm used to. Timing and rhythm is rewarded more than button bashing is.
I'll revise my recommendation to buy and suggest instead you rent for the duration of the games.

KLG-7A

Depressed Beyond Tables

Much better to have an option where you can mix events. Like take a javelin into the 400m relays also with the ability to throw it. Or play as a walker in the boxing.

Thursday

Until there's an Olympic video game that allows you to play every single sport at the Olympics without exception, I'm not interested.

turnstyle

I broke the world record in discus last night.

Then I looked around me and realised that I'd achieved nothing tangible, and that as an adult man the hour I'd spent playing the game would have been better used fixing the light in the bathroom.

This was rudely bought home to me when my girlfriend slipped in the toilet and fractured her skull on the sink in the dark, dying instantly.

Replies From View

thugler

It's rubbish, the controls don't work properly and it's actually worse than the last olympics game.

Dark Sky

In this game do you get to control a realistic avatar of Tom Daley which you can make obey your every bidding?

If not, why does this game exist

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: KLG-7A on July 28, 2012, 09:19:35 PM
£40? No sale, sir. No sale.

If it's anything like the World Cup games, it'll be at least half that amount a week after it's over.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: turnstyle on July 30, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
I broke the world record in discus last night.

Then I looked around me and realised that I'd achieved nothing tangible, and that as an adult man the hour I'd spent playing the game would have been better used fixing the light in the bathroom.

This was rudely bought home to me when my girlfriend slipped in the toilet and fractured her skull on the sink in the dark, dying instantly.

Had you actually become a world-class thrower of the discus, and thrown yonder heavy plate further than any other person ever has, you still would have achieved nothing tangible. The big secret of the real Olympics is that the vast majority of it is fucking pointless, and even the best of the events is merely "kind of a handy ability to have" rather than, you know, important. At least breaking the virtual discus record doesn't waste years of your life, give you one big wonky arm and rip up a bunch of perfectly good astroturf.

Condolences on your ugly dead girlfriend who was also fat.

turnstyle

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on July 30, 2012, 08:40:00 PM

Condolences on your ugly dead girlfriend who was also fat.

Thanks. I thought you might be more upset, as she was also YOUR MUM, but glad to hear you're taking her death well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 30, 2012, 06:42:59 PM
If it's anything like the World Cup games, it'll be at least half that amount a week after it's over.

And a year later 50 pence.

falafel

Quote from: turnstyle on July 31, 2012, 11:58:39 AM
Thanks. I thought you might be more upset, as she was also YOUR MUM, but glad to hear you're taking her death well.

To be honest, serves her right for trying to drink from the toilet in the dark, but I guess that's what dogs do.